SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 27, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #11,671 of 15,612
Ok so I am having a problem of sorts and getting really frustrated. Went to work today and went out during my break. Turned on my 1AM2 in the hope of listening some music. First track played. Then silence. I checked. Hit the play button. And a message popped up saying I do not have internet connection. I thought its strange coz I downloaded those tracks? They were in fact listed on my offline lists of songs. I moved from one track to the next. Same message. And the orange icon right next to each track indicating hi res or cd quality disappears as i choose that track which signifies I lost that track. In the end I ended up with Madonna lol. Every single track from her I can play offline. All the rest of my artists wouldn’t play. Went back to the office and reconnected to the wifi. Had to download everything again. Tehn went out to check. I can play the firstbtrack of each artist then it’ll stop playing. And that message that I am not connected will appear again. What am I doing wrong? I have a subscription to Qobuz so I should be able to play them all even offline? What’s the point of my DAP if I need to be connected all the time?
The point of an DAP is the Sound Quality.

You can't put 21 Wound Capacitors with 6 Large LCs and an 4.4mm Plug into an Smartphone. That is why you have an DAP.

The newer DAPs have Android and WiFi so they support Streaming and the Streaming Apps define what they need to work. That is unrelated to the DAP and what you buy an DAP for.

If you have High End Headphones, you need an DAP, no matter if you use Streaming or not.

You buy the Headphones --> You buy the DAP because you need it to make most out of the Headphones.

The reason to buy an DAP is not to listen to music without internet connection, an Smartphone can do that as good.

Jun 27, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #11,672 of 15,612
Ok so I am having a problem of sorts and getting really frustrated. Went to work today and went out during my break. Turned on my 1AM2 in the hope of listening some music. First track played. Then silence. I checked. Hit the play button. And a message popped up saying I do not have internet connection. I thought its strange coz I downloaded those tracks? They were in fact listed on my offline lists of songs. I moved from one track to the next. Same message. And the orange icon right next to each track indicating hi res or cd quality disappears as i choose that track which signifies I lost that track. In the end I ended up with Madonna lol. Every single track from her I can play offline. All the rest of my artists wouldn’t play. Went back to the office and reconnected to the wifi. Had to download everything again. Tehn went out to check. I can play the firstbtrack of each artist then it’ll stop playing. And that message that I am not connected will appear again. What am I doing wrong? I have a subscription to Qobuz so I should be able to play them all even offline? What’s the point of my DAP if I need to be connected all the time?

Not just Qubuz, many streaming apps need connection and re-login or even re-download downloaded contents every now and then (esp if connection is lost for awhile) to ensure active subscription, no matter how stupid that sounds. That happens more on DAPs and less on smartphones as usually connection is maintained throughout the day on phones.

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #11,673 of 15,612
question to any wm1a previous owners ,

how is 1a2 compared to 1a when using mr walkman's FWs ?

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #11,674 of 15,612
question to any wm1a previous owners ,

how is 1a2 compared to 1a when using mr walkman's FWs ?
The WM1AM2 is, imho, better than both WM1A and WM1Z, not just a bit, significantly. I owned both and tested them with and without custom firmware and region codes and whatever.

Its better in every aspect you can think of. Software, Features and especially Sound.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #11,675 of 15,612
I think Qobuz may need an Internet connection otherwise it cannot determine whether you have an active subscription or not.

To use the Qobuz app you probably need the Internet for this reason.

That said you can purchase and download tracks, copy them to the SD Card and then you can use the Internal app to play the tracks.

The other solution is to connect to the office WiFi, or use your phone as a WiFi hotspot.

I do this sometimes and Mirror my home WiFi settings so the devices connect as if they are at home. I do have an unlimited plan on my mobile though.
Thank you as always. At least now I know it’s not me being a noob with DAPs and Qobuz lol. I never experienced this with being an Apple music subscriber for years. This will pose as a challenge for me being that I travel and was hoping to take this with me. With Apple music all I need is to dl albums and tracks I want and Inlisten to them for weeks without any connection. I do have unlimited data with my provider but that wouldn’t work when I take my 20+ hour flight to Asia. Guess my only solution would be to purchase music, or take my Questyle M15 dongle with me lol

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #11,676 of 15,612
Thank you as always. At least now I know it’s not me being a noob with DAPs and Qobuz lol. I never experienced this with being an Apple music subscriber for years. This will pose as a challenge for me being that I travel and was hoping to take this with me. With Apple music all I need is to dl albums and tracks I want and Inlisten to them for weeks without any connection. I do have unlimited data with my provider but that wouldn’t work when I take my 20+ hour flight to Asia. Guess my only solution would be to purchase music, or take my Questyle M15 dongle with me lol
Of course if you have any CDs you can rip them into Flac with something called dbPowerAmp. That's what I did as I had many hundreds of CDs.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #11,677 of 15,612
Jun 27, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #11,678 of 15,612
The WM1AM2 is, imho, better than both WM1A and WM1Z, not just a bit, significantly. I owned both and tested them with and without custom firmware and region codes and whatever.

Its better in every aspect you can think of. Software, Features and especially Sound.
For me the M2 sounded more dynamic and “faster” than the non M2
Both are warmish but the non M2 is a bit too warm to my liking
So i preffer the M2

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #11,679 of 15,612

Thanks for this, because I am a former 1A owner who had Mr. Walkman mods on it...and I wondered how much better 1A2 was over the 1st edition because I am in the market for one soon.Good to know 1A2 is a huge step up

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #11,681 of 15,612
Do files stored on the internal and SD card sound noticably better than streaming music?
To my ears yes but Qobuz (or even Roon) still sounds very good so the gap is not massive.

If you have purchased any music from Qobuz you can copy it to the SD Card and easily test this vs. the streaming version.

I think it's better personally but just my opinion ofc.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #11,682 of 15,612
Hi guys! Recently on the fense for a WM1ZM2 or WM1AM2, have a newbie question, what exactly are the differences between these 2? Is there any other difference beside the case material and Kimber cable? Could someone please guide me to some sound comparison of these 2 if there's any?

Thanks in advance
I currently using a SP2000T with U12t, wondering would ZM2 be a solid upgrade? How about AM2 then? And how much is the SQ difference between ZM2 and AM2

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #11,683 of 15,612
Hi guys! Recently on the fense for a WM1ZM2 or WM1AM2, have a newbie question, what exactly are the differences between these 2? Is there any other difference beside the case material and Kimber cable? Could someone please guide me to some sound comparison of these 2 if there's any?

Thanks in advance
I currently using a SP2000T with U12t, wondering would ZM2 be a solid upgrade? How about AM2 then? And how much is the SQ difference between ZM2 and AM2
Search bar on thread (keywords) will give postings/articles posted in past by Sonywalkmanuser + others to take notes vs differences.

My perspective, owning 1ZM2 from 1AM2- one and done DAP for at least 5+> years, development of M2 from M1 a solid 6 year gap. Sure technology is always changing and not to bash but seeing other compaines release something every 1-2 years is a litte cringy but thats business.

Sound: Similair signatures, 1Z more bass emphasizes(slam comes in and slowly decays off), smooth romantic treble, intimate soundstage, warm, rich, analog. 1A simialir and not far behide, a little more brighter faster dynamics, slightly more brittle at the end. Tough decision and depends your needs/wants. Myself music is a passionate hobby for my whole life, this will be a player I'll be keeping for a long foreseeable future. Do miss the lightweight black brick weight but you do get use to 1Z heft after awhile. Most of the time music is spent listening, releaxing, eyes closed, full sensory deprivation experience. The sony does that for me so happy to be part of the WM1XM2 commmunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back