SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #10,966 of 15,632
Here is a very interesting article on "Why digital circuits influence the sound quality" by Hans Beekhuyzen

This article is on why digital switches (routers/switches) affect sound quality, but it applies equally to any source/medium, like a DAP, Transport, cables, clocks, power supplies, etc.
The core learning (for me) is that digital data is different from digital audio.
- Data can be transported accurately, regardless of timing/jitter/noise. For Data, it is true that "bits are bits". This is the technical rationale, that as long as this is true, then there can be no difference attributed to sources, cables, network switches, etc. i.e. If the bits received is the same as the bits transmitted, then nothing else can matter, and there can be no affect on audio. This is the simplistic view, and it sounds so logical that it is hard to refute. But things are not that simple....

- Audio uses the data, but the end result, even though the data is perfect, can still result in a different sound, due to timing/jitter, noise, etc., and how these can affect the translation of those bits to music.
You could describe the situation as:
Data is 1 dimensional, and much easier to do than Music, which is 3 dimensional, and depends on attributes that do not matter to Data. (No, this is not science, just my simplistic way to try to understand this complex area)

So the above is something to think about, as long as the mantra of "bits is bits" has not hardened your mind to any other possible complexity when an old Data Transport medium is used for Audio, which it was not designed for.

And if the thought that Audio can be affected by different sources gives you heart failure, then by all means disregard this.
The hobby is about enjoying music, and as long as you are doing that.......

Oh, and I've found a cheap MicroSD card (Sandisk High Endurance 256gb) which sounds excellent. But that subject is even more divisive, so please disregard. One heart attack a day is enough......

thank you for the explanation, yes enjoying the hobby and learning new thing alone the way ... very enjoyment path for me now.

yes i will not even want to ask about which sd card sound better ... its not my level ... yet ... lol

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #10,967 of 15,632
For USB connection, I don’t think clock of source matters. It’s just that Walkman is a clean source running on battery and hence the signal is free of any noise if it is in Airplane mode.

For coax, Optical and more so in I2S, the clock of source matters a lot.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #10,968 of 15,632
For USB connection, I don’t think clock of source matters. It’s just that Walkman is a clean source running on battery and hence the signal is free of any noise if it is in Airplane mode.

It depends. Agree, that USB can be less affected, under less demanding applications/circumstances. IF the source clock is decent. But if the source clock is unstable, along with high power noise, and a polluted GRD plane, then USB will be affected. Computer Audio forums will give a lot more background on this.

For me, I have come to believe that it is safer to think that "everything matters". Maybe that is a form of OCD, but what the heck, whatever makes you happy, eh?

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #10,969 of 15,632

Usb as digital sound is just so so. Coax and optical are more for dedicated sources. It is not just all about noises , but also the interfaces in itself as well. USB was designed to be a universal interface and not dedicatedly audio signals only. There are differences to be heard between all 3 sources. In a sense, I2S and optical are really a much better way to conduct music via Digital, but they are only capable of conducting chips to chips at the moment as there are no manufacturers to interested in developing higher than 198Khz for external usages. Therefore, whoever wants to listen to higher than that rates would have to stick with USB. Additionally, I2S is multi bits only , so it can not pass through Pure 1 bit DSD like USB does. But then again, if performances are the real point, even when usb is conducting higher rates or pure 1 bit, it isn’t as good as I2S and Optical. There is no debate of how convenience usb is. This were just my own experiences and opinions

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #10,970 of 15,632
After prolong listening for a day with various source, I really feel Sony 1am2 usb out is simply amazing when connected to my h7. It's simple trash handphone / laptop usb out. Maybe cos it's HiRes Sampling is working it's magic in the background?

Clarity, separation, bass tightness, soundstage is simple top notch on h7 when using sony as source. This pairing is simply a *upgrade of 1am2 to me since Sony has no line out which I can play with.

But 1am2 by itself is still very good compare to my other dap like ibass, but it's just so slightly a step below h7 pairing.

20230321_203452.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #10,971 of 15,632
After prolong listening for a day with various source, I really feel Sony 1am2 usb out is simply amazing when connected to my h7. It's simple trash handphone / laptop usb out.

Clarity, separation, bass tightness, soundstage is simple top notch on h7 when using sony as source. This pairing is simply a *upgrade of 1am2 to me since Sony has no line out which I can play with.

But 1am2 by itself is still very good compare to my other dap like ibass, but it's just so slightly a step below h7 pairing.

20230321_203452.jpg
Line-Out doesn't exist with Digital Amps but you can just go to 120/120

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #10,972 of 15,632
After prolong listening for a day with various source, I really feel Sony 1am2 usb out is simply amazing when connected to my h7. It's simple trash handphone / laptop usb out.

20230321_203452.jpg
Ibasso is pretty lousy in usb out, coax out though is pretty amazing. You may want to try that instead, but you are capped out at DSD64

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #10,974 of 15,632
I just bought a used WM1AM2 from Japan. I wondered where I can find the number of hours the 4.4 and 3.5mm outputs have been used? I don’t find the info in the About Device section.
search in the walkman app settings

Where exactly? I cannot find anything in the manual about this. There is no way to see how many hours the jacks have been used for other than somehow keeping track yourself, right?

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #10,976 of 15,632
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #10,978 of 15,632
Thanks. I had searched for "hours", "number" and "playtime" in the manual.

Do you know if this also counts the streaming time (since it's in the Walkman music player only)?
Only counts when you use the Walkman app

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #10,979 of 15,632
Are we far enough in the product life for someone to advise whether the battery saver feature is worthwhile? It’s really bugging me that it will only charge to 88%. I realize the M1 would charge to a similar level but it would display 100% which somehow put my mind at ease. I’m not overly concerned with reducing my battery life but I certainly don’t want it to be severely diminished.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #10,980 of 15,632
Are we far enough in the product life for someone to advise whether the battery saver feature is worthwhile? It’s really bugging me that it will only charge to 88%. I realize the M1 would charge to a similar level but it would display 100% which somehow put my mind at ease. I’m not overly concerned with reducing my battery life but I certainly don’t want it to be severely diminished.

It is worthwhile, and 88% is perfectly normal. My ZX507 is charged up to 90, so is my WM1A M1 AND shows 90 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back