SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 19, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #10,936 of 15,629
Thank you for answer, this is the pic?
Klick on the volume control (first menu Point), is there an notice about high gain at the bottom?

51u9UM8OcWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #10,940 of 15,629
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #10,941 of 15,629
What? $US 500 for a brand new 1AM2?
indeed. It just costs S/. 1,999 - which is just above 500 dollar.

we should start creating a list where we get am2 and zm2 for the best price :) - there must be a country where you can get the zm2 for 999 dollars, i feel that :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #10,942 of 15,629
Does a DAP like the Sony use analogue or digital volume control?

The reason I ask is that on my desktop system I have always found in Amazon music that "volume normalizing" to play all songs at equal volume damages the sound quality, but with my Sony dap, it is actually IMHO not damaged at all.

I'd appreciate some pointers on this....

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #10,943 of 15,629
Does a DAP like the Sony use analogue or digital volume control?

The reason I ask is that on my desktop system I have always found in Amazon music that "volume normalizing" to play all songs at equal volume damages the sound quality, but with my Sony dap, it is actually IMHO not damaged at all.

I'd appreciate some pointers on this....
The WM1A/Zm2 S-Master is a Direct Digital design. It stays digital from input to digital amp, so it is not like most DAPs that have a DAC->Analog Amp.
The digital volume control is also different, as it alters the voltage, so the pulse stream is not manipulated like on a typical digital volume control that alters the MSB bit to change the volume. The Sony method changes the amplitude of the pulse, without needing to alter the bitstream, which needs a very precise power supply. The advantage is that the signal does not need any alteration to change the volume. This is one of the advantages of the S-Master design

https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122
The S-Master chip designed by Sony's engineering department is a highly integrated chip that integrates DAC and amplification. Not only is the chip less than half the size of a traditional audiophile DAC, but it also uses simultaneous digital signal processing and amplification to further reduce distortion. , and through the digital volume control based on changing the voltage, it can also avoid the sound quality degradation of the traditional analog volume at low volumes

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #10,944 of 15,629
indeed. It just costs S/. 1,999 - which is just above 500 dollar.

we should start creating a list where we get am2 and zm2 for the best price :) - there must be a country where you can get the zm2 for 999 dollars, i feel that :)
1AM2 could be that cheap, but 1ZM2 could not. The chassis for the OG 1Z is $1050 for part

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #10,945 of 15,629
1AM2 could be that cheap, but 1ZM2 could not. The chassis for the OG 1Z is $1050 for part
yes it could be cheap but I do not think it costs $US 500 for a brand new unit, that price is too crazy.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #10,948 of 15,629
i tried 1am2 usb out (hi res turn on 96khz) to shanling h7 dac for kkbox music streaming playback.

Listening from H7, music sound more smooth, natural, better sound staging compare to my Samsung s22 usb out (194 khz) to h7.

is there a reason or I am imagining thing in my mind?

Does it mean if i use h7 dac, my source whether it's hp, pc or dap, will affect my h7 dac performance?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #10,949 of 15,629
i tried 1am2 usb out (hi res turn on 96khz) to shanling h7 dac for kkbox music streaming playback.

Listening from H7, music sound more smooth, natural, better sound staging compare to my Samsung s22 usb out (194 khz) to h7.

Does it mean if i use h7 dac, my source whether it's hp, pc or dap, will affect my h7 dac performance?
Nah, just a marketing hype to sell more audiophile stuff. I literally meant it. But also, it isn’t like there are people who doesn’t hear the differences, and the engineers intentionally engineered it to be dedicated for audio quality. So your questions lead to 3 different groups

1/ the group that believe everything is marketing hype. Because companies need to sell stuff

2/ the group who can hear the differences

3/ the group of engineerings who designed audiophile stuff just for audio dedication

there is also a 4th group, who prioritize budgets over the hobby

So, if you can hear the differences, then you are good for 2nd group. But I feel sorry for your wallet :D

now, your question , yes it will have an effects with different sources

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #10,950 of 15,629

Uh, from my experience, yes. Just the power source or cable for the source will change the sound. YMMV though.

Bad for the wallet, totally agree with that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back