SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #10,111 of 15,612
I had a Hugo 2 and currently a 1AM2 but I only use easy drive IEM's now.

The Hugo 2 excelled with headphones but i heard background noise with sensitive IEM's.

On a pure Sound Quality basis if using headphones and hence need decent power, then still the Hugo 2.

Thats ignoring the massive other differences of DAC/AMP vs DAP and whole different use.

Both great but Sony has their house Tunning, warm/musical and Chord have their flavour.

And, if you are bought into balanced cable use the Hugo2 is SE only.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #10,112 of 15,612
I had a Hugo 2 and currently a 1AM2 but I only use easy drive IEM's now.

The Hugo 2 excelled with headphones but i heard background noise with sensitive IEM's.

On a pure Sound Quality basis if using headphones and hence need decent power, then still the Hugo 2.

Thats ignoring the massive other differences of DAC/AMP vs DAP and whole different use.

Both great but Sony has their house Tunning, warm/musical.
As I suspected, I enjoy my Hugo2go sonically but I’m a bit disappointed with the battery life of it (only about 5-6 hours) with my MDRZ1R. I’m working my way through this thread and wanted to get a feel for what battery life people are averaging with their 1AM2 streaming Hi-Res? I’d be happy with 12 hours and charging a couple of times a week rather than daily as things stand.

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #10,113 of 15,612
I tend to listen offline streaming service music rather than live streaming so not got experience of battery live streaming. I'd expect over 10-12hrs.

Sony is half battery efficiency with streaming apps vs Walkman Music with own files.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #10,114 of 15,612
Thanks for the insight. What’s a decent price for a mint 2nd hand Japan version of the 1AM2?

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #10,116 of 15,612
Currently using the MDR-Z1R and Monarch MkII with my WM1AM2 (no cap), looking for suggestions for other pairings people enjoy for me to explore. No preference between IEMs and over-ears, just anything you guys thing pair well with the WM and gives a different soundscape than what I already have.

Thanks again in advance for the suggestions! PS I will be at canjam NYC so will be able to try a variety of things there!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #10,118 of 15,612
Currently using the MDR-Z1R and Monarch MkII with my WM1AM2 (no cap), looking for suggestions for other pairings people enjoy for me to explore. No preference between IEMs and over-ears, just anything you guys thing pair well with the WM and gives a different soundscape than what I already have.

Thanks again in advance for the suggestions! PS I will be at canjam NYC so will be able to try a variety of things there!
I use custom fit iems - itsfit fusion and 64audio A18t with my WM1AM2 (no volume cap). Both are very good pairing and different from one another. thus can get two different experiences. A18t gives a closer experience to the soundstage and seems to give the mids some more body than itsfit fusion (which is no slouch either). Both have a very wide sound stage. itsfit fusion has dynamic driver and punches much better in the lower frequencies than the BA bass in A18t.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #10,119 of 15,612

High gain or low gain for your monarch on 1am2?

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #10,120 of 15,612

Have you tried Sony IER-Z1R ?
Thats the reason I bought the WM1AM2
😅

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #10,121 of 15,612

I am using 1AM2 with MDR-Z1R, and the walkman sounds perfectly on low gain 75/120 with my Z1R

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #10,122 of 15,612
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #10,123 of 15,612
Currently using the MDR-Z1R and Monarch MkII with my WM1AM2 (no cap), looking for suggestions for other pairings people enjoy for me to explore. No preference between IEMs and over-ears,
Give a try to SONY IER-Z1R. It is marvellous with all my SONY DAPs.
I do not have MDR-Z1R. So I can not say if it is different sonically from MDR-Z1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back