SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #10,096 of 15,604
What are these BTW? I’m new to Sony DAPs.

Check this link to get high level idea
https://twister6.com/2017/12/16/sony-nw-wm1z-dap/3/
854AFAEF-EE4A-4C52-AC45-1E08490035A6.png

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #10,097 of 15,604
Finally managed to sort out my albums where the Walkman wasn't recognising the ID Tagging... (Sonos and ZX1 would recognise)... I just selected all my FLAC folders in mp3tag and did a bulk select all on all folders, <File>, then <save tag> on about 5000 songs. My WM1AM2 seems to recongnise the tagging now and search functions finds them.. bizarre..!

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #10,098 of 15,604
Does the wm1 series have latency with usb mode on computers ? Music, movies, visio, games. Does the sony driver improves the experience?

I am asking because according to this sony link https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000460962.html :
  • You cannot listen to played-back sound wirelessly while the USB-DAC function is active.
  • The USB-DAC function is designed exclusively for enjoying music. The player processes the audio signals prior to playback. As a result, the audio on the player becomes slightly delayed compared to the computer. This means that images and audio may not be synchronized when you use the USB-DAC function for the following purposes:
    • Playing videos
    • Playing games
    • Use the USB-DAC function to enjoy music on its own.
I wonder if the latency problem exist in wireless mode or also in wired usb dac mode. Or does latency disappear when features like DSEE are off ?

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #10,099 of 15,604
Does the wm1 series have latency with usb mode on computers ? Music, movies, visio, games. Does the sony driver improves the experience?

I am asking because according to this sony link https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000460962.html :
  • You cannot listen to played-back sound wirelessly while the USB-DAC function is active.
  • The USB-DAC function is designed exclusively for enjoying music. The player processes the audio signals prior to playback. As a result, the audio on the player becomes slightly delayed compared to the computer. This means that images and audio may not be synchronized when you use the USB-DAC function for the following purposes:
    • Playing videos
    • Playing games
I wonder if the latency problem exist in wireless mode or also in wired usb dac mode. Or does latency disappear when features like DSEE are off ?
Yes. I haven't tried wireless mode, but I do know that there is indeed a delay with USB DAC on PC. At worst, it can be like a 2 - 3 second delay. What this means is that, for example, after you pause a Youtube video, the audio will still play for 2 - 3 seconds. Disgusting, really. I was hoping to use the WM1ZM2 as a desktop solution as well, via USB DAC, but it seems like this use case was hampered to begin with, which I discovered with great disappointment.

It's fine if you're just listening to music without any visuals. However, if you're watching a Youtube video, you'll notice that the audio won't match up with mouth movements.

Yuck.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #10,100 of 15,604

• Playing videos
    • Playing games
Desktop DACs are right way to go for desktop usage. Sony DAPs are designed for 1 use case. Excellent playback from their Walkman music app and sound processing features.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #10,101 of 15,604
Yes. I haven't tried wireless mode, but I do know that there is indeed a delay with USB DAC on PC. At worst, it can be like a 2 - 3 second delay. What this means is that, for example, after you pause a Youtube video, the audio will still play for 2 - 3 seconds. Disgusting, really.
This latency is disappointing indeed. Yes it would be nice to know if there is latency in wifi, blutooth and DSEE on/off.
Otherwise I really don't know why I bought the IER-z1r on my computer for. I'm still hoping Sony make music equipment for people who work too. Besides, some music are enjoyed watching concerts, opera and musical comedy.

Desktop DACs are right way to go for desktop usage. Sony DAPs are designed for 1 use case. Excellent playback from their Walkman music app and sound processing features.
What desktop dacs pair well for the IER-z1r ? Can some fix the thin vocals like the wm1 series ?

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #10,102 of 15,604
What desktop dacs pair well for the IER-z1r ? Can some fix the thin vocals like the wm1 series ?
R2R DACs will give thick tonality. Try to find Bifrost 2 OG it goes for like $450 in used market and it sounds thick but you will need an amp as well.
Try out some of the AIO from Ifi signature series as well. Ifi doesn’t sound thin and always sound good.
Even old Mojo 1 had warmer sound but not sure about the new one.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #10,103 of 15,604
Bifrost 2/any R2R DACs. But going desktop route for an IEM alone is not good. Try Shanling DAPs, iFi iDSD Signature

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #10,104 of 15,604
Does anyone here has found a way to use convolution filter for playback? For the 1A/ZM2?

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #10,106 of 15,604
I don't own the either of the Sony DAPs in question, but have you tried RootlessJamesDSP?
I see some of the DAPs have started to have systemwide EQ etc., and I hope it's just a matter of time for Android to open this open up officially. We are two years or so away from this to be standard/rolled out with all DAPs is my 2 cents. I've not tried this tool, as I am fine with the sound as it is.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #10,107 of 15,604
Cool…
1C7D11B7-6690-4482-8E62-FB725BBFF2EA.jpeg

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #10,108 of 15,604
If you like warm then the Sony is good, but the iBasso with standard AMP is meant to be a bit warm but you can buy and change AMP modules with the iBasso. I'd say Hiby with ESS DAC's isn't a warm sig, more neutral.

I'd still suggest you compare the DX240 vs 1AM2 for your streaming needs. DX240 is smaller/lighter too.
DX240 on AMP8 MKII is warmer, more spacious, and more refined than my Sony ZX507. However on stock AMP1 MKIII. DX240 is still more detailed and reference like vs the warmer ZX507. DX240 is the best of both worlds due to switchable AMPs and this is why i bought it.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #10,110 of 15,604
Does anyone have the 1AM2 and the Hugo2 and can provide a brief comparison of the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back