SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 19, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #9,646 of 15,612
Hi all
Been in this forum for quite sometime but yet im still newbie here so i need some inputs from the pros here

Currently im using sony wm1a with mr walkman optimization with my sony iem Z1R

I love the sound, and everything about it.
But now i starting to listen to apple music loseless streaming more and more.

With my current setup i need to connect the Wm1A to my ipad or iphone using apple cck + sony cable , so sometimes if i want to listen casually i’m lazy to connect all the cables.

I’ve been thinking to get the Wm1A2 but still can’t justify it’s price, but now they releases the zx707 so I’m tempted to get it instead.

Just want some info
Wm1A2 vs zx707 is there any big differences in the sound quality and featured ?
I know the zx707 uses android 12 where the Wm1A2 uses android 11
How about the output from the balance output ?
With my current setup I normally listened at around 80-90% volume on high gain .
I searched the specs and found that
Zx707 output is 230mw vs Wm1A/Wm1A2 250mw
Will it be enough to drive the iem z1r without pushing it so hard ?

Thank you 🙏🏼

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #9,647 of 15,612
Hi all. Looking for recommendations on the best way to connect the WM1ZM2 to the TA-ZH1ES. There is a port on the side to connect with the WM1Z, I have that cable but not the WM1Z. Is there an adapter, or should I go with USB, or another solution for optimal sound quality.

Thanks,
Ken

I connect mine just using the USB-C port from the Walkman into the USB plug on the back of the Tazzy. The Walkman pops up a message confirming it is connected to the TA-ZH1ES and then work fine.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #9,648 of 15,612
Battery life has been insane after updating firmware to 1.04. Left mine playing overnight in airplane mode and only lost about 20%. 🤯 Still sounds as good as ever. 👍 I have HiRes streaming turned on too.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #9,649 of 15,612
I have been more or less following this thread since inception however, at 638 pages, it is easy to not pay detailed attention.
I have owned a 1Z since release however I must admit it does not see frequent use - I only take it with me when going to my second home.
I use my Utopia exclusively in DAC mode streaming Qobuz from my iPhone however I must admit I am not fond of the wonky nature of connectivity -

iPhone > Apple CCK cable > USB cable > tethered to the Walkman.

Things would be much "cleaner" with the new 1ZM2 with native Qobuz streaming and the Utopia plugged directly in. I wonder if I am crazy and should simply soldier on as it - extra cables and all. I have concerns about the "lag" in using the onboard apps (Qobuz) as the iPhone Qobuz app runs perfectly. I also gather the sound signature has changed and things are "cleaner" but not necessarily better.

Can anyone bring me up to date on current thoughts on the original vs. the new Z
I recently picked up a second hand 1Z. I also got the micro usb in to sony port from Japan for $80 (too much) and I have a 4in lightning to micro usb cable, so I stack iphone to 1z in DAC mode, with really no extra cable. Just a thought, a couple cable changes would be far less expensive than getting a ZM2

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #9,650 of 15,612
I just noticed my wm1am2 battery drain faster after the latest firmware update..

After updating the unit, i charged it to 88% with battery care, and then turned it off and left it for 2 days, and today when i played it just now, it started at 88% and left 53% of the battery for 7 hours of playback(which means 5% per hour), nothing has changed before after the firmware update on the settings/sdcard/playlist: always only on direct mode on, thats it and nothing else.

Before usually it drains only 3% per hour.(edit: more like 2.5% per hour because it was always getting close to the 40hours per charge just as sony spec) Strange..

I have factory resetted the unit just now, and will be charging it to 100% to test further and report here..

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #9,651 of 15,612
For those facing increased battery drain after firmware update, I would recommend to do a one time database update. Not sure if this will solve the problem but what I noticed is the first time when I did a database update after firmware update, it took a damn long time.

I am suspecting that when you are updating the database, Sony is doing some kind of one time file analysis.

If you don’t do the above step, then every time you play a music file, this one file analysis happens and this increases battery drain.

If you already updated database, then the battery life might show improvement instead of drain. Why is this likely? Sony could be pre-caching some of the AI sound processing parameters for each track.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #9,652 of 15,612
I think Spotify is an exception case, it seems buggy on the M2 Walkman. It doesn’t seem to wake up properly from sleep and takes a longer time to show up. Other apps seems fine when waking up from sleep.

Working fine for me, Amazon Music is very sluggish.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #9,653 of 15,612
Mine is getting worse after using 6 months, about 10 % per hour, im trying few times battery full power cycle by draining it 0 % (total flat, can't even boot) and charge to 100 %. Will monitor it, if do not improve, will send in Sony service centre next few weeks. Btw, im playing music with only DSEE on, something definitely not right.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #9,654 of 15,612
Mine is getting worse after using 6 months, about 10 % per hour, im trying few times battery full power cycle by draining it 0 % (total flat, can't even boot) and charge to 100 %. Will monitor it, if do not improve, will send in Sony service centre next few weeks. Btw, im playing music with only DSEE on, something definitely not right.
To clear your doubts, I recommend to disable battery care one time, charge up to 100%, switch off high res streaming mode and use direct source. See how many hours you can get from one single charge. This will confirm if your battery is faulty or not. Do take a screenshot of the result in case you want to send for warranty claims.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #9,656 of 15,612
To clear your doubts, I recommend to disable battery care one time, charge up to 100%, switch off high res streaming mode and use direct source. See how many hours can you can get from one single charge. This will confirm if your battery is faulty or not. Do take a screenshot of the result in case you want to send for warranty claims.
Btw, what is the average estimate hours it can run with this mode, say with only few DSD files in my library, 70 % aac and 30 % flac files. I mean on a normal unit.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #9,657 of 15,612
Btw, what is the average estimate hours it can run with this mode, say with only few DSD files in my library, 70 % aac and 30 % flac files. I mean on a normal unit.
Upwards of 30hours, so it’s like a ball park between 30 to 35hours.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #9,658 of 15,612
I have done my first battery power cycle. From 100 % to 47 % left now, the battery usage shows Music player 7hrs 45 mins. Currently Im playing with only DSEE. I will try your method the next battery power cycle.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #9,659 of 15,612
For people facing faster than usual battey drain:
What charger do you use?
Do you use your mobile's crazy fast charger?

I noticed this with my unit.
1.With my 65W Mobile Fast charger,the unit charges up quickly but drains equally quickly.
2.When i use a generic brand 2A amp charger,it takes longer to charge to 88% but the unit seems to hold charge much better.
3.The best battery life I got was when I plugged the unit into my PC(which on continuously) and charged over the USB. I forgot it was plugged in and how long it took to charge.

Please do give it a try.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #9,660 of 15,612
For people facing faster than usual battey drain:
What charger do you use?
Do you use your mobile's crazy fast charger?

I noticed this with my unit.
1.With my 65W Mobile Fast charger,the unit charges up quickly but drains equally quickly.
2.When i use a generic brand 2A amp charger,it takes longer to charge to 88% but the unit seems to hold charge much better.
3.The best battery life I got was when I plugged the unit into my PC(which on continuously) and charged over the USB. I forgot it was plugged in and how long it took to charge.

Please do give it a try.
May i know the estimate hours for the 3 scenarios on your case. And with DSP settings or direct mode? I might have to make a case scenario to the Sony guys in the Sony centre, just in case they ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back