SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 13, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #9,346 of 15,612
Do the other high end DAP threads get bogged down in mSD card talk ?
They got bogged by complains about non working streaming apps, buggy software, slow database updates and discussion about hardware defects or cellular interferences.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #9,347 of 15,612
I figured out the fix to my album art issue!

Sony requires a very specific type of metadata. I used MP3tag to fix my files and add album art. You have to remove any multiples and need to remove and reapply album art if it's encoded with front vs back of album cover specifications. The walkman doesn't display multiple covers or front vs back so it can't process this data

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #9,350 of 15,612
Does anyone know if Sony has a dock similar to what AK announced for their players to use with more demanding headphones?

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #9,353 of 15,612
Is this for the cap or an uncapped version, and is it high or low gain?
Mine is the EU volume limited version, purchased directly from Sony in the UK. It has no gain control as far as I'm aware.

For reference the specs of the AEON Flow are:
  • Efficiency - 93dB/mW - Closed back
  • Impedance - 13 ohms
I'm AEON without any of the included filters, the warmer sound signature of the wm1am2 doesn't seem to require them for me anyway, just the right level of sparkly top end to give an awesome soundstage, this is out of the 4.4mm socket.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #9,354 of 15,612
I have just updated to firmware 1.04. First thing i did when listening, i have to turn down the volume by 4 db. The sound feels like Sony has adjusted the voltage, a little like high gain sound. Hmm, need few days to adjust to it, think i will do a factory reset tomorrow, my habit after updating firmware on all my devices.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #9,355 of 15,612
Sato: We also believe that the best music experience is for customers to purchase music and put it in the internal memory to listen to music with better sound quality, but that doesn't mean we deny streaming music services. not. First of all, we hope that you will use streaming music services as an opportunity to meet people, watch music videos on video services, and listen to music in various ways. In particular, the latter is recommended as a way to enjoy this device that is equipped with Android.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/230111/

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #9,356 of 15,612
I have just updated to firmware 1.04. First thing i did when listening, i have to turn down the volume by 4 db. The sound feels like Sony has adjusted the voltage, a little like high gain sound. Hmm, need few days to adjust to it, think i will do a factory reset tomorrow, my habit after updating firmware on all my devices.
How does the -4 db translates to the volume number on the walkman?

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #9,358 of 15,612
From 76 low gain to 72 now
For my IER-M9, I went down from 90 low gain to 85 low gain.

This firmware update is unbelievably good. I am really surprised at the big jump in sound quality from a simple firmware update.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #9,359 of 15,612
i used to be on high gain for few months, it sounds good with very good treble , bass and vocal, but sometimes it gives me spine chill, not suitable for long listening. Then i switch to low gain, better for longer listening. Think i will like this firmware too.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #9,360 of 15,612
I updated about ten hours ago, no real diferences noted. I did hope Sony had seen sense and at least increased the volume limit slightly on the EU version but sadly no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back