SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 12, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #9,301 of 15,612
I know this is a WM1AM2 thread but is anyone planning on buying the ZX707? I'm curious about the sound differences.

I've got a ZX300 at the moment and I'm being tempted by the WM1AM2 but I'm not sure I'd be able to hear any audible differences. My favourite genres in order are Hip Hop, Rock, Dance (and it's many sub-genres) and Electronic.

There's nowhere in the UK for me to try them out either (I think)

Also where are people from the UK sourcing their uncapped WM1AM2s from? I looked on Amazon Japan but they only have a used one.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #9,302 of 15,612
I know this is a WM1AM2 thread but is anyone planning on buying the ZX707? I'm curious about the sound differences.

I've got a ZX300 at the moment and I'm being tempted by the WM1AM2 but I'm not sure I'd be able to hear any audible differences. My favourite genres in order are Hip Hop, Rock, Dance (and it's many sub-genres) and Electronic.

Also where are people from the UK sourcing their uncapped WM1AM2s from? I looked on Amazon Japan but they only have a used one.
I live in the US and just ordered one from eBay. Not sure how much taxes you’d have to pay though? eBay checkout will give you an estimate, but you need to check with customs as well… not sure if can find a third party warranty option in the UK? I did for here. It’s been too long since I lived in the UK… how I’d go about it.

The rest I can’t answer you.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #9,304 of 15,612
Yup, this card is highly recommended by many head-fi members.

More powerful LDPC error correction algorithms
Industrial grade firmware with proactive data refresh
Built in voltage regulation circuits

I shall pm you the final sound quality bottleneck that you need to remove for your Walkman.
Is this bottleneck also found in the first generation of NW1AM as well? If so, please PM too, thx.

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #9,306 of 15,612
For those still on 1.03 firmware and not sure if to update:

After much longer listening evaluations on firmware version 1.04.01 using a large variety of loseless pcm(non-flac) music.
I tried many DSP and Hi-res streaming on/off

I would think the 1.04 firmware does indeed have a sound improvement over 1.03.

Timbre reproduction of violins has improved, more bass warmth in the reverberations
Male vocals sound more throatier than before, like due to upper bass improvements
The common Hisses and Sibilant Sss from female vocals now feels even more gentle and has a silky like airiness.
Dynamic range seems more wider, so you might have to adjust volume down a notch due to the stronger output but the microdetails in the sound still remains audible.(this is speaking from listening in an extremely quiet environment)
The depth layering and imaging of instruments feels even more defined in the soundstage.
The audio output latency between song switching on the music app is reduced by abit
The overall Musicality, smoother rise of dynamic transients, more noticeable fine sound decays(especially for cymbals) and three dimensional feel has improved noticeably from my point of view.

I would regard this 1.04.01 firmware update as a major improvement to the sound quality for my optimised 1AM2 + ier m9.
The music app actually had a version increment to 2.0.2 as well.

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #9,307 of 15,612
can confirm too.. :D
Who knows perhaps Sony is watching this thread and is looking at Mr Walkman’s input. It’s not like he didn’t disturb their first release…

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #9,308 of 15,612

I upgraded to the 1AM2 from a ZX300 after having used it for 5 years.
The 1AM2 is an upgrade in every aspect of the ZX300(even with the MrWalkman firmwares). This is with Direct Source ON. 100hrs in,Still haven't got to explore the Audio Enhancements yet.
If you can afford the 1AM2,get it.

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #9,311 of 15,612
The new firmware really affects the sound quality positively even the changelog does not notice it.
I think It’s very difficult for Sony engineers to add “improved sound quality” into the change log.

The technical support might get flooded with requests to explain in detail what has improved, and as I believe most of us here know the hearing abilities and the gear setup is different for individuals. If Sony mention improved sound staging but the iem used by the individual is incapable of presenting this improvement?

Best thing for them to do is to not mention anything about the improvements and let people discover and enjoy the new sound.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #9,312 of 15,612
Anyone figured out the max Ohm for headphones yet? I know it’s not all, as some sources drive things better than others… but if anyone can say if it’s 100 ohm or 600 ohm…looking to add some more from here https://www.tgxear.com/ so far I got Serratus and they sound great even on dongles.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #9,313 of 15,612
The new firmware sounds amazingly on my MDR-Z1R connected directly to the walkman, really impress:beyersmile:

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #9,315 of 15,612

If you need a version without capacitors then apparently NPAudio has them for sale at £1,299.99, I've ordered stuff from there in the past, great seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back