SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 3, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #9,091 of 15,612
So I got my USB A to USB C cable today, much longer than the short one that Sony provided.

Using the USB DAC function on the ZM2, I noticed that "Direct Source: On" remained "On" even though I had untoggled it (swiped it left). Has anyone else had this problem? Must Direct Source be toggled on when using the Walkman as a USB DAC to PC?

I also noticed that stopping and playing audio on PC would be delayed. For example, the audio would continue for 1.5 seconds after I hit stop on PC. Anyone experienced these issues?

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #9,095 of 15,612
After taking a break from the WM2A for a bit, I turned it on the other day, wow it seemed way snappier than before?! Was there an update I missed?

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #9,096 of 15,612
This is an interesting tool for checking if your music collection is from upsampled or coded from a lossy source

https://losslessaudiochecker.com/
This is so interesting. I recently checked an album that I bought in FLAC format. Every time I played it on AM2 and enabled DSEE, I noticed more significant improvement than another flac file.
I tested with this tool, and it marked it as upsampled! More respect to Sony DSEE! Thanks for this.

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #9,097 of 15,612
On a whim ordered the Focal Clear (originals) to test out with the AM2.

There was a new pair on Amazon with 30 day returns

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #9,098 of 15,612
Now it has stopped working and I haven't changed anything again!
Strange that!, I was going to reply to you saying my Mac (MBP16 M1) was working.
But alas, when I went to test, "can't connect".
Restarted Sony ... no improvement.
Rebooted Mac ... works!.

Plugged in TB3 cable, Sony prompted for USB mode, select file transfer, android browser opens.
Disconnect Sony from USB ... library rebuild in progress, Done!.
It appears to be stable now.

Could have been an API or Process hung, I rarely reboot.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #9,099 of 15,612
This is so interesting. I recently checked an album that I bought in FLAC format. Every time I played it on AM2 and enabled DSEE, I noticed more significant improvement than another flac file.
I tested with this tool, and it marked it as upsampled! More respect to Sony DSEE! Thanks for this.
Sent you a new pm. Do consider what I suggested. It really significantly improves long term music listening enjoyment. You can use foobar2000 to do bulk conversion for this step.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #9,100 of 15,612
Strange that!, I was going to reply to you saying my Mac (MBP16 M1) was working.
But alas, when I went to test, "can't connect".
Restarted Sony ... no improvement.
Rebooted Mac ... works!.

Plugged in TB3 cable, Sony prompted for USB mode, select file transfer, android browser opens.
Disconnect Sony from USB ... library rebuild in progress, Done!.
It appears to be stable now.

Could have been an API or Process hung, I rarely reboot.
I will try that!

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #9,101 of 15,612
Sony should implement a wifi based transfer. Hiby has that capacity even in lower end models

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #9,103 of 15,612
Has anyone tried using a portable amplifier like the aroma a100tb with the sony wm1z m2? According to what someone told me, the M2's ground isn't connected to its 4.4 output jack (a decision sony made deliberately in its topology). So I'm wondering if using such a portable amplifier can be done, or if would cause damage. I certainly don't want to risk damaging my m2.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #9,104 of 15,612
Has anyone tried using a portable amplifier like the aroma a100tb with the sony wm1z m2? According to what someone told me, the M2's ground isn't connected to its 4.4 output jack (a decision sony made deliberately in its topology). So I'm wondering if using such a portable amplifier can be done, or if would cause damage. I certainly don't want to risk damaging my m2.
The previous Sony models, I have used the 4.4mm to feed an Oriolus BA300s with no problem. The blanced 4.4mm has separate grounds, which are part of the blanaced topology. The Grd that is not connected on the plug/jack is the 5th connection to the base of the plug/case, which Sony does not ground, and this is used to ground shielded cables. Whether it is grounded or not has nothing to do with feeding the 4.4mm output to an amplifier that has a balanced input. It is recommended to NOT FEED 4.4MM BALANCED TO AN UNBLANCED AMPLIFIER, as that will short the Sony separated balanced grounds together, which is not recommended. Other than this caution, there is no problem with feeding the Sony output into an external amp.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #9,105 of 15,612
The previous Sony models, I have used the 4.4mm to feed an Oriolus BA300s with no problem. The blanced 4.4mm has separate grounds, which are part of the blanaced topology. The Grd that is not connected on the plug/jack is the 5th connection to the base of the plug/case, which Sony does not ground, and this is used to ground shielded cables. Whether it is grounded or not has nothing to do with feeding the 4.4mm output to an amplifier that has a balanced input. It is recommended to NOT FEED 4.4MM BALANCED TO AN UNBLANCED AMPLIFIER, as that will short the Sony separated balanced grounds together, which is not recommended. Other than this caution, there is no problem with feeding the Sony output into an external amp.
Thanks this is helpful. I’m pretty sure the aroma a100tb is a balanced portable amp, are you saying I can connect my Sony DAPs to it via a 4.4 interconnect on the Sony side and aroma amp side? Here’s some info on it:

https://www.moon-audio.com/aroma-a1...smaJ-Xl5SojKBNbyvLRYGxcz_DOp-O8oaApoFEALw_wcB

I thought with the Oriolus ba300s you had to use a 3.5mm to 4.4mm interconnect (plug in 4.4 on Oriolus Side but must use 3.5mm on Sony dap side, rather than going 4.4 to 4.4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back