SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #9,076 of 15,612
It's simulating virtual speakers with distance from you, so there's some simulated loss in loudness.

If you haven't read any of my posts for some reason, I have been recommending Sony headphone/iem users to upload the ear photo to Sony for personalizing their own HRTF filters which will provide for even more pinpoint accurate imaging with Hi-res Streaming mode. Using DSEE Ultimate will help to bring back the presence more.
The thing is that this affects the normal local music player too, not only streaming

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #9,078 of 15,612
Also do you own any modern Sony headphone or iems? If you do, please also add the iem/headphone profile on the included Sony Headphone app. It is also recommended to upload your ear photo to Sony to customise a personalised HRTF spatial profile for your ears. This will optimise the spatial listening experience, even for offline music listening on Walkman app and streaming apps as well.
@denis1976 , you can read from this point on:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/page-535#post-17263477

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #9,079 of 15,612
There's also a way to improve this spatial effect and sound quality for you music files, but I shall not share the details here as I don't want to share with information with trolls.. For those interested, please PM me for more info.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #9,080 of 15,612
Thank you for the feedback, i was meaning that subtle diference between the on and off even when the direct mode is on and the native player is used, that more spacial sound , what are your toughts about it, i feel that with sony ierz1r the sound looses some presence but with some recordings i like it
Just a lurker - I am placing an order shortly. I hate to make a bad purchase and I hardly ever sell something I’ve bought. I buy to keep. So just been following to do my research :)

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #9,081 of 15,612
why do you sell yours? or do you have another one for yourself?
I have other projects I need to get moving, and I also have Ibasso DAP dx320 that can do the job well enough. I would prefer to stay with 1Z, but I have invested a long way in modifying Ibasso modules, so I have more options with Ibasso than Sony

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #9,082 of 15,612
I have other projects I need to get moving, and I also have Ibasso DAP dx320 that can do the job well enough. I would prefer to stay with 1Z, but I have invested a long way in modifying Ibasso modules, so I have more options with Ibasso than Sony
I guess this allows you to experience new discoveries along the process of modifying.

I think for common folks without modification skills, the Sony Walkman is already pretty good enough.

I would think who ever buys this gold wired 1ZM2 will not be disappointed by its sound performance.

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #9,083 of 15,612
@denis1976

I suggest you can also try disabling headphone app combined with high res streaming mode off and direct source on and with low gain(for iem)

This I feel is the least sound processing out of the M2 Walkman. No HRTF, lesser spatial sound, just regular stereo imaging.

Compare this to Headphone app enabled, High res streaming mode on, Sony iem profile added, dsee ultimate on. This feels more like home theater kind of surround sound.

Decide for yourself which kind of sound you prefer more:
Regular 2 channel Stereo sound
Virtualized Spatial Surround sound

Both also has it's good points and trade offs. I suggest to play around with the DSPs and find a setting that suits your listening preferences.

So far I like DSEE Ultimate with Spatial Sound and DSD Remastering with Stereo sound.

Also note that DSD Filtering mode settings affects the sound system wide(for 4.4mm jack).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #9,084 of 15,612
Using the micro SD transfer method seems to be the least painful option . . .or maybe the only one! :)
yes. the other method is using a third party app like file commander

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #9,086 of 15,612
Does the bluetooth connection on the 1AM2 sound better than bluetooth connection on the 1A?
You can apply DSEE Ulimate over bluetooth. So the source does in fact affect the sound of bluetooth output. Also the spatial sound processing of hi-res streaming mode works through usb dac and bluetooth ouput(for both streaming and offline music playback on walkman app)

Is it better? I think there's going to be a slight improvement.

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #9,087 of 15,612
So I got my USB A to USB C cable today, much longer than the short one that Sony provided.

Using the USB DAC function on the ZM2, I noticed that "Direct Source: On" remained "On" even though I had untoggled it (swiped it left). Has anyone else had this problem? Must Direct Source be toggled on when using the Walkman as a USB DAC to PC?

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #9,088 of 15,612
@denis1976

I suggest you can also try disabling headphone app combined with high res streaming mode off and direct source on and with low gain(for iem)

This I feel is the least sound processing out of the M2 Walkman. No HRTF, lesser spatial sound, just regular stereo imaging.

Compare this to Headphone app enabled, High res streaming mode on, Sony iem profile added, dsee ultimate on. This feels more like home theater kind of surround sound.

Decide for yourself which kind of sound you prefer more:
Regular 2 channel Stereo sound
Virtualized Spatial Surround sound

Both also has it's good points and trade offs. I suggest to play around with the DSPs and find a setting that suits your listening preferences.

So far I like DSEE Ultimate with Spatial Sound and DSD Remastering with Stereo sound.

Also note that DSD Filtering mode settings affects the sound system wide(for 4.4mm jack).
I think the DSD Remaster is pretty good with 3D-ness via the Z1R

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #9,089 of 15,612
OK thanks! That fixed the problem!
A coup
OK thanks! That fixed the problem!
One thing I forgot to mention is that after transferring files to the Walkman I had to "tell it" to rescan the database. I seem to remember that my WM1Z rescanned automatically. Initially, I thought the transfer to the Music folder had failed but all appeared after a rescan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back