SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #7,906 of 15,612
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #7,907 of 15,612
Just an update:

My friend has received his replacement WM1ZM2 after paying a very nominal processing fee to replace his under warranty battery bloated WM1AM2. Sony reseted the warranty period as good will gesture as well. And also the General Manager of Sony Singapore made a call to him afterwards to enquire about his experience.

I think this is very good customer service from Sony.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #7,908 of 15,612
Although he is telling me he misses the traditional sound signature of his original 1AM2 and trying to get use to the much different sound signature of the replacement 1ZM2 which he finds to be very classical sounding. He finds that the 1Z places more emphasis on recreating instrument sounds.

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #7,909 of 15,612
Could be off topic but how do you guys maintain the back of the wm1am2 so it does not develop some sort of white color at the back, hard to describe it, but i remember my zx300/wm1a and even the zx507 also had this after quite some time… i wonder if a case could solve it

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #7,910 of 15,612
Although he is telling me he misses the traditional sound signature of his original 1AM2 and trying to get use to the much different sound signature of the replacement 1ZM2 which he finds to be very classical sounding. He finds that the 1Z places more emphasis on recreating instrument sounds.
Yes Yes, when it clocked in more hours, the separations will get even better and better. I find myself listening more to the instruments than the vocal in a song, lol. Im still amazed by it after 4 months of listening. MDR Z1R with grander sound can pronounce it even more clearly. It just lack a little energy of ier Z1R and feel a little warm on the pads, but the sounds make up for it.

Nov 22, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #7,911 of 15,612
Yes Yes, when it clocked in more hours, the separations will get even better and better. I find myself listening more to the instruments than the vocal in a song, lol. Im still amazed by it after 4 months of listening. MDR Z1R with grander sound can pronounce it even more clearly. It just lack a little energy of ier Z1R and feel a little warm on the pads, but the sounds make up for it.
I found MDR to do even better than IER regarding trebles energies and dynamic with 1Z. Loving both for sure. Though I am using dekoni hybrid pads

Nov 22, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #7,912 of 15,612
Could be off topic but how do you guys maintain the back of the wm1am2 so it does not develop some sort of white color at the back, hard to describe it, but i remember my zx300/wm1a and even the zx507 also had this after quite some time… i wonder if a case could solve it
I use ArmorAll on any rubber, plastic and vinyl material. NOT FOR LEATHER. It can be found in any car care store, online, etc. ArmorAll restores, and protects, and keeps the material supple, and prevents it from drying up/cracking. Great for the car, and around the home.

EDIT: I sound like an ArmorAll salesman! I'm not. Just a user who ran across this product, was amazed at what it could do, and have used it forever.

1669127716401.png

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #7,913 of 15,612
I found MDR to do even better than IER regarding trebles energies and dynamic with 1Z. Loving both for sure. Though I am using dekoni hybrid pads
Ah, I remember your earlier post of your MDR pictures, ur using the Lavricable silver cable. Im using the Sony Kimber, maybe that's the main difference. Not upgrading for me anytime soon, saving my fund for Taz M2 (if there is one), trying to complete Sony ecosystem, then perhaps call it a day.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #7,914 of 15,612
Yours is not even stock! Of course, it should be better than the IER pal! 😀

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #7,915 of 15,612
Although Sony didn’t mention about this NPU in their engineer interview, If I am not wrong in my guesses of how the Walkman functions, Sony is really the first dap manufacturer to utilise AI hardware accelerator NPU for digital signal processing of audio, I just feel that Mr Sato could have explained more on why he purposely picked this particular NXP SOC.

I feel that there are so much more undisclosed technology/functions inside the Walkman that we can only observe by fiddling around with the settings or by opening up the Walkman and examining or modding the hardware.

Also I feel that this M2 Walkman is like the product of skunkworks workshop of Sony where the most latest and advance technology is developed.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #7,916 of 15,612
Although Sony didn’t mention about this NPU in their engineer interview, If I am not wrong in my guesses of how the Walkman functions, Sony is really the first dap manufacturer to utilise AI hardware accelerator NPU for digital signal processing of audio, I just feel that Mr Sato could have explained more on why he purposely picked this particular NXP SOC.

I feel that there are so much more undisclosed technology/functions inside the Walkman that we can only observe by fiddling around with the settings or by opening up the Walkman and examining or modding the hardware.

Also I feel that this M2 Walkman is like the product of skunkworks workshop of Sony where the most latest and advance technology is developed.
Just imagine if they had the AI/ML chops of Apple's A-series chips to power DSEE..

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #7,917 of 15,612
Just imagine if they had the AI/ML chops of Apple's A-series chips to power DSEE..
Too bad Apple will never licence out their SOC. Though the the touted 2.3 Tera operations per second of the NXP NPU already overwhelmingly exceeds the processing performance of every other dap/dac manufacturer’s SOC CPU, FPGA processors or Digital Signal Processors for audio upsampling.

I think that AI algorithms has already become the game changer of future audio technology development, not just in audio reproduction but also in music creation where AI can create instrument samples and also for future streaming music codecs which will use AI restoration to further reduce bandwidth requirements.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #7,918 of 15,612
Too bad Apple will never licence out their SOC. Though the the touted 2.3 Tera operations per second of the NXP NPU already overwhelmingly exceeds the processing performance of every other dap/dac manufacturer’s SOC CPU, FPGA processors or Digital Signal Processors for audio upsampling.

I think that AI algorithms has already become the game changer of future audio technology development, not just in audio reproduction but also in music creation where AI can create instrument samples and also for future streaming music codecs which will use AI restoration to further reduce bandwidth requirements.
some days in the future, the AI will seat down and debate which human could program them the best abilities to tell the differences of the real world stuff. They will gather around and bioengineer human being which they deemed the best and have that human as a hobby 😂

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #7,919 of 15,612

One can dream.. or wait for Apple to "borrow" DSEE tech. Their newest Airpods Pro 2's realtime processing works amazingly well. Was using pass-through mode and it tamed down a sudden horn blast like magic. Any other brand would have blown my ears out.

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #7,920 of 15,612
some days in the future, the AI will seat down and debate which human could program them the best abilities to tell the differences of the real world stuff. They will gather around and bioengineer human being which they deemed the best and have that human as a hobby 😂
Are we sure that we don’t already have an AI headfier masquerading as a human here? I think maybe the next best thing is an AI bot who can do audio reviews by generating superfluous words to describe a new audio product to generate sales.

AI is already capable of generating fake research papers:
https://www.gowinglife.com/top-three-ai-generated-research-papers/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back