SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 8, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #7,321 of 15,620
I only bought it because they did make the move as streaming media support is essential for me now. I avoided the originals and went for a ZX507 for that reason.

It does support bit-perfect in the Walkman app so no different to originals for own files.

WiFi stays off for me too 99% of the time now I have my 1,500 Amazon HD tracks sync'ed for offline. I only enable if discovering new tracks or sync new tracks that I discovered on my mobile/btr5/SE846 combo listening.

Also, Amazon HD App itself upscales its output to 24/192 at app level anyway so having the 24/192 mode on the Sony is a perfect match (app itself is slow due to weak Sony CPU, but OK once just listening) Sounds as 'bit-perfect' as any other bit-perfect DAP I've used. I just sold the bit-perfect Hiby R5II as not using since getting the Sony and that is one hell of a top DAP too, especially for the price.

Search in Walkman app is a big improvement of Sony OS.
That is exactly it! Many people automatically be thinking that M2 doesn’t have bit-perfect playbacks, which is wrong. In technical Applications terms, there is no such thing as bit perfects. Yes, they always try to keep the information to be as close as the original. But that doesn’t really happen. If you ever rip a CD by Exact Audio Copy, you would see it is either 98% or 99%. That means you already altered some information right then and there. That means since we are in digital domains, there will always be algorithms in place to do “errors corrections“.

If anyone is thinking that streaming doesn’t face the same consequences, then they are wrong. Your routers for example, nowadays are all common uses routers, they are mainly aiming at speed, and stability, and with minimal engineerings for every other parameters, including noises, interferences, information accuracy….etc…

We can go on and on about this. I, myself, do love the ability to buy the albums straight from QoBuz, downloading it in minutes if not seconds, having all the album arts and tags. But I gotta tell you that having a CD, then using Exact Audio copy, having the files all out into WAV, is more satisfying. It is also the closest bit-perfects you would think on practicality. But then again, the process from the original recordings, into a CD, and continuously burned to productions by the studios. Don’t you think there would be “error corrections and algorithms ?” Well, at least, you get to cut out the wireless router as a factors, your internet providers…etc…then again, we can keep on going.

So, once you realized all that, the questions would be “is there really a bit-perfect ?” Not really, if you keep on going on and on and on about how a bit-perfect is defined ! You can use the term loosely that as long as the Samples rates from your files is not going to be resampled by the Operating System, then it is considered “pure-audio”. In this case, M2 Walkman is Bit-perfect.

The search function in W-app is amazing : you can search in artist, titles, albums, and play all of them right there
In Android mode the Sony sets its Android layer to 24/192 in Hi-mode. I recently discovered than Amazon HD music on IOS (with external DAC) and Android outputs from the App at 24/192 even if track is a 16/44. The Sony is therefore doing the Amazon HD Music bit perfect in its H-mode. The App itself isn't.

The Amazon app itself may do some other tweaking of the sound than the Walkman app doesn't do. I stopped using Tidal and Tidal App as not getting the MQA unfolds.

You can also use UAPP with Tidal live streaming to get bit perfect but a bit glitchy with the 1 unfold of MQA.

Tidal certainly doesn't sound as good out the app. I ripped some MQA tracks out of Tidal and played them in Walkman app for comparison and better in Walkman app.

Note: The biggest difference with all of use isn't our IEM's/DAP's but our own ears and we may not appreciate how good or bad they are compared to others! I'm glad I've not got gold/platinum/diamond ears, or this expensive hobby gets even more expensive!!! Mine are 55 yo ears so have no way to resolve as good as those in their 20s (unless they have ear trouble).
Yes, I don’t like the streaming apps playing my music. I do use it in a pinch like an iPhone to my CarPlay when I crave music and don’t have my DAP. Even in the car, I prefer Bluetooth from DAP to my car. I even have HDD connecting to my car head unit. Most of the time when I ”need“ qobuz, it is because I want to “test out” new remastered album or new album

In the end, why don’t we ask such question “who invented and pioneered most of the digital empire ?” “Who knows and is dedicated so much toward digital medias ? In both, movies, music ?”
Isn't it Sony ? If so, who can do Sampling, Re-sampling, Up-sampling better than Sony ?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #7,322 of 15,620
E7C43848-0E7A-46C2-A0D5-84D8F79D4DD6.jpeg

686A18DB-5719-4263-9B38-5342B744FDDA.png

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #7,323 of 15,620
So Sony has indicated this Offload/DirectOutput thread that can be used by Android Apps to bypass Android SRC. Maybe for those using streaming music apps can pester the app developers to enable this flag for M2 Walkmans to have bit perfect playback.
58236F16-DFAC-4B1A-9B88-656857C10E38.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #7,324 of 15,620
So Sony has indicated this Offload/DirectOutput thread that can be used by Android Apps to bypass Android SRC. Maybe for those using streaming music apps can pester the app developers to enable this flag for M2 Walkmans to have bit perfect playback.
58236F16-DFAC-4B1A-9B88-656857C10E38.jpeg
UAPP developer has already responded that they are not interested. The reasons being is that t isn’t worth it. Catering to the mass is always better than a single platform. Selling in millions for $1 a count is better than selling $1million for 1 count

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #7,325 of 15,620
UAPP developer has already responded that they are not interested. The reasons being is that t isn’t worth it. Catering to the mass is always better than a single platform. Selling in millions for $1 a count is better than selling $1million for 1 count
Uapp already supported offload for Sony since ZX507. They are just not interested in troubleshooting any future issues with the android Walkman since it has low install base or whatever rocks the developer’s boat.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #7,326 of 15,620
Uapp already supported offload for Sony since ZX507. They are just not interested in troubleshooting any future issues with the android Walkman since it has low install base or whatever rocks the developer’s boat.
This, I helped troubleshoot with developer to get working on the A107/ZX507. Slow CPU's too.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #7,329 of 15,620
Just had a strange experience with my 1am2. Suddenly my left iem stopped playing. Unplugged the cable and heard a connection noise. Plugged it back in, works perfectly fine. Did this twice in a row and hasn't happened again. Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could've been?
You have encountered a glitch in the Matrix.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #7,330 of 15,620
Just had a strange experience with my 1am2. Suddenly my left iem stopped playing. Unplugged the cable and heard a connection noise. Plugged it back in, works perfectly fine. Did this twice in a row and hasn't happened again. Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could've been?
The plug of the Earphone is clean?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #7,333 of 15,620
While the M2 models are an improvement on overall sound quality I think I would have preferred it if Sony would have not made them Android based or added WiFi.

IMHO without a proper bit-perfect implementation it seems a bit poorly thought out, I think most "Audiophile" owners will simply load FLAC files or other lossless files onto it and leave the WiFi switched off.

Don't get me wrong I really like mine, its certainly the best portable player I've ever owned its just that for me WiFi will remain off for 99% of the time.
I Love my M2 also I will never use the Wifi or streaming I would have Preferred Sony OS many feel same way No Andriod OS Please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back