SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 24, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #6,797 of 15,603
This Japanese twitter user fixed his dsd remastering popping noise issues by sending it for servicing:

While using the WM1AM2, the popping noise that occurs during DSD remastering regardless of the data stored in the main unit or micro SD (I remember hearing it, it also occurred with songs whose original data was in DSD format) was replaced with the main board. Completely cured by What is cut off above is a part of the contents of the inquiry

https://mobile.twitter.com/Draw_2_cards/status/1584161526352838656
Its posts like this that make me not want to keep up to date on this thread lol.. My imported WM1AM2 only very very mildy pops/crackles when changing between DSD tracks. This doesn't occur with other file types and doesn't occur with DSD remastering enabled. As I only have about 6 albums in DSD format it isn't a big issue.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #6,798 of 15,603
Excuse me if this this has been asked before.
For the 200 hours required burn-in per headphone output, does it matter whether I do this via UAPP or Tidal or the Sony Walkman player ?
I’ve noticed that when listening to UAPP or Tidal, the hours counter in the Walkman app doesn’t change.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #6,799 of 15,603
Excuse me if this this has been asked before.
For the 200 hours required burn-in per headphone output, does it matter whether I do this via UAPP or Tidal or the Sony Walkman player ?
I’ve noticed that when listening to UAPP or Tidal, the hours counter in the Walkman app doesn’t change.

I think the 200 hours burn in for the actual capacitors is 200 hours regardless of what you're playing through, BUT only the Walkman app will record the amount of hours played.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #6,800 of 15,603
they had the same question in the fiio m17 forum a while ago. as @Liono mentioned, the capacitor works and the signal goes through the 4,4mm output. so that's fine.

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #6,801 of 15,603
I compared them head to head at e-earphone today and the only difference is the bass.

The bass in the WM1ZM2 sounds a tiny bit more like things are really there. You could physically feel it a bit stronger.

But other then that, they were almost identical to me.

I went for the Z version as this authentic feeling of bass sound was worth the price for me

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #6,802 of 15,603
Guys is the UK version, really that crippled that it's not worth buying. I am really keen on this unit but the importing option is putting me off.

Would the UK version drive sufficiently the Vision Ears Phoenix or Dita Perpetua?

Thanks again

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #6,803 of 15,603
Guys is the UK version, really that crippled that it's not worth buying. I am really keen on this unit but the importing option is putting me off.

Would the UK version drive sufficiently the Vision Ears Phoenix or Dita Perpetua?

Thanks again
Absolutely, no issues with any In-Ear, pretty sure.

It's still loud enough to make you deaf. The only issue is with Over Ear

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #6,804 of 15,603
I just got DITA Perpetua. The synergy between ZM2 and Perpetua is sublime...
Hi Giraku. I am thinking about getting the NW-WM1ZM2 and really like the look of the Dita's.
I am in the UK so the unit wouldn't have any high gain mode. Have does it drive them and could you offer any thoughts on the pairing.
What made you go for the Dita and did you try anything else before going for the Perpetua.?

Many thanks

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #6,805 of 15,603
I compared them head to head at e-earphone today and the only difference is the bass.

The bass in the WM1ZM2 sounds a tiny bit more like things are really there. You could physically feel it a bit stronger.

But other then that, they were almost identical to me.

I went for the Z version as this authentic feeling of bass sound was worth the price for me
If your wealthy enough to pay 3 times the price for "The bass in the WM1ZM2 sounds a tiny bit more like things are really there" that's your call.

I prefer £2K+ in my bank, 200g less weight and more durability in black passivated aluminium over soft gold on copper.

Enjoy your purchase.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #6,806 of 15,603
Absolutely, no issues with any In-Ear, pretty sure.

It's still loud enough to make you deaf. The only issue is with Over Ear

It wouldn't have made me deaf with my Sony M9's on max volume with UK one I had first! 85/120 with Shure SE846 vs 45/120 on Japanese import with high gain. Much more head-room on the non-EU version.

It will still drive most IEM's I'd say. It was fine with my SE846, K10U and FD7.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #6,807 of 15,603
If your wealthy enough to pay 3 times the price for "The bass in the WM1ZM2 sounds a tiny bit more like things are really there" that's your call.

I prefer £2K+ in my bank, 200g less weight and more durability in black passivated aluminium over soft gold on copper.

Enjoy your purchase.
Anything hifi/audio world has a law of diminishing returns. What I will say is trying things at a dealers and a home environment are very different things. Demo units at dealers are also unlikely to be run in and as to what was played is another story.
Better equipment will make lesser recordings sound worse.
Many factors involved.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #6,808 of 15,603
Anything hifi/audio world has a law of diminishing returns. What I will say is trying things at a dealers and a home environment are very different things. Demo units at dealers are also unlikely to be run in and as to what was played is another story.
Better equipment will make lesser recordings sound worse.
Many factors involved.
I had the ZM2 and the AM2. Thankfully I heard no noticeable difference to even begin to just 3 x the price. It's just emperor's new clothes syndrome IMO, but each to their own.

Both at home, not short demo in a store, and with my own HD files.

I can categorically say it sounds better in every way over the ZX507 I had.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #6,809 of 15,603

Enjoy your purchase.
I payed roughly 2000€ for it due to the weak yen and tax free shopping.

But I would not have gotten it for the MSRP

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #6,810 of 15,603
I had the ZM2 and the AM2. Thankfully I heard no noticeable difference to even begin to just 3 x the price. It's just emperor's new clothes syndrome IMO, but each to their own.

Both at home, not short demo in a store, and with my own HD files.
I made a blind test with the IER-M9 and I was able to hear the difference reproducibly so it was worth the price for me.

But I highly doubt it's audible with every ear/headphone and especially every type of music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back