SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #6,781 of 15,589
I tried 3.5 for first time after 100hrs on 4.4 expecting a lessened sound quality and I was pleasantly suprised how good it is.

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #6,783 of 15,589
The fact of the matter is that even with all of DSP turned off, the M2 walkman still does deliver a very high quality sound that is already very enjoyable in my opinion. And there are probably a whole lot of people who are non-DSP peeps that only prefers using Direct-Source ON exclusively.

I think given how fast the new M2 walkman charges up with its modern USB-C charging, and the fact that you can always equip a light weight slim powerbank of 10,000mAH or so. I feel that the battery life is an non-issue for most people unless you are doing real time wifi streaming + dsp.

Lets hope the new ZX707 will also have better battery life over the ZX507.
I dun think ZX507 has battery inside….

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #6,784 of 15,589
Waited for 97 days for the arrival of the Sony NW-WM1ZM2, and finally finally ..
Ordered on 15th July and took that long for my unit be fulfilled !!!
Now have both the original and this, can't wait to test drive.

After setting up the 1ZM2, files transferred and apps installed, following is my 1st impression having used it for 3 times totalling ~7 hours (most of the time I have the M1 side by side to A/B), in this brief listening time IEMs used are - M7 / Z1R / ES SEM 9 / u18t :

Some setting info: listening with "direct sound; normal gain, volume set at 66 (out of 120), file based listening only (streaming comes next).

The overall SQ is at least a step up from M1! The background is darker, same track - live recording listened to - gave me a better sense of "air" and transparency. I think Sony has made the M2 sound bit more dynamic and further improved the loudness tuning (referring to equal loudness contour, my conjecture). The "evidence" is that when listening to 2 albums (Lori Lieberman's The girl and the cat - Flac file, and the cat, and Blue Coast Collection vol 1 - DSF remaster), I found the degree of micro dynamics and details of nuance is presented better than M1 which is already v excellent. This experience is most apparent when using the very revealing u18t! The tonality of both M1 and M2 are equally superb. Soundstage comparable but at time would find M2 is a tad better resulting in better separation / imaging. May be due to the "darker" background!?!

Still an unfinished discovery of the M2 and will share more of my findings in my next post. Happy listening and cheers ..

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #6,785 of 15,589
This is what concerns me. I hardly own any music and use Tidal via Roon only.
It's because of this I keep thinking I'd be better off with a Chord Hugo2 and a 2go. Its never going to leave my house. Just bedroom to living room.
Not gonna be a problem. Currently need Android 7 for All of Tidal features. Android 7 came out in 2016. With Android, even if your OS level is no longer supported, you still maintain the level of support your OS had. As an example, my Android 4 device still has access to Tidal, but no MQA, as only 16/44 was available on Android 4.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #6,786 of 15,589
Anyone managed to add a whole folder to a playlist, instead of adding hundreds of titles/files one by one? 😳

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #6,789 of 15,589
Sony Canada
With regards SONY Walkman, we have been advised this afternoon {OCT19/22} that they will not be available this year.
SONY said that we will be getting them first in the country when they are available early next year. {2023} Same with Sony USA I would Assume.
Sony Boondoggle YES
Quickly! Everyone should self induce “FOMO”, Fear Of Missing Out Syndrome

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #6,791 of 15,589
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #6,792 of 15,589
This Japanese twitter user fixed his dsd remastering popping noise issues by sending it for servicing:

While using the WM1AM2, the popping noise that occurs during DSD remastering regardless of the data stored in the main unit or micro SD (I remember hearing it, it also occurred with songs whose original data was in DSD format) was replaced with the main board. Completely cured by What is cut off above is a part of the contents of the inquiry

https://mobile.twitter.com/Draw_2_cards/status/1584161526352838656

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #6,793 of 15,589
Wasn't the 1.03 firmware update released to address this issue?
I guess there’s other reports like popping noise during track change and my friend’s bloated battery issues that are also adding to the list of reported quality problems.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6,794 of 15,589
This Japanese twitter user fixed his dsd remastering popping noise issues by sending it for servicing:

While using the WM1AM2, the popping noise that occurs during DSD remastering regardless of the data stored in the main unit or micro SD (I remember hearing it, it also occurred with songs whose original data was in DSD format) was replaced with the main board. Completely cured by What is cut off above is a part of the contents of the inquiry

https://mobile.twitter.com/Draw_2_cards/status/1584161526352838656
They should have changed the entire unit, not just the mainboard! I hate when they take these things like phones or daps apart, they never come back the same as new.

Oct 23, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #6,795 of 15,589
Just got the WM1ZM2 last weekend and while playing around with it, found that it cannot be used as bluetooth DAC like the WM1Z. I can pair the WM1ZM2 with my ipad/iphone but when i play movie on my ipad/phone the WM1ZM2 could not play the sound and the sound keep playing on the ipad/phone only. Any idea on this? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back