SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 16, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #6,706 of 15,612
Never tried but I'm pretty sure it automatically switches outputs. I don't believe it will play thru both outputs at once.
Ok. I have like 140hrs on 3.5 and 78hrs on 4.4. I really don’t believe in this “burn in” thing but I’ll continue to see if I hear any changes. I use the 3.5 for work to a speaker at like 8 hrs a day and the 4.4 for iem listening.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #6,707 of 15,612
Ok. I have like 140hrs on 3.5 and 78hrs on 4.4. I really don’t believe in this “burn in” thing but I’ll continue to see if I hear any changes. I use the 3.5 for work to a speaker at like 8 hrs a day and the 4.4 for iem listening.
Is that including any time you use any music service apps? The burn in timer doesn't include time from those for some reason

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #6,708 of 15,612
Is that including any time you use any music service apps? The burn in timer doesn't include time from those for some reason
I never use them. All music on my SD card

Oct 17, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #6,709 of 15,612
Can u burn in both outputs at the same time? In I’m listening to an output on the 3.5 but also have a 4.4 into a cable can u do that?
If it is the same with M2 like it was with M1 - which I assume to be so -, you cannot. If you plug in a cable in 4.4 mm output, the 3.5 mm output is switched off automatically.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #6,710 of 15,612
Because they were lazy and just did it in the Walkman app rather than system wide.

Of course playing any audio would clock up the timep per port, but only Walkman app records its use hours.

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #6,713 of 15,612
Because they were lazy and just did it in the Walkman app rather than system wide.

Of course playing any audio would clock up the timep per port, but only Walkman app records its use hours.
I know it does, I just meant it doesn't record that time on the timer. Like you said, just lazy programming. They could've easily built a timer to clock the system rather than one solely built into the Walkman app.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #6,714 of 15,612
I just noticed the relay does not click when switching sample rates in M2 players. As a result I hear a tiny bit of noise when the player switches from PCM tracks to DSD tracks and vice versa.
On my WM1A the replay always clicks whenever the sample rate changes so there is no noise (except for the click which I won't hear with headphones on).
Not sure why Sony wanted to change something that actually works...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #6,715 of 15,612
I just noticed the relay does not click when switching sample rates in M2 players. As a result I hear a tiny bit of noise when the player switches from PCM tracks to DSD tracks and vice versa.
On my WM1A the replay always clicks whenever the sample rate changes so there is no noise (except for the click which I won't hear with headphones on).
Not sure why Sony wanted to change something that actually works...
That would be due to the output micro relay operating to disconnect the output. I don't know if the output relay that was on the WM1x has been removed from the WM1xAM2, but I would be happy if it was removed. The very small contact area of the micro relay contacts weakens the signal, and as the contact surfaces oxidize over time, it gets much worse. This is a weak link in that this extra circuitry put in to remove cosmetic noise that is not present when the music is playing, unfortunately inserts a single point of failure that compromises and degrades the overall audio signal.

The hardware mods that were done on the WM1x usually bypassed the relay contacts, and this was one of the components responsible for the SQ improvement from the mod.

So putting up with a small amount of noise when there is a switch of sample rate is a small price to pay, if it contributes to the goal to optimize the audio signal path, and improve the overall SQ. I believe that the Sony engineers care about these little details, and the changes they make are towards the end goal of "better sound".

Oct 18, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #6,716 of 15,612
That would be due to the output micro relay operating to disconnect the output. I don't know if the output relay that was on the WM1x has been removed from the WM1xAM2, but I would be happy if it was removed. The very small contact area of the micro relay contacts weakens the signal, and as the contact surfaces oxidize over time, it gets much worse. This is a weak link in that this extra circuitry put in to remove cosmetic noise that is not present when the music is playing, unfortunately inserts a single point of failure that compromises and degrades the overall audio signal.

The hardware mods that were done on the WM1x usually bypassed the relay contacts, and this was one of the components responsible for the SQ improvement from the mod.

So putting up with a small amount of noise when there is a switch of sample rate is a small price to pay, if it contributes to the goal to optimize the audio signal path, and improve the overall SQ. I believe that the Sony engineers care about these little details, and the changes they make are towards the end goal of "better sound".
I didn't know the relay could deteriorate sound quality...Good to know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #6,717 of 15,612

This small of amount of noise when switching tracks, I do hear on the Sony store demo Walkman.

However on my own personal WM1AM2, I do not hear it at all. I am not sure if it was due to the debloating and optimisation done or my swissbit microSD card, there is virtually dead slience when switching between tracks of different sampling rates. Also my Walkman switches tracks and plays tracks with slightly less silence delay after debloating. (It feels like 250ms vs the original 500ms). My conclusion is that there is something within the Walkman processing at play which causes this noise.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #6,719 of 15,612
On my unit I do hear the relay click. Realy is present, as explained in the "sound quality tips" in the unit itself.
They are relays for outputs, and they sound whenever we plug in/out the jack. The M1 version has the relay click sound even when the song sample rate is changed.

Oct 18, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #6,720 of 15,612
This small of amount of noise when switching tracks, I do hear on the Sony store demo Walkman.

However on my own personal WM1AM2, I do not hear it at all. I am not sure if it was due to the debloating and optimisation done or my swissbit microSD card, there is virtually dead slience when switching between tracks of different sampling rates. Also my Walkman switches tracks and plays tracks with slightly less silence delay after debloating. (It feels like 250ms vs the original 500ms). My conclusion is that there is something within the Walkman processing at play which causes this noise.
Could you try switching between DSD and PCM tracks? I found the noise was most obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back