SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 10, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #6,257 of 15,985
in your opinion @all will sony replace other elements of the signature line up ?
The product roll out maybe a bit slower but I cant see Sony walking away from their well established and quite loyal customer base. I for one have been doing my bit to support their fairly over priced but solid headphone products and get great enjoyment from them!

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #6,258 of 15,985
After some back and forth with my RS6 and the AM2 and my Mest MK2 I have found that I prefer the RS6. I have the AM2 on direct mode. I feel that the RS6 has a lot more detail than the Sony. In general the “synergy” just seems better. So, my feeling that the Sony sounds a little “congested” when compared to the RS6. The RS6 is smoother, more detailed, and less “raw” sounding. I can hear more of the cymbal details and more soundstage and separation from the RS6. I still plan on keeping the Sony as I will use it for work as the battery life is amazing and I play it through a speaker. The RS6 battery life is pretty bad and wouldn’t last a whole day..maybe 5 hours max

Just my thoughts after about 2 weeks with the player.
I found the case with the Zx507 sounding quite raw and unrefined in the treble bit of an issue. In company with the RS6, the ZX507 was completely destroyed and sounded almost lofi. I attribute the slightly raw nature (also present in ZX2 and even more so in their cheaper players) to their s-master chip, which needs a lot of effort to tame. I would hope the AM2 is a massive upgrade over the ZX507 SQ in order to justify its cost somehow.

I have a chance to get the AM2 now and I'm tempted as a Sony fanboy, but your dissapointment in comparison with the RS6 has me concerned - this seems to be an ongoing trend lately with Sony - I really want my expectations to be matched but they always fall short, whether it's their phones or daps

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #6,259 of 15,985
I found the case with the Zx507 sounding quite raw and unrefined in the treble bit of an issue. In company with the RS6, the ZX507 was completely destroyed and sounded almost lofi. I attribute the slightly raw nature (also present in ZX2 and even more so in their cheaper players) to their s-master chip, which needs a lot of effort to tame. I would hope the AM2 is a massive upgrade over the ZX507 SQ in order to justify its cost somehow.

I have a chance to get the AM2 now and I'm tempted as a Sony fanboy, but your dissapointment in comparison with the RS6 has me concerned - this seems to be an ongoing trend lately with Sony - I really want my expectations to be matched but they always fall short, whether it's their phones or daps
You just have to try the A/ZM2 in order to check whether it meets your expectations or not. No one is able to tell you that 😉. But, to give you my personal view on it. In direct mode and with balanced output I feel it may sound a little bit flat. So, I tend to use DSEE with DC phase amp A standard option to further match it to my needs. And this makes a noticeable difference to me. So, always take into account that unbalanced vs. balanced alone and some DSP options may be the important factor for your expectations 😉

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #6,260 of 15,985
You just have to try the A/ZM2 in order to check whether it meets your expectations or not. No one is able to tell you that 😉. But, to give you my personal view on it. In direct mode and with balanced output I feel it may sound a little bit flat. So, I tend to use DSEE with DC phase amp A standard option to further match it to my needs. And this makes a noticeable difference to me. So, always take into account that unbalanced vs. balanced alone and some DSP options may be the important factor for your expectations 😉

Unfortunately i have no way to demo one. I'm trying to find some basepoint comparison with other sources that I've used, like hiby rs6, mojo 2, zx507 etc. DSP did help with the zx507 bit couldn't hide its roughness - it's core skills weren't quite competitive enough, certainly for the price. I always use the best output in this case balanced with the Sony series

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #6,261 of 15,985

I had the opposite feeling about it being flat. It felt to "raw" and "congested" in direct mode. I switched to use DSEE and I felt it didn't do much. This was all with the Mest MKII. I then played the same music with the RS6 and heard many more details and separation without the congested feeling. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #6,262 of 15,985
I had the opposite feeling about it being flat. It felt to "raw" and "congested" in direct mode. I switched to use DSEE and I felt it didn't do much. This was all with the Mest MKII. I then played the same music with the RS6 and heard many more details and separation without the congested feeling. Just my $.02.
Just a little recommendation, do you have a stereo amp that has bluetooth, aptx will do, anything better is a bonus. Or bluetooth iem like xm3 or xm4? A/ZM2 seems spared of the "flat, raw and congested" in bluetooth mode. Compare the RS6 and AM2 with the bluetooth, only the DSEE on, it might make jaw drop. It will give you an idea what this unit is capable of if you give it more time in cable mode. And it may (i have not tested AM2) supersede the bluetooth output in time to come. If both bluetooth output sounds the same, then i have nothing to say.

I have the ZM2, seems AM2 is not spared too of the sound swings That's how I spend the crazy burn in time, enjoying the bluetooth output, then cooking again. Little bit off topic, think I have done something right in my speakers setup, From Samsung phone bluetooth, it can do centre imaging, close eyes, speakers gone. From ZM2 in LDAC, I can even hear sounds from rear. i thought my avr is on, lol. Everything tested in 2 channel, front left and right speakers only.

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #6,263 of 15,985
Just a little recommendation, do you have a stereo amp that has bluetooth, aptx will do, anything better is a bonus. Or bluetooth iem like xm3 or xm4? A/ZM2 seems spared of the "flat, raw and congested" in bluetooth mode. Compare the RS6 and AM2 with the bluetooth, only the DSEE on, it might make jaw drop. It will give you an idea what this unit is capable of if you give it more time in cable mode. And it may (i have not tested AM2) supersede the bluetooth output in time to come. If both bluetooth output sounds the same, then i have nothing to say.

I have the ZM2, seems AM2 is not spared too of the sound swings That's how I spend the crazy burn in time, enjoying the bluetooth output, then cooking again. Little bit off topic, think I have done something right in my speakers setup, From Samsung phone bluetooth, it can do centre imaging, close eyes, speakers gone. From ZM2 in LDAC, I can even hear sounds from rear. i thought my avr is on, lol. Everything tested in 2 channel, front left and right speakers only.
You used Bluetooth for burning in?

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #6,264 of 15,985
Very brief first impressions

Ok I compared M1AM2 (not burned in) vs my burned in ZX507 - there is a significant improvement thankfully. It's essentially more refined, the harshness and slightly dirty treble of the ZX507 is improved by a good amount resulting in better resolution, refinement and delicate touch, not to mention more specious imaging. OK so that's good thankfully (as it should be considering how underperforming the ZX507 is). There also seems to be more headroom, I was able to push HD800S much better, the ZX507 just craps out and makes them sound dirty.

vs the Hiby RS6 it's a more difficult comparison - they offer different takes. The RS6 has a very direct R2R sound - bass is denser, the mids are pushed forward, has a wider image, and the treble is gentler - however it has bit of R2R grit, and can come across as too mid forward for me, i'd like it to step back a little and be a little more shy/delicate. I'd say the Sony sounds a little more delicate in the mids/treble, eventhough the treble is little more sparkly I wouldn't say it comes across as more agressive/congested. The mids take one step back and allow a more contemplative listen instead of having my faced pushed against them like with the RS6. There is a bit more bloom and atmosphere with the Sony I think, where the RS6 it's just more direct - removing more stuff that stands in the way between the digital files and the ears, but sometimes a little injected romance is good.

I find the Mest Mk2 has some coherence issues with the treble, it can be disjointed (with some certain frequency ranges sharpness) and rear it's head where it's not wanted - i can see how the RS6 can hide that a little better than the Sony which is why perhaps it might be a better companion. The Sony is a fantastic combination with the IERM7 as expected, better than the RS6 - the slightly studio neutral boring tuning of the IERM7 is given a kick up it's bottom and the headphone comes alive, where the warm mid forward tuning of the RS6 doesn't quite give them the color they need (but is still very good ofcourse).

As for the s-master chip harshness i heard in older Sony players like the ZX507/ZX2 (hidden but not too well behind warm tuning), I think the M1AM2 seems to control that better through improved resolution and congestion, but I'm still not 100% - need to spend more time and ofcourse burn in, and more burn in with the Sony.

No doubt there is some masterful tuning and musicality coming out of the Sony; I'm relieved that they haven't just slapped on their logo and charged this much (where I kinda feel that a little with the ZX507). There's an ease with which the music flows with warmth, vividness and foot tapping quality. Anyway maybe my opinion will change lets see how things go.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #6,265 of 15,985
My previous setup was XBA-Z5, N3, ZX300 for travel and a PHA-2A for desktop use and the Z1R and 1AM2 is a noticeable improvement.

In a way, It's impossible to judge any of the audio product through reviews unless you and the reviewer have the same taste in the music as you do, in the same age group with the same hearing sensitivity. Just look at reviews of any IEM, You'll have people saying that certain frequency range is too much while other would say they're lacking and we have not even get into the tonal details yet. Different manufacturer also have their own sound preference (house sound). I was lucky to find a couple reviewer that listen to same music genre years ago and after running through a bunch of players and IEMs. I find that I like the Sony's house sound the most (I listen to a lot of female vocals) so I start investing into Sony's product but since I have 2 full size home audio system in the house, I only listen to DAP and IEM only a few hours each week unless I'm traveling, I pretty much limit myself to under ~2000 for each item.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #6,266 of 15,985
It's impossible to judge any of the audio product unless you the reviewer have the same taste in the music as you do, in the same age group with the same hearing sensitivity. Just look at reviews of any IEM, You'll have people saying that certain frequency range is too much while other would say they're lacking and we have not even get into the tonal details yet. Different manufacturer also have their own sound preference (house sound). I was lucky to find a couple reviewer that listen to same music genre years ago and after running through a bunch of players and IEMs. I find that I like the Sony's house sound the most (I listen to a lot of female vocals) so I start investing into Sony's product but since I have 2 full size home audio system in the house, I only listen to DAP and IEM only a few hours each week unless I'm traveling, I pretty much limit myself to under ~2000 for each item.

It's impossible to judge 100%, but it's certainly possible to some extent with some baselined equipment that the listeners have both owned, and is indeed very useful to do so. A more experienced ear (most of us here) can discern between what constitutes good sound vs bad sound and differentiate that from bright vs warm sound. Mojo 2 is brighter sounding and Cayin RU6 is warmer - I prefer warmer sound in general, but hands down i can say the Mojo 2 has the more pleasing and high performing audio for me as I appreciate the separation, accuracy, lack of artefacts, improved soundstage, better transients etc etc.

It's important we compare equipment and share our views here - and not just it's good or its bad, but in more detail the why/how whilst appreciating what constitutes high fidelity - otherwise why is the manufacturer spending so much money on high fidelity.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #6,267 of 15,985
It's impossible to judge 100%, but it's certainly possible to some extent with some baselined equipment that the listeners have both owned, and is indeed very useful to do so. A more experienced ear (most of us here) can discern between what constitutes good sound vs bad sound and differentiate that from bright vs warm sound. Mojo 2 is brighter sounding and Cayin RU6 is warmer - I prefer warmer sound in general, but hands down i can say the Mojo 2 has the more pleasing and high performing audio for me as I appreciate the separation, accuracy, lack of artefacts, improved soundstage, better transients etc etc.

It's important we compare equipment and share our views here - and not just it's good or its bad, but in more detail the why/how whilst appreciating what constitutes high fidelity - otherwise why is the manufacturer spending so much money on high fidelity.

True but it's more useful to find people that like the same music genre as while one unit maybe great of rock, another maybe better with classical, etc. I would say that before investing thousands. It maybe better to see if you can beg/borrow one to test from someone if none of the shop in the area have one available. Ultimately, you're the one that have to live with your investment. I was lucky enough that I was able to get my hand on a set of burned in Z1R and AM1Z for a couple days.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #6,268 of 15,985
True but it's more useful to find people that like the same music genre as while one unit maybe great of rock, another maybe better with classical, etc. I would say that before investing thousands. It maybe better to see if you can beg/borrow one to test from someone if none of the shop in the area have one available. Ultimately, you're the one that have to live with your investment. I was lucky enough that I was able to get my hand on a set of burned in Z1R and AM1Z for a couple days.

I listen to classical, jazz, techno, house, some rock too - so for me it's not genre related.. I believe good a proper high fidelity sounding system can work for everything. Having one to demo before buying is great, but not always possible, in which case it's so important to be able to get some steer from others' opinions

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #6,269 of 15,985
I listen to classical, jazz, techno, house, some rock too - so for me it's not genre related.. I believe good a proper high fidelity sounding system can work for everything. Having one to demo before buying is great, but not always possible, in which case it's so important to be able to get some steer from others' opinions

At these price level, I expect all units to be at least good at all genre but most product does stand out in certain area compare to one from another manufacturer so finding someone with the same taste is still important but even then, it's still possible to be disappointed. Case in point, last time I was in Asia (I have a bunch of friend that would sink tons of money into portable audio gear since they use trains and subways all the time), I have a friend recommend me a high end DAP that he said was great for vocals since I was running around with my ZX300 2 years ago. I don't remember the brand (they have a lot of lesser known brand from all over) but I was totally disappointed. It turns out we look for different things even in vocals. He wants silky smooth while I actually want a bit more raw throaty texture. That's why I said try to beg/borrow and maybe travel a bit to experience a unit first hand.

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #6,270 of 15,985
Very brief first impressions

Ok I compared M1AM2 (not burned in) vs my burned in ZX507 - there is a significant improvement thankfully. It's essentially more refined, the harshness and slightly dirty treble of the ZX507 is improved by a good amount resulting in better resolution, refinement and delicate touch, not to mention more specious imaging. OK so that's good thankfully (as it should be considering how underperforming the ZX507 is). There also seems to be more headroom, I was able to push HD800S much better, the ZX507 just craps out and makes them sound dirty.

vs the Hiby RS6 it's a more difficult comparison - they offer different takes. The RS6 has a very direct R2R sound - bass is denser, the mids are pushed forward, has a wider image, and the treble is gentler - however it has bit of R2R grit, and can come across as too mid forward for me, i'd like it to step back a little and be a little more shy/delicate. I'd say the Sony sounds a little more delicate in the mids/treble, eventhough the treble is little more sparkly I wouldn't say it comes across as more agressive/congested. The mids take one step back and allow a more contemplative listen instead of having my faced pushed against them like with the RS6. There is a bit more bloom and atmosphere with the Sony I think, where the RS6 it's just more direct - removing more stuff that stands in the way between the digital files and the ears, but sometimes a little injected romance is good.

I find the Mest Mk2 has some coherence issues with the treble, it can be disjointed (with some certain frequency ranges sharpness) and rear it's head where it's not wanted - i can see how the RS6 can hide that a little better than the Sony which is why perhaps it might be a better companion. The Sony is a fantastic combination with the IERM7 as expected, better than the RS6 - the slightly studio neutral boring tuning of the IERM7 is given a kick up it's bottom and the headphone comes alive, where the warm mid forward tuning of the RS6 doesn't quite give them the color they need (but is still very good ofcourse).

As for the s-master chip harshness i heard in older Sony players like the ZX507/ZX2 (hidden but not too well behind warm tuning), I think the M1AM2 seems to control that better through improved resolution and congestion, but I'm still not 100% - need to spend more time and ofcourse burn in, and more burn in with the Sony.

No doubt there is some masterful tuning and musicality coming out of the Sony; I'm relieved that they haven't just slapped on their logo and charged this much (where I kinda feel that a little with the ZX507). There's an ease with which the music flows with warmth, vividness and foot tapping quality. Anyway maybe my opinion will change lets see how things go.

Good take. My 1AM2 is not burned in, at least I don’t think so. I bought it from a forum member here and he had had it since April.

I’m listening again today without comparing the two. I do think the RS6 has a wider soundstage that I can tell you. I’m not saying the Sony is bad in that respect but definitely not as wide to my ears. I do think that the Sony has better low end definition and shaping. I do feel I can hear more details with the RS6, but maybe that’s my opinion. I would love to get another set of good iem’s that I may have a different opinion. Something completely different than the mests. Maybe like the IE600s or the fibrae UM7 which I’ve heard good things about. I listen to like 90% metal and 10% jazz just so u know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back