SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 3, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #6,181 of 15,612
No different from what I have seen. Still heavily dependent on what features are enabled and in use on the unit. For me battery life is a non issue as I don't listen for hours on end and a power point is never too far away.
I've debloated most of the stuff that I don't use, they last about 28hrsish playing shuffle on the playlist with a ton of DSDs and a bunch of 96/24 with some 44/16 files. All DSP turned off.

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #6,182 of 15,612
I do not enjoy the Mest2 out of the Walkman as much as well. Although in my case I felt that it was the Mest2's fault cos the Acoustune sound absolutely fabulous out of it... so much so I have not been giving my desktop set enough love lately.
I have similar observation with MEST1. Whereas I prefer MEST with every other player in my collection, A1M2 pairs extremely well with Monarch (also original, do not have Mk2). With monarch, sony beats even Hugo2 combos in my opinion.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #6,183 of 15,612
I have purchased three cases for my WM1A M2; a charcoal TPU case ($20 amazon), black rubber case ($20 amazon), and Dignis light brown leather case ($85 used on ebay). The TPU is my least favorite due to the firmness needed to press the play/ff/rr and volume buttons. It's also the most difficult to take on and off. On the positive side it's the one with the least covering on the display. Making it the easiest to grab the sliding scroll bar when scrolling though albums, artist, ect. This case has had the least usage; maybe the buttons will break in and become easier to press. I'm still happy with the tpu case.
The black rubber case is the case I have used the most. My two favorite things about this case are the rubber covers for the two headphone jacks and that the case is very grippy on surfaces. The grippy characteristic has saved the WM1A M2 from falls on more than one occasion. On the flip side the grippiness can make it difficult putting in and taking out of pockets. The buttons are easy to press and distinguish from one another. This case is the easiest to take on and off WM1A M2. A couple of negatives aspects of the rubber case; it's the thickest and least good feeling in hand. Also can be very difficult to scroll due to screen coverage. It probably provides the best protection of the cases. I still would not like to drop WM1A M2 though.
My favorite is the Dignis case. It feels great in hand and is aesthetically by far the best looking case. Buttons are easy to press and distinguish from one another. The screen coverage is similar to rubber case but not as thick, so easier to scroll. The main negative to this case is the price.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #6,184 of 15,612
I Bought a Clear Black TPU Case {22.95 CA} , Black Silicon Case { 23.13 CA } Zshion Screen Protector Tempered Glass 9H Hardness {10.51CA} for my WM1A M2 I am using the Clear Black TPU Case but really need want a WM1A M2 Fatbear case if there will ever be one made and sold , my A55 and 105 have Fatbear case they are great in my opinion , Also A SanDisk Extreme Pro 1tb Micro SD card $249 Canadian , I am waiting the 1.5 TB Micron SD card but may be a year Or more still in testing

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #6,185 of 15,612
Having a run out on a dull and rainy Sunday afternoon with the ES-R10 and the 1ZM2. Nice synergy. :)

A1608BEE-AAA4-4286-AF0C-B67E891316CE.jpeg

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #6,187 of 15,612
I have purchased three cases for my WM1A M2; a charcoal TPU case ($20 amazon), black rubber case ($20 amazon), and Dignis light brown leather case ($85 used on ebay). The TPU is my least favorite due to the firmness needed to press the play/ff/rr and volume buttons. It's also the most difficult to take on and off. On the positive side it's the one with the least covering on the display. Making it the easiest to grab the sliding scroll bar when scrolling though albums, artist, ect. This case has had the least usage; maybe the buttons will break in and become easier to press. I'm still happy with the tpu case.
The black rubber case is the case I have used the most. My two favorite things about this case are the rubber covers for the two headphone jacks and that the case is very grippy on surfaces. The grippy characteristic has saved the WM1A M2 from falls on more than one occasion. On the flip side the grippiness can make it difficult putting in and taking out of pockets. The buttons are easy to press and distinguish from one another. This case is the easiest to take on and off WM1A M2. A couple of negatives aspects of the rubber case; it's the thickest and least good feeling in hand. Also can be very difficult to scroll due to screen coverage. It probably provides the best protection of the cases. I still would not like to drop WM1A M2 though.
My favorite is the Dignis case. It feels great in hand and is aesthetically by far the best looking case. Buttons are easy to press and distinguish from one another. The screen coverage is similar to rubber case but not as thick, so easier to scroll. The main negative to this case is the price.
Hope this is helpful to someone.
Exactly 💯 what I feel, also had the same cases ..

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #6,188 of 15,612
I Bought a Clear Black TPU Case {22.95 CA} , Black Silicon Case { 23.13 CA } Zshion Screen Protector Tempered Glass 9H Hardness {10.51CA} for my WM1A M2 I am using the Clear Black TPU Case but really need want a WM1A M2 Fatbear case if there will ever be one made and sold , my A55 and 105 have Fatbear case they are great in my opinion , Also A SanDisk Extreme Pro 1tb Micro SD card $249 Canadian , I am waiting the 1.5 TB Micron SD card but may be a year Or more still in testing

I also use a smokey TPU case and the black rubber case, prefer the black case at home because of its feel but the TPU is a tighter fit and gives better protection. Just bought an amazon basics 1TB sd card, £93.

A couple of observations..

Have now put on 50 hours on balanced and 50 on 3.5mm. Could just be placebo but feels like more details are being revealed. This is the first unit where DSEE is quite noticeable and on that subject I can hear artefacts when it is on with a good quality source, so turn it off, but with low res sources it makes a nice extension to the sound.

Also have noticed amazon music has dropouts when screen goes off if the app has battery restriction on, so keep that off during use.

Also my unit seems to have difficulty aquiring wifi after being in aeroplane mode previously, the app sometimes crashes A restart solves the issue.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #6,189 of 15,612
Just to add to @Damz87 ’s post, the digital out applies to the streaming apps as well. Tested this morning with Apple Music and QQ Music. Into the Luxury & Precision P6Pro Obsidian.

50D03C68-0922-440B-B37E-4858B0E27F6A.jpeg31A2E1B0-9F19-4599-B91E-630DA9624478.jpeg
Hi @Kiats, is the digital out bitperfect from apple music?
How about the DSD engine, does it also work via digital out (for streaming w apple music)?

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6,191 of 15,612
Has anyone tried the following screen protector or found a glass one that fits the NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2?

The one from Amazon Japan has shipping costs twice that of the price of the product.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/aw...d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams
Amazon.ca have a number of compatible glass screen protectors. I bought a matte (not glass) by Brotect. Don't care for their name, but love the product. They do ship from Germany and took about three weeks for me in Ontario. They offer a glass one here:
https://www.amazon.ca/AirGlass-Prot...ny+nw-wm1am2+screen+protector,aps,174&sr=8-10

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #6,192 of 15,612
I bought this 3 months ago and I am completely satisfied with it so far.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #6,193 of 15,612
Sep 4, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #6,195 of 15,612
Does anyone have any recent information as to when there will be availability for purchase for these DAPs in the USA? I am aware that they are currently available through a few retail web sites in Japan.
Short supply world wide , the best thing to do is pick a Sony Authorized Dealer Pre Order And Wait , It may be a long wait though , Some Sony Authorized Dealer's received 1 unit from Sony that is the only one they will receive for a very long time , as there are supply issues everywhere , Even Sony's own webstores have non in North America

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back