SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #5,417 of 15,987
I have been waiting for the WM1Z m2 to launch in US for a very long time. I checked before and was told that the distributors will get them by the end of May. However, right now it's still only pre-order.:smiling_imp: Quite annoying.
Given the week Yen rate now, maybe directly import from Japan a good idea?
Japan Sony Store's ETA on WM1ZM2 is about 3 weeks now

Jul 21, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #5,419 of 15,987
Can I know do you turn on High Gain when listening? I feel without high gain, it sound better, more focus sound.
I stay on low gain recently. I also find Direct / DSD mode has a darker background, but DSEE is more dynamic, so I switch depending on the song I'm listening to.

Jul 21, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #5,422 of 15,987
Given the week Yen rate now, maybe directly import from Japan a good idea?
Japan Sony Store's ETA on WM1ZM2 is about 3 weeks now
That's definitely true, but I am not sure if I can make my mind to spend $3400 without demoing it lol. Also interested to know if Android mode is causing the player to lag since there's reviews saying that Sony didn't tell us which chip it uses (most of Android players are using Snapdragon 660) and it's lagging if you install a lot of third party applications.

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #5,424 of 15,987
Has the new player got a true line out function?
It's a DSD (direct stream digital), amplified in its original (digital) form, and then low-pass filtered by capacitors and chokes. Hence, even PCM encoded audio (music files) are converted first to DSD.

So, there is no true audio line out, like with a stand-alone DAC... because digital audio is never converted to analog audio, and then amplified in the analog domain (like in a pre-amp and/or power amp).

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #5,425 of 15,987
It's a DSD (direct stream digital), amplified in its original (digital) form, and then low-pass filtered by capacitors and chokes. Hence, even PCM encoded audio (music files) are converted first to DSD.

So, there is no true audio line out, like with a stand-alone DAC... because digital audio is never converted to analog audio, and then amplified in the analog domain (like in a pre-amp and/or power amp).

What are you talking about? Lol .. of course the digital source is converted to the analogue domain or else us humans wouldn't hear music 😄 instead we would hear some sort of static.

I think you mean the unit uses a digital amplifer? The ZX1 had the same but had/has a true line out as part of the Walkman port.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #5,426 of 15,987
That's definitely true, but I am not sure if I can make my mind to spend $3400 without demoing it lol. Also interested to know if Android mode is causing the player to lag since there's reviews saying that Sony didn't tell us which chip it uses (most of Android players are using Snapdragon 660) and it's lagging if you install a lot of third party applications.
No lag with music apps or Youtube, Chrome etc. But if you're looking to game on this... even SD665 won't do it well.

I only managed to demo the 1AM2 and decided I'm willing to spend for that additional 1% more improvement~ I'm probably too used to the 3Max, cos the 1AM2 felt too light and insubstantial to me 😅

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #5,427 of 15,987
What are you talking about? Lol .. of course the digital source is converted to the analogue domain or else us humans wouldn't hear music 😄 instead we would hear some sort of static.

I think you mean the unit uses a digital amplifer? The ZX1 had the same but had/has a true line out as part of the Walkman port.

"....and then low-pass filtered by capacitors and chokes."

Jul 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #5,428 of 15,987
No lag with music apps or Youtube, Chrome etc. But if you're looking to game on this... even SD665 won't do it well.

I only managed to demo the 1AM2 and decided I'm willing to spend for that additional 1% more improvement~ I'm probably too used to the 3Max, cos the 1AM2 felt too light and insubstantial to me 😅
Thanks for the info about lagging, that's a relief to know. I used to have Shanling M8 as my daily driver but were suffering from the lagging a lot (it has a Snapdragon 430 inside) even for Apple Music and that's the reason I am a little worried that Sony is not using Snapdragon 660 level chip. I heard that 1AM2 actually gets some decent improvements compared to the previous generation but 1ZM2 will definitely be the king. Glad that you are enjoying it right now!:)

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #5,429 of 15,987
Tired of waiting for the 1ZM2 to release in the USA, I managed to find a mint condition 1ZM1 on ebay, serial# 5058214, how could I find out the manufacturing date for these sony daps.
20220721_163219.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #5,430 of 15,987
Perso
Tired of waiting for the 1ZM2 to release in the USA, I managed to find a mint condition 1ZM1 on ebay, serial# 5058214, how could I find out the manufacturing date for these sony daps.
20220721_163219.jpg
Personally think this is the way, as you get to enjoy the ZM1 for what it is. Had it not been for an opportunity to get the ZM2 at a discount, I would've stuck with my ZM1 for a few more years.

It's truly that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back