SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 17, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #5,386 of 15,987
I also believe that there is a whole new wave of DAP customers coming from smartphones, myself included. LG leaving the market left us nowhere else to go. Someone just wrote that the Asus ROG 6 sounds worse than the ROG 5. Sony was the only phone with a micro SD left, and for that price, why not buy a Walkman?

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #5,387 of 15,987
80hrs in on balanced. The WM1ZM2 has me listing the 3Max for sale with the WA8 next in line.

Beautiful sound that brings with it an incredible soundstage height and depth.

I’m liking it so much that I’m even considering trying to adapt to the IER-1ZR again 🤣 And ordered a balanced cable for my good old EX1000 as well..

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #5,388 of 15,987
Nothing make much sense in this world actually. U work hard to earn more money, but all u need is 3 meal a day to survive.

3 meals feed the body , but you also need to feed your soul or you are just a walking battery :wink:

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #5,389 of 15,987
I also believe that there is a whole new wave of DAP customers coming from smartphones, myself included. LG leaving the market left us nowhere else to go. Someone just wrote that the Asus ROG 6 sounds worse than the ROG 5. Sony was the only phone with a micro SD left, and for that price, why not buy a Walkman?
Huh? Sony has audiophile Smartphones since quite a while, long before LG stopped and the LGs never have been that good to begin with imho. They where good in measurements but sounded only marginally better than the average smartphone. I've seen several blind A/B Tests where nobody was able to pick the LGs apart from any other average smartphone.

The DACs in the LG where just marketing, it completely lacked in the Amp section to backup the DACs.

It's the same with smartphone cameras. On paper, Smartphones are like the best thing you can get but in reality, there are tons of compact cameras that easily outperform every smartphone. Smartphones give you a taste of everything, but they don't perform well in any single area.

I think people rather turn to USB Dongle than to DAP because they give a big and audible boost in sound quality for laughable prices.

The cheapest Walkman with 4.4mm sells for over 700 while things like the FiiO KA3 are sold below 100.

If someone wasn't willing to spend 700 before, he is most likely not willing to spend 700 now

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #5,390 of 15,987
Huh? Sony has audiophile Smartphones since quite a while, long before LG stopped and the LGs never have been that good to begin with imho. They where good in measurements but sounded only marginally better than the average smartphone. I've seen several blind A/B Tests where nobody was able to pick the LGs apart from any other average smartphone.

The DACs in the LG where just marketing, it completely lacked in the Amp section to backup the DACs.

It's the same with smartphone cameras. On paper, Smartphones are like the best thing you can get but in reality, there are tons of compact cameras that easily outperform every smartphone. Smartphones give you a taste of everything, but they don't perform well in any single area.

I think people rather turn to USB Dongle than to DAP because they give a big and audible boost in sound quality for laughable prices.

The cheapest Walkman with 4.4mm sells for over 700 while things like the FiiO KA3 are sold below 100.

If someone wasn't willing to spend 700 before, he is most likely not willing to spend 700 now
I don't argue any of that. I have Dragonflies for my LG's. Sony's new Xperia is $2000 CDN for a short term device. That's all :)

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,391 of 15,987
80hrs in on balanced. The WM1ZM2 has me listing the 3Max for sale with the WA8 next in line.

Beautiful sound that brings with it an incredible soundstage height and depth.

I’m liking it so much that I’m even considering trying to adapt to the IER-1ZR again 🤣 And ordered a balanced cable for my good old EX1000 as well..
Yes, you should give the IER-Z1R another run out. The synergy is fantastic.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #5,393 of 15,987
Guess i got lucky, preordered my WM1AM2 June 22 on Amazon US, got it July 6. Sounds amazing, could use a little more power for some of my harder to drive cans [DC Aeon Noir needs 100/120] Meze Empyrean 85/120, MDR Z1R drives easy at 65-75/120. I'm mostly streaming and am having no issues. Using DSEE and DC Phase linear and Vinyl processor, subtle improvements that definitely push the music into that "Sony" sound.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #5,394 of 15,987
Guess i got lucky, preordered my WM1AM2 June 22 on Amazon US, got it July 6. Sounds amazing, could use a little more power for some of my harder to drive cans [DC Aeon Noir needs 100/120] Meze Empyrean 85/120, MDR Z1R drives easy at 65-75/120. I'm mostly streaming and am having no issues. Using DSEE and DC Phase linear and Vinyl processor, subtle improvements that definitely push the music into that "Sony" sound.
Are these numbers low or high gain? I remember going to 115/120 with the Meze when testing it with the M11 Plus on Low

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #5,396 of 15,987
I'm still in love with my AM2 EU unit.
The sound is clearly a big step forward if I compared it to my "old NW ZX100".
Soo much details, with a bigger sound stage.
My Zx100 was a french unit too, so I'm not very disappointed about the volume. I live with that since 2015.
But my AM2 have more power and can drive my Oppo PM-3. You need to reach volume 90 but it's possible.
I need to find a good 4,4mm balanced cable with a correct price, not 180€ or more.

I didn't understand why some people are using AM2 only on bluetooth because a lowercost DAP will sound the same because it's not the DAP who is working. For the price, I want to hear Sony premium sound processing.
I have too the Oppo PM3, and used to have the wm1a, this Wm1am2 is better and drive well the Pm3? Has line out?

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #5,397 of 15,987
The sound stays in the digital domain. It never gets to a point where it is analog, hence - no analog out. The headphone out is a digital bitstream, filtered by chokes and capacitors. It might be okay for the headphones, but for a high input impedance, wide bandwidth amplifier (and especially with a Vinyl Processor turned on), I wouldn't dare connect the headphones out straight to such an amp.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #5,398 of 15,987
The sound stays in the digital domain. It never gets to a point where it is analog, hence - no analog out. The headphone out is a digital bitstream, filtered by chokes and capacitors. It might be okay for the headphones, but for a high input impedance, wide bandwidth amplifier (and especially with a Vinyl Processor turned on), I wouldn't dare connect the headphones out straight to such an amp.
So you think you hear digital out of your headphone port??

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #5,399 of 15,987
What streaming app are you using please?
How is battery life?
How is transporting it around?
Does it fit your pockets?
Do you listen while walking?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #5,400 of 15,987
Hmmm... is Direct Source the same as DSD re-mastering?? They sound exactly the same to me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back