SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #5,176 of 15,518
Same here. If you use Bluetooth headphones you do not need the WM1Z or A.
Use an iPhone and save some money

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #5,177 of 15,518
Same here. If you use Bluetooth headphones you do not need the WM1Z or A.
Use an iPhone and save some money
Each to their own , I use Bluetooth LDAC with my WM1A M2 , XM4 headphones and my other walkman's , convenience No Cable in the way , sounds great flac and Hi Res some ACC , I do not need want or use a cell phone waste of money YES phones , everyone has opinion for better or worse as they say "sound" LDAC Sounds Great
LDAC is premium sound States Sony ,

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5,178 of 15,518
I'm still in love with my AM2 EU unit.
The sound is clearly a big step forward if I compared it to my "old NW ZX100".
Soo much details, with a bigger sound stage.
My Zx100 was a french unit too, si I'm very disappointed about the volume. I live with that since 2015.
But my AM2 have more power and can drive my Oppo PM-3. You need to reach volume 90 but it's possible.
I need to find a good 4,4mm balanced cable with a correct price, not 180€ or more.

I didn't understand why some people are using AM2 only on bluetooth because a lowercost DAP will sound the same because it's not the DAP who is working. For the price, I want to hear Sony premium sound processing.
I Use Bluetooth with my WM1A M2 Japan version and my other walkman's sound just fine thank you very much , I could Not Wait For North America Version will still be a month or more in Canada and USA for new Walkman's to Arrive and "Limited Supply" , everyone has opinion about sound BT Is Great my opinion thank you
very much LDAC , Sony states that LDAC is premium sound 990 kbps at 32 bit/96 kHz
All Sony lower cost DAP's are out of production no longer produced , Korea and China DAP's are not cheap plus Android OS Short battery life No More IPod's or nano Pods Phones Sound Awful therefore WM1A M2 Japan version for me with LDAC Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic , Plus Sony Makes Wonderful DAP's

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #5,179 of 15,518
I Use Bluetooth with my WM1A M2 Japan version and my other walkman's sound just fine thank you very much , I could Not Wait For North America Version will still be a month or more in Canada and USA for new Walkman's to Arrive and "Limited Supply" , everyone has opinion about sound BT Is Great my opinion thank you
very much LDAC , Sony states that LDAC is premium sound 990 kbps at 32 bit/96 kHz
All Sony lower cost DAP's are out of production no longer produced , Korea and China DAP's are not cheap plus Android OS Short battery life No More IPod's or nano Pods Phones Sound Awful therefore WM1A M2 Japan version for me with LDAC Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic , Plus Sony Makes Wonderful DAP's
I understand your feeling, it's not a critic, but only a fact. I was like you before, so no problem. When you are using LDAC, it's not the Sony AM2 sound, the sound will changed a little only if you used some DSP like vinyl sound feature.

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra and with LDAC , the sound is the same than my AM2, because it's my XM3 DAC or my Technics eah a 800 DAC who is working on bluetooth mode, the AM2 is only in "reader mode".

I'm a Sony lover since decades now, i love the Sony' sound, the design. I have yet a Discman, some Mini-disc.

I have chosen AM2 for the design, the long battery life, the streaming possibilities but I wanted to rediscover my loving tracks with a better soundstage, more détails. If you want to reach another level on sound quality, you need to used a jack and not bluetooth, even the LDAC one.

But yes, I enjoy like you listening to some music on LDAC mode, but the quality of this amazing DAP, can be found only with a cable.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #5,180 of 15,518
I understand your feeling, it's not a critic, but only a fact. I was like you before, so no problem. When you are using LDAC, it's not the Sony AM2 sound, the sound will changed a little only if you used some DSP like vinyl sound feature.

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra and with LDAC , the sound is the same than my AM2, because it's my XM3 DAC or my Technics eah a 800 DAC who is working on bluetooth mode, the AM2 is only in "reader mode".

I'm a Sony lover since decades now, i love the Sony' sound, the design. I have yet a Discman, some Mini-disc.

I have chosen AM2 for the design, the long battery life, the streaming possibilities but I wanted to rediscover my loving tracks with a better soundstage, more détails. If you want to reach another level on sound quality, you need to used a jack and not bluetooth, even the LDAC one.

But yes, I enjoy like you listening to some music on LDAC mode, but the quality of this amazing DAP, can be found only with a cable.
I using 1am2 purely spotify only. Does it mean I am also spending un-neccesary ? 🤔

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #5,182 of 15,518
for me personally, yes but that's solely my own opinion. Only you, yourself, can make judgement on what is (un)necessary. if you're happy, that's all that matters in the end.
What would u recommend? Hp w usb dongle better for me? Thk. I do love sony sound btw. That's why I didn't go for some ibasso/hiby lower price dap.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #5,183 of 15,518
What would u recommend? Hp w usb dongle better for me? Thk. I do love sony sound btw. That's why I didn't go for some ibasso/hiby lower price dap.

Just like movies, direct media is better than streaming at least for me. Like a movie on Netflix vs the same movie on a physical blueray. Not saying I can't enjoy it and I do use it for convenience

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #5,185 of 15,518
I using 1am2 purely spotify only. Does it mean I am also spending un-neccesary ? 🤔
No. The difference between an Smartphone and the WM1AM2 is clearly audible even with 128kbps MP3

Your spending unnecessary when you're using Bluetooth (mostly, as mentioned, DSP), but only then.

If you're using a cable connection, you'll have the difference.

And 320kbps AAC is excellent quality that even people with the most expensive equipment hardly, if at all, tell apart from CD Quality.

So it is absolutely 100% worth spending money on a good amp even if you're listening to 320kbps AAC.

You degrade the sound quality when using streaming apps because the S-Master HX runs at 100% power when streaming (aka worst case), but if you're using Low Gain, the effect is still Mostly in the inaudible area.

So the WM1AM2 is with its money when you're using an cable, even if the quality of the source is bad

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #5,186 of 15,518
It's a technical fact, not a feeling. I love listening Spotify with my AM2 too. Do what you love with it. A DAP is not only built for listening Hi Res with a cable. It's a multimedia thing .
I do have some flac files but the convenience of streaming make me lazy to purchase more flac files. 😄

Previously I went for ifi gryphon , a few dongle dac, all have some issue, end up getting sony. Very happy now. Solve hissing problem, popping sound issue, better sound signature that I like. But we'll it's a bit over spent. I also went for acoustune 1790ti, cable ars153, campfire holocene etc.

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #5,187 of 15,518
No. The difference between an Smartphone and the WM1AM2 is clearly audible even with 128kbps MP3

Your spending unnecessary when you're using Bluetooth (mostly, as mentioned, DSP), but only then.

And 320kbps AAC is excellent quality that even people with the most expensive equipment hardly, if at all, tell apart from CD Quality.

So it is absolutely 100% worth spending money on a good amp even if you're listening to 320kbps AAC.

You degrade the sound quality when using streaming apps because the S-Master HX runs at 100% power when streaming (aka worst case), but if you're using Low Gain, the effect is still Mostly in the inaudible area.

So the WM1AM2 is with its money when you're using an cable, even if the quality of the source is bad
So low gain is better when streaming?

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #5,189 of 15,518

Not a technical person, I just listen demo at sony shop and decide to make order after 30min of listening to Spotify ... then slowly change my headphone setup to iem, and the cost balloon over my initial budget. But enjoying every single night listening to it. 😁

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #5,190 of 15,518
Not a technical person, I just listen demo at sony shop and decide to make order after 30min of listening to Spotify ... then slowly change my headphone setup to iem, and the cost balloon over my initial budget. But enjoying every single night listening to it. 😁
The most important thing is you are enjoying your new purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back