SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 23, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #5,086 of 15,985
Hi everyone! I'm a new user. This is my second Sony Android DAP. My previous machine is ZX507. I have encountered the music streaming app problems (Spotify and TIDAL) of continuing music skipping and shuttering after the screen has been turned off. But the same Android setting the music skipping and shuttering didn't show up in ZX507 when using the streaming apps. The Sony Walkman music player works fine on both devices. I already contacted the Sony service, but I think the issue won't be taken care to the true engineering professionals according to the reply from Sony. It's sad!

I summarized the possible problems and solutions (But not totally resolved!)

1. In Android System Setting
    I've tried turning off the battery optimization in individual app management, switching off battery manager, disabling all redundant apps, and resting the android. But these did not solve the problem.
  2. In Sound Setting
    I turned off the High-res streaming function. The problem was solved! However, the sound stage is totally different. So I focused on the processing power problem and tried to reduce apps to occupy the processing power.
  3. Sound Adjustment
    I usually turn on EQ (Please don't judge me ), DSEE Ultimate, DC Phase Linearizer, and Vinyl Processor. When the four sound adjustments are turned on in High-res streaming mode, the music will skip and shutter at the screen off. Strikingly, when I turned off one of these sound adjustments, the problem was resolved.
Did anyone encounter the same problem or just my device malfunctioning? Could anyone provide device setting suggestions to truly solve the problem? Thanks!
What was Sony's exact reply to you for the skipping issue , I do not stream or use TITAL or Spotify , My WM1AM2 japan version some times freezes when I shut it off , gets stuck on power off screen , can not power it back on while screen is stuck in power off screen power button does not function when in screen freeze "Power Off " , have to reboot on my pc or plug a USB C cable into it and Sony was no help to me

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #5,088 of 15,985
20220623_225709.jpg

This china made remote work flawlessly with sony. (Unable to find original rmt-nws20)

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,089 of 15,985
What was Sony's exact reply to you for the skipping issue , I do not stream or use TITAL or Spotify , My WM1AM2 japan version some times freezes when I shut it off , gets stuck on power off screen , can not power it back on while screen is stuck in power off screen power button does not function when in screen freeze "Power Off " , have to reboot on my pc or plug a USB C cable into it and Sony was no help to me.
They blamed the streaming app developers and suggested me contact the TIDAL, SPOTIFY, and even UAPP. It was so disappointing. I hope the next system update will solve the problem. :worried:

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #5,090 of 15,985
No issues with streaming on my 1ZM2. The set does not have any issues with audio playback of any kind streaming or offline since using it.
Could you try the conditions that I previously mentioned, please? The condition switches high-res streaming, EQ, DSEE Ultimate, DC phase linearizer, and vinyl processor on. Play the Spotify or tidal and lock the screen. The music skipping or shuttering will show up in 1-2 minutes. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #5,091 of 15,985
No issues with streaming on my 1ZM2. The set does not have any issues with audio playback of any kind streaming or offline since using it.
Anyone steam / download files Qobuz successfully?

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #5,092 of 15,985
What was Sony's exact reply to you for the skipping issue , I do not stream or use TITAL or Spotify , My WM1AM2 japan version some times freezes when I shut it off , gets stuck on power off screen , can not power it back on while screen is stuck in power off screen power button does not function when in screen freeze "Power Off " , have to reboot on my pc or plug a USB C cable into it and Sony was no help to me
Next time when it freeze again... Try pressing both volume buttons and power button at the same time till the player reboot itself..

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #5,093 of 15,985
Hi everyone! I'm a new WM1AM2 user. This is my second Sony Android DAP. My previous machine is ZX507. I have encountered the music streaming app problems (Spotify and TIDAL) of continuing music skipping and shuttering after the screen has been turned off. But the same Android setting the music skipping and shuttering didn't show up in ZX507 when using the streaming apps. The Sony Walkman music player works fine on both devices. I already contacted the Sony service, but I think the issue won't be taken care to the true engineering professionals according to the reply from Sony. It's sad!

I've tried turning off the battery optimization in individual app management, switching off battery manager, disabling all redundant apps, and resting the android. But these did not solve the problem.
  2. In Sound Setting
    I turned off the High-res streaming function. The problem was solved! However, the sound stage is totally different. So I focused on the processing power problem and tried to reduce apps to occupy the processing power.
  3. Sound Adjustment
    I usually turn on EQ (Please don't judge me ), DSEE Ultimate, DC Phase Linearizer, and Vinyl Processor. When the four sound adjustments are turned on in High-res streaming mode, the music will skip and shutter at the screen off. Strikingly, when I turned off one of these sound adjustments, the problem was resolved.
Did anyone encounter the same problem or just my device malfunctioning? Could anyone provide device setting suggestions to truly solve the problem? Thanks!

Try to go through optimization steps: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #5,096 of 15,985
Could you try the conditions that I previously mentioned, please? The condition switches high-res streaming, EQ, DSEE Ultimate, DC phase linearizer, and vinyl processor on. Play the Spotify or tidal and lock the screen. The music skipping or shuttering will show up in 1-2 minutes. Thanks!
Yes, I have these settings on Tidal with a masters album playing. No issues. Did you try on other WiFi networks?

Jun 23, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #5,098 of 15,985
Hi everyone! I'm a new WM1AM2 user. This is my second Sony Android DAP. My previous machine is ZX507. I have encountered the music streaming app problems (Spotify and TIDAL) of continuing music skipping and shuttering after the screen has been turned off. But the same Android setting the music skipping and shuttering didn't show up in ZX507 when using the streaming apps. The Sony Walkman music player works fine on both devices. I already contacted the Sony service, but I think the issue won't be taken care to the true engineering professionals according to the reply from Sony. It's sad!

2. In Sound Setting
  3. Sound Adjustment
I have the same problem on WM1ZM2 and my settings are pretty much the same as yours. The last time this happened was just the other night when I streamed Spotify playlist without offline download. A few songs played then stop midway of the song. I had this same issue on ZX507 as well but playing around with the settings like battery optimisation and others made it better but not entirely gone. In the end, I just have to start making a habit of downloading things for offline listening to avoid the issue. I always assume it is an issue with the Walkman system, but that’s my only guessing.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #5,100 of 15,985
I have the same problem on WM1ZM2 and my settings are pretty much the same as yours. The last time this happened was just the other night when I streamed Spotify playlist without offline download. A few songs played then stop midway of the song. I had this same issue on ZX507 as well but playing around with the settings like battery optimisation and others made it better but not entirely gone. In the end, I just have to start making a habit of downloading things for offline listening to avoid the issue. I always assume it is an issue with the Walkman system, but that’s my only guessing.
I use apple music and qobuz. I have a habit of downloading music through an app or using it online when I want to try out a new piece of music. However, you will realize that: the sound quality when used with the walkman app is always better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back