SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 30, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #3,421 of 15,985
This japanese reviewer takes the cake, gave 1 star without actually listening:
https://review.kakaku.com/review/K0001420914/ReviewCD=1567963/#tab
I needed to run the review through Google Translate but the reviewer seems to be looking at the unit from a technical point of view rather than a user perspective. Anyway I agree the review does seem a little unfair.

The iBasso DX320 the reviewer mentions may be worth a look as a comparison to the WM1AM2 though, I expect it will be around the same price point.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #3,422 of 15,985
I needed to run the review through Google Translate but the reviewer seems to be looking at the unit from a technical point of view rather than a user perspective. Anyway I agree the review does seem a little unfair.

The iBasso DX320 the reviewer mentions may be worth a look as a comparison to the WM1AM2 though, I expect it will be around the same price point.
Also take into account 'reviews' from fanboys and trolls secretly associated with other brands. Nothing new in this industry.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #3,423 of 15,985
Thats my review. Its ruined for EU buyers, its £3,300 and my S10+ phone drives more power. I know there are some serious Sony fanboys in here but come on.

When its not crippled it would be a 4-5 from me for the Z (500g too heavy) and expect 5 for the 1A at 1/3rd the price. When I get my Amazon Japan one it will bt 5 star on there.

Needing 85-90/120 for 8 ohm SE846's compared to 45-50 on a Japanese one is taking the piss, and No High gain either.

The cheap Hiby 5G2 that came same day drives my SE846 at only 28/100 and on low gain and has to high gain levels, and thats using the ESS DAC's internal AMP only, not the secondary Class A amp.
Interesting, you say it has no high gain setting, has anyone asked Sony UK why they mention a high gain setting on their website?

1651309273576.png

Leaving aside the confusing impedance specs of the Shure SE846, at 114 dB SPL/mW it should go to crazy volume levels at even 60mW single ended.

Something is not right here, are we saying this DAP is outputting less than 1mW?

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #3,424 of 15,985
Also take into account 'reviews' from fanboys and trolls secretly associated with other brands. Nothing new in this industry.
Agree, I'm a Sony fan but at £1,299 or £3,299 UK buyers need honesty and should import it, not put up with this EU capping nonsense.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #3,425 of 15,985
Interesting, you say it has no high gain setting, has anyone asked Sony UK why they mention a high gain setting on their website?

Leaving aside the confusing impedance specs of the Shure SE846, at 114 dB SPL/mW it should go to crazy volume levels at even 60mW single ended.

Something is not right here, are we saying this DAP is outputting less than 1mW?
Yep, read earlier in thread and been on with Technical and awaiting response but expecting none. ZX507 owners already been through this EU capping nonsense with no solution but to import.

They have a small print on tech spec saying not all markets and have an EU specific advisory. Order one and try it for yourself if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #3,426 of 15,985
Yep, read earlier in thread and been on with Technical and awaiting response but expecting none. ZX507 owners already been through this EU capping nonsense with no solution but to import.

They have a small print on tech spec saying not all markets and have an EU specific advisory. Order one and try it for yourself if you don't beleive me.
I think I may well do that.

We all should order a capped one from Amazon or another UK/EU site that accepts returns and simply all return them, rather than importing one. Perhaps faced with a large number of returned units Sony will do something about this, but probably not.

Amazon UK will certainly stop selling them quickly, they have done so with several products in the past, yes Chord Poly I'm looking at you here. :)

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #3,427 of 15,985

We all should order a capped one from Amazon or another UK/EU site that accepts returns and simply all return them, rather than importing one. Perhaps faced with a large number of returned units Sony will do something about this, but probably not.

Amazon UK will certainly stop selling them quickly, they have done so with several products in the past, yes Chord Poly I'm looking at you here. :)
Thats exactly what I did with the A107, ZX507 and now 1ZM2. And I imported an A107 & ZX507 from Amazon Japan and waiting on new stock for the 1AM2. Just check out the Amazon UK ZX507 reviews.

Even the ZX2 had volume limiting but you could kill one of apps running to get around that (it did reset on a restart but was a partial solution) All the Sony OS ones like ZX300 I could use the firmware flashing route.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #3,428 of 15,985
Agree, I'm a Sony fan but at £1,299 or £3,299 UK buyers need honesty and should import it, not put up with this EU capping nonsense.
I completely agree with you. I would not under any circumstances buy a capped player at $300 let alone $3000. Maybe you should just add to your review that your rating is specifically for the EU 'crippled' version (apologies if you did already, I didn't read your review). You should call Sony out on this, even if it's not their law. But at the same time anyone who buys a crippled version knowing it's crippled has no basis to complain (I know why you did this so I'm not referring to you - I'm glad you took the time to verify this).

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #3,429 of 15,985
This japanese reviewer takes the cake, gave 1 star without actually listening:
https://review.kakaku.com/review/K0001420914/ReviewCD=1567963/#tab
That review is quite funny...

He said the screen of ZX507 is much better than WMA1M2, and he is disappointed... Well, I can't stop others to use DAP for other functions rather than music. But from my point of view, if youtube/movie watching concern you so much, you should grab a phone, not a DAP.

And he talks about electromagnetic wave... Maybe my Japanese is not good enough, I really can't link what he says with WMA1M2. Esp. the following
"I want a earphone which is made in America or England, but given the concern of electromagnetic wave, I think I better give up" -> ????

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #3,430 of 15,985
I completely agree with you. I would not under any circumstances buy a capped player at $300 let alone $3000. Maybe you should just add to your review that your rating is specifically for the EU 'crippled' version (apologies if you did already, I didn't read your review). You should call Sony out on this, even if it's not their law. But at the same time anyone who buys a crippled version knowing it's crippled has no basis to complain (I know why you did this so I'm not referring to you - I'm glad you took the time to verify this).
Yep, said player awesome ruined by EU cap.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #3,433 of 15,985
Dignis case for M2 is coming end of May. Here is the sample 2 of the case.
It looks like an Alcantara, a Patina and a "Walkman" version are also in the work.

They should use cutout holes for the buttons. Makes easier to locate without looking.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #3,434 of 15,985

Sony will probably just make them officially unavailable to the EU and UK.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #3,435 of 15,985
Yep, said player awesome ruined by EU cap.
Sony is a joke, the Dap uncapped is allready underpowered, capped is a shame, is a scandal, is very sad to see a brand that does this to the costumers and asks almost 4k price, yes I know that is EU rules, but there are other ways to do that and leave the choice to listen high volumes or low to the costumers, even more sad is to know that Sq wise this dap must be awesome...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back