SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 18, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #676 of 15,985
Ok. So it's not over yet but will end very soon, March 29, ironically when M2 is just coming out, with no announcement of another service. So curious if he's talking about this or another thing

https://mora-qualitas.com/notice/

I have to say from my experience working with Sony that they are not great about communicating especially between countries. A few times I had to contact Sony Canada and more often than not they seemed clueless and unable to help me.

So if the Sony rep is working from old information then maybe there is hope Sony could change their mind about an A65. But my guess is if they are considering it we won't hear about it any time soon. I was not aware Sony had discontinued their streaming service. If I get anymore information I will certainly pass it on.

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #677 of 15,985
High gain don't in any way damage the hearing. Turning the volume up too high does
....gain should have been sorted in the recording and mixing. Adding more electrical energy to the source going in degrades the signal.

The ear quickly becomes used to sound levels, so it can quickly lead to increasing the volume, with gain actually helping and abetting, as the ear cochlea hairs tire.

Ever come back the day after listening to headphones and find the level way too loud....?

Running high gain into IEMs is just asking for trouble. High impedance overhears maybe, but IEMS??? pumping sound directly into the ear canal....with high gain....???

Just look at how the Sony engineers talk about the DMP Z1 and 'gain' https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/dmp-z1-interview

V&S Business Division DMP-Z1 Electrical and Acoustic Engineer Keika Matsuzaki

How did you solve that problem?
Matsuzaki:
We stuck to the most basic of basics: multi-point grounding for the digital and single-point grounding for the analogue. If this failed in even one place, noise would be introduced there. To test audio quality, you have to actually create a prototype and trial the audio, then find ways to improve it and create another prototype. This steady process of repetition is very important. With the DMP-Z1, we continued testing the audio quality right up until the final stage, so I think we managed to achieve a sound that we're really happy with.

Tomo (S):
Sometimes you thought you'd hit on a way of reducing noise, only to find you'd actually made the sound worse. There were ups and downs, that's for sure.

Matsuzaki:
If you just fix lots of analogue ground points onto the digital side you won't hear any noise, but the energy flowing out will get mixed into the analogue sound and make it muddy and weak. We pored over the finest details to eliminate noise without losing out on the audio quality. I don’t know how many times I wished we could just give up on trying to make the device compatible with the AC adaptor!

Don't those problems occur when the device is running on battery power?
Matsuzaki:
No, they don't. The power circuit structure for running on battery power at normal gain is very simple, so there's nothing in the power supply that can become a source of noise. However, in high-gain mode, which is used with high-impedance headphones, the voltage is increased. This means that even when the device is in battery power mode and isn't being powered by the AC adaptor, the power supply can still be a source of noise to a lesser extent. But to counter that we use high-grade switching controllers—the kind that are used in measuring instruments—so that the effects are minimal.

Tomo (S):
This power source structure means that the optimum setting for the DMP-Z1 in terms of audio quality is battery-power mode at normal-gain. In this mode, the audio circuit with positive and negative power sources is driven by clean, noiseless power from the batteries, without using a DC/DC converter. This power-circuit arrangement, unique to the DMP-Z1, enables this special operation mode. Amongst audiophiles there's an urban legend that high gain gives a better sound even with ordinary headphones, but that's certainly not the case with this product, at least.

Does that mean the DMP-Z1 isn't recommended for use with high-impedance headphones?
Tomo (S):
It does not mean that it is not recommended. Normal gain has output high enough to get the most out of ordinary headphones anyway, and with high-impedance headphones both driver efficiency and noise sensitivity are low, so you won't hear noise even in high gain. You can try listening in normal gain with your headphones and then switching to the high-gain setting if you feel the volume isn’t loud enough. Changing the gain setting to suit your headphones' efficiency and sensitivity in this way is an important point when trialling high-quality audio.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #680 of 15,985
I like the silver stock cable as it looks really classy. However, I like the bling that the Kimber Kable brings to the table. I understand that Sony used silk to give the stock cable that velvety look.

As for sound on cables, I can't comment since I dont own it yet but I look forward to CanJam 2022 Singapore so that I can hopefully snag it for a good price. I fell in love with the bass it has and I cannot stress enough how much it feels like jewellery.

Just like its gold plated distant cousin, the WM1Z/WM1ZM2 :wink:
Sony store has an online presence on both Shopee and Lazada. Watch out for the occasional sales during campaigns where they will have vouchers up to S$200 iirc. I bought the ZX507 that way previously. Ditto for the Z1R.

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #681 of 15,985
Sony store has an online presence on both Shopee and Lazada. Watch out for the occasional sales during campaigns where they will have vouchers up to S$200 iirc. I bought the ZX507 that way previously. Ditto for the Z1R.
Yup I am aware. Thanks for the reminder. I am already keeping a close eye on Sony's presence in Singapore.

However, for the IER-Z1R, I want to get the best deal I can bar getting it used so Shopee and Lazada aren't viable. I have to ask around or wait till CanJam.

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #682 of 15,985
....gain should have been sorted in the recording and mixing. Adding more electrical energy to the source going in degrades the signal.

The ear quickly becomes used to sound levels, so it can quickly lead to increasing the volume, with gain actually helping and abetting, as the ear cochlea hairs tire.

Ever come back the day after listening to headphones and find the level way too loud....?

Running high gain into IEMs is just asking for trouble. High impedance overhears maybe, but IEMS??? pumping sound directly into the ear canal....with high gain....???

Just look at how the Sony engineers talk about the DMP Z1 and 'gain' https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/dmp-z1-interview

Matsuzaki:
We stuck to the most basic of basics: multi-point grounding for the digital and single-point grounding for the analogue. If this failed in even one place, noise would be introduced there. To test audio quality, you have to actually create a prototype and trial the audio, then find ways to improve it and create another prototype. This steady process of repetition is very important. With the DMP-Z1, we continued testing the audio quality right up until the final stage, so I think we managed to achieve a sound that we're really happy with.

Tomo (S):
Sometimes you thought you'd hit on a way of reducing noise, only to find you'd actually made the sound worse. There were ups and downs, that's for sure.

Matsuzaki:
If you just fix lots of analogue ground points onto the digital side you won't hear any noise, but the energy flowing out will get mixed into the analogue sound and make it muddy and weak. We pored over the finest details to eliminate noise without losing out on the audio quality. I don’t know how many times I wished we could just give up on trying to make the device compatible with the AC adaptor!

Matsuzaki:
No, they don't. The power circuit structure for running on battery power at normal gain is very simple, so there's nothing in the power supply that can become a source of noise. However, in high-gain mode, which is used with high-impedance headphones, the voltage is increased. This means that even when the device is in battery power mode and isn't being powered by the AC adaptor, the power supply can still be a source of noise to a lesser extent. But to counter that we use high-grade switching controllers—the kind that are used in measuring instruments—so that the effects are minimal.

Tomo (S):
This power source structure means that the optimum setting for the DMP-Z1 in terms of audio quality is battery-power mode at normal-gain. In this mode, the audio circuit with positive and negative power sources is driven by clean, noiseless power from the batteries, without using a DC/DC converter. This power-circuit arrangement, unique to the DMP-Z1, enables this special operation mode. Amongst audiophiles there's an urban legend that high gain gives a better sound even with ordinary headphones, but that's certainly not the case with this product, at least.

Does that mean the DMP-Z1 isn't recommended for use with high-impedance headphones?
Tomo (S):
It does not mean that it is not recommended. Normal gain has output high enough to get the most out of ordinary headphones anyway, and with high-impedance headphones both driver efficiency and noise sensitivity are low, so you won't hear noise even in high gain. You can try listening in normal gain with your headphones and then switching to the high-gain setting if you feel the volume isn’t loud enough. Changing the gain setting to suit your headphones' efficiency and sensitivity in this way is an important point when trialling high-quality audio.

A lot of more or less understandable words, but I always wonder, why they don't simply show the real power needed from an amp to be able to get the full available dynamic range by sensitivity/impedance of the IEMs/Headphones ?
Then it's up to the listener to appreciate if less continuous than 70db is the best or just being able to get even more than 100db instant dynamic.

Feb 19, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #683 of 15,985
https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1413849Good WM m1/2 compare

My thoughts...without being able to run @MrWalkman W1A on my WM1Z I would not have kept it. For me the tuning was doubling up in the hardware - kimber at al- and tube hazing the Sonics. I appreciate some like this. But vinyl softness as ive said earlier -is really pink noise added to all freq due to abrasive needle/vinyl interaction. What it does do is reduce ear fatigue. That's what poorly implemented digital can cause. Thw 1z as 1a had the clarity the reviewer below says the 1zm2 has.

GTranslate below

Now let's compare the sound quality you care
about!

First of all, we will review from the previous model!

NW-WM1Z​

All the flowing sounds are glossy. Anyway, the sound is beautiful and the connection between the sounds is good, so you can listen comfortably.

Thanks to the Kimber cable of the internal wiring, there is a lot of information in the low range, and the low range expression of the music is fully delivered to the ear.

It is also good at spatial depiction, but the sound field is a little narrow.

As a genre that goes well with it, there are live sounds such as classical and jazz.

I felt that something that could feel the atmosphere of the place, such as a live sound source, was good.

NW-WM1A​

It is a sound that is cohesive as a whole, and each sound is light and easy to hear, and you will not get tired of listening.

I felt that the vocals were very easy to hear because of the tendency of weak kamaboko, where there are not many claims for high and low frequencies.

The sound tuning is exquisite and you can use it without worrying about the compatibility of earphones and headphones, and you can listen comfortably in any combination.

Compared to the WM1Z, the weight and thickness of the sound is less realistic.

However, there is flexibility because of its refreshing sound.

With its flexibility, you can handle all genres.

In this regard, I think it is a part that surpasses the WM1Z.

Speaking of force, I felt that it goes well with studio-recorded sound sources and genres such as J-POP and rock.

Listen to WM1Z and WM1A ―――​

It's simple, but the impression I heard for the first time in a few years was like this!

The most amazing thing is the Walkman, which has been on the market for more than 5 years, but it has excellent high-quality sound.

I don't feel old at all.

I realized the greatness of the Walkman again
No, the sound is good! !!

At that time, there was no mistake in my ears who chose WM1A ...

The sound quality made me think so!

NW-WM1ZM2​

Compared to the WM1Z, it has transformed into a clearer and brighter sound throughout the entire band.

I felt that the resolution of the treble range was greatly improved this time while keeping the resolution of the bass range that was originally prepared.

Glittering sounds such as wind chimes are also very delicate and gorgeous.

When I listen to the WM1Z again, I feel that it is a little closer to the low range.

In addition, the sound field has become a little wider, and it is more three-dimensional and has a better sense of localization.

The music genre is also classical and jazz like WM1Z.

Furthermore, the compatibility with live sound sources is even better.

The sound you hear is a raw sound that goes beyond the raw sound ...

To be honest, I was impressed.

NW-WM1AM2​

The weight and thickness of the sound, which I felt a little unsatisfactory while maintaining the sound quality tendency of the WM1A, has increased.

The power of the sound has also improved, and the sound has a more listening tendency than the WM1A.

Above all, the sound field has become very wide. The WM1A had a very cohesive sound,

The part where the extension of the sound was a little weak has been improved.

You can enjoy various things regardless of earphones or headphones.

The WM1AM2 also has the almighty ability to handle all genres.

WM1AM2 is recommended for those who want to listen to vocals mainly in contemporary songs.

Listen to WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2​

Again, the sound quality of the previous model I listened to again is very high,

I was already absorbed in the music without any dissatisfaction, so I thought there was nothing I could improve from here ...

If you compare them by listening, you can clearly see that the resolution, expressiveness, and sound field are improved.

I was still surprised if there was a top.

It has evolved into the ultimate DAP with no flaws!

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #684 of 15,985
The weight and thickness of the sound, which I felt a little unsatisfactory while maintaining the sound quality tendency of the WM1A, has increased.

----
Do you mean compared with 1A or in general? And how unsatisfactory?

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #685 of 15,985
Maybe it's meant that the original WM1A wasn't full bodied enough, which is true. So I took that sentence as an improvement in the WM1AM2. It has more body and fullness it seems, compared to the original 1A. At least in my interpretation.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #686 of 15,985
https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1413849Good WM m1/2 compare

My thoughts...without being able to run @MrWalkman W1A on my WM1Z I would not have kept it. For me the tuning was doubling up in the hardware - kimber at al- and tube hazing the Sonics. I appreciate some like this. But vinyl softness as ive said earlier -is really pink noise added to all freq due to abrasive needle/vinyl interaction. What it does do is reduce ear fatigue. That's what poorly implemented digital can cause. Thw 1z as 1a had the clarity the reviewer below says the 1zm2 has.

GTranslate below

Now let's compare the sound quality you care
about!

First of all, we will review from the previous model!

NW-WM1Z​

All the flowing sounds are glossy. Anyway, the sound is beautiful and the connection between the sounds is good, so you can listen comfortably.

Thanks to the Kimber cable of the internal wiring, there is a lot of information in the low range, and the low range expression of the music is fully delivered to the ear.

It is also good at spatial depiction, but the sound field is a little narrow.

As a genre that goes well with it, there are live sounds such as classical and jazz.

I felt that something that could feel the atmosphere of the place, such as a live sound source, was good.

NW-WM1A​

It is a sound that is cohesive as a whole, and each sound is light and easy to hear, and you will not get tired of listening.

I felt that the vocals were very easy to hear because of the tendency of weak kamaboko, where there are not many claims for high and low frequencies.

The sound tuning is exquisite and you can use it without worrying about the compatibility of earphones and headphones, and you can listen comfortably in any combination.

Compared to the WM1Z, the weight and thickness of the sound is less realistic.

However, there is flexibility because of its refreshing sound.

With its flexibility, you can handle all genres.

In this regard, I think it is a part that surpasses the WM1Z.

Speaking of force, I felt that it goes well with studio-recorded sound sources and genres such as J-POP and rock.

Listen to WM1Z and WM1A ―――​

It's simple, but the impression I heard for the first time in a few years was like this!

The most amazing thing is the Walkman, which has been on the market for more than 5 years, but it has excellent high-quality sound.

I don't feel old at all.

I realized the greatness of the Walkman again
No, the sound is good! !!

At that time, there was no mistake in my ears who chose WM1A ...

The sound quality made me think so!

NW-WM1ZM2​

Compared to the WM1Z, it has transformed into a clearer and brighter sound throughout the entire band.

I felt that the resolution of the treble range was greatly improved this time while keeping the resolution of the bass range that was originally prepared.

Glittering sounds such as wind chimes are also very delicate and gorgeous.

When I listen to the WM1Z again, I feel that it is a little closer to the low range.

In addition, the sound field has become a little wider, and it is more three-dimensional and has a better sense of localization.

The music genre is also classical and jazz like WM1Z.

Furthermore, the compatibility with live sound sources is even better.

The sound you hear is a raw sound that goes beyond the raw sound ...

To be honest, I was impressed.

NW-WM1AM2​

The power of the sound has also improved, and the sound has a more listening tendency than the WM1A.

Above all, the sound field has become very wide. The WM1A had a very cohesive sound,

The part where the extension of the sound was a little weak has been improved.

You can enjoy various things regardless of earphones or headphones.

The WM1AM2 also has the almighty ability to handle all genres.

WM1AM2 is recommended for those who want to listen to vocals mainly in contemporary songs.

Listen to WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2​

Again, the sound quality of the previous model I listened to again is very high,

I was already absorbed in the music without any dissatisfaction, so I thought there was nothing I could improve from here ...

If you compare them by listening, you can clearly see that the resolution, expressiveness, and sound field are improved.

I was still surprised if there was a top.

It has evolved into the ultimate DAP with no flaws!
Thank you for your translation efforts!

I agree so much with his description of the 1ZM2 sound. The space got wider and the treble got better. However, the 3rd last sentence is the best which I have bolded and underlined.

The original phrase in Japanese reads, "解像度の高さ、表現力、音場の広さが向上しているのが分かります" which means that there is an upgrade to the resolution, presentation and soundstage. This really could not be more true.

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #687 of 15,985
Thank you for your translation efforts!

I agree so much with his description of the 1ZM2 sound. The space got wider and the treble got better. However, the 3rd last sentence is the best which I have bolded and underlined.

The original phrase in Japanese reads, "解像度の高さ、表現力、音場の広さが向上しているのが分かります" which means that there is an upgrade to the resolution, presentation and soundstage. This really could not be more true.
Thanks for the fine translation tuning! Makes all the difference. So have you been able to compare 1z on @MrWalkman FW vrs 1zm2 directly?

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #688 of 15,985
Thanks for the fine translation tuning! Makes all the difference. So have you been able to compare 1z on @MrWalkman FW vrs 1zm2 directly?
Always welcome m8! I wish I had the time to do a full translation but alas, life has tasks for me.

As for the comparison, I haven't had the honour of doing so but I intend to do so really soon. To those following the thread, stay tuned :wink:

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #689 of 15,985

Matsuzaki:

Tomo (S):

Matsuzaki:

Matsuzaki:

Tomo (S):

Tomo (S):
See all of those big and juicy capacitors ? That is where we modder come in :)

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #690 of 15,985

Users who are viewing this thread

Back