SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #14,342 of 15,987
Swissbit is almost near 2x times the price of the Micron. Do note that the Micron I400 is using QLC nand while the Swissbit S55U is using 3D TLC. The write endurance durability of 3D TLC is going to be far more better than QLC but its going to be more costly to manufacture.

current prices in USD:

Micron MTSD256ANC8MS-1WT $69.13​

Swissbit SFSD256GN1AM1MT-I-7G-211-STD $136.86​

In the meantime I also looked at the prices at Mouser.
Swissbit is twice as expensive but that doesn't mean it sounds twice as good. Needs to be tested out. This would actually be best done by someone who already has an expensive Swissbit and great ears like a bat or Sonywalkmanuser :relaxed::relaxed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::beerchug:

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #14,343 of 15,987
So from my own experience I can only say that the Micron is a lot better than, for example, the Samsung Evo or Scan Ultra. Looking at it from a sound technical point of view. And if someone doesn't want to spend 138 bucks on Swissbit, the Micron is a very good alternative at a moderate price. I think @Whitigir will completely agree with me.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #14,344 of 15,987
In the meantime I also looked at the prices at Mouser.
Swissbit is twice as expensive but that doesn't mean it sounds twice as good. Needs to be tested out. This would actually be best done by someone who already has an expensive Swissbit and great ears like a bat or Sonywalkmanuser :relaxed::relaxed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::beerchug:

Comparing to other cards that I have tried, I find the Swissbit card to offer the most clear sounding and most holographic imaging of them all. There's a sense of total mental relaxation when listening to certain genres of music. I feel that it is much more easy to emotionally connect to the music with the Swissbit card as you can really sense even more of the atmosphere and breath of the recording. There's something that seems so effortless about the sound of the Swissbit with the WM1AM2. Then again, I should probably dunk my head into the freezer and perform plastic surgery on my ears to look more like bat ears, maybe that will improve my senses even better?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #14,346 of 15,987
Excellent! Now how did this not appear once on my feed. 🙂
There's actually quite alot of good singers on youtube.

She is also really good, very expressive singing, so far I think she has the best cover for First Love, not many singers is able to deliver the emotional feel that this song needs:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #14,347 of 15,987
There's actually quite alot of good singers on youtube.

She is also really good, very expressive singing, so far I think she has the best cover for First Love, not many singers is able to deliver the emotional feel that this song needs:

Will check them out. Great stuff. 👍🏻
Also enjoyed some of your earlier posts of Ayaka Hirahara and Rina Sawayama?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #14,348 of 15,987
Will check them out. Great stuff. 👍🏻
Also enjoyed some of your earlier posts of Ayaka Hirahara and Rina Sawayama?
This singer is also really good, her singing is really on point. Very good sound recording too.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #14,349 of 15,987
I only listen to local files at the moment. I find a subtle difference in sound switching between the two. I do think battery life is slightly better with it off.
If High Streaming Mode On doesn't do anything at all for local music files, then how can this result in a lowered battery life for Sony Music Player app once high res streaming is turned on? A function that does nothing extra won't affect battery that's for sure. And having to restart the player to enable this function could mean that there's actually an alternative firmware sound engine at work.

So what else could be draining more of the battery? I am guessing it could be some form of Sony's 2 channel stereo to virtualized headphone surround processing from what I am hearing as there seems to be more spatial sounds once high res streaming is turned on. I also think that DSEE enhances upon this virtualized sound even more, at the cost of even more battery usage.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #14,350 of 15,987
Decide for yourself if you still think Sony uses the "worst" display screen for their Walkman. Do note that I am not implying that Cayin N7 screen is the worst. But certainly Sony is not the worst amongst all the DAP brands.
182006wllln7v4uuqsu0hq.png

182007bjz3hg136lfqj9fx.png
source:
https://post76.hk/thread-345969-1-1.html

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #14,351 of 15,987
Formatted and paragraphed translated subtitle text for
Hello everyone, it’s me again, Xiaose from Post76. I have previously photographed two DAPs in the comments on Youtube.

One is N7 and the other is Sony Black Brick II WM1AM2. I wanted to joke with you because I had two DAPs in my hands that day.

I have tried two DAPs back and forth and I think they are both funny and interesting.

I have used both DAPs for a while and I want to joke with everyone. If I get 300 likes, I will do a PK. Who knows?

I was so excited when I first saw it. After only 100, VW brother replied to me and mentioned that Xiaose had enough for 300. After a few days, he really had enough for 300.

So this time I will have a small PK with everyone. In fact, it is not a PK. It means that I am behind the two DAPs. I will share the different parts with you about the feelings of the two DAPs. Don’t say much.

Now I will start sharing with you my listening experience and after-use experience. Before I tell you about it, if you have not subscribed to our channel, please subscribe to our channel. Click Xiao Zhong, press all. We have many different reviews of home theater Hi-Fi, headphones, and gadgets. We can notify you immediately.

Also, if you are watching this video, please leave me a support message, like it, or even share it with your friends. Help us and the YouTube algorithm determine the length of a day.

Basically, these two DAPs have been used for a while. Black Brick has already bought the N7. In fact, I haven’t bought it yet, but the agent said that I want to make more of them and hope they can lend them to me.

They are very good for a long time. PSA will play it for a while longer than me, so I have basically played both DAPs. Apart from the obvious sense of hearing, in fact, in terms of operation and use, I think I can share them with everyone.

But this time the comparison It is definitely not a data-related evaluation. Don’t think that it will use some data to compare. This score is 89 points. This score is 99 points. How do you get the score? I am not doing this comparison. I am just talking about what I use it from the perspective of a user.

Let’s share the differences between the two DAPs. Let’s talk about the two DAPs first. Let’s talk about Black Brick first. I have always used Black Brick, so I am quite familiar with it.

This DAP is a Japanese brand. In terms of playback files, I think It is very good because it uses the Android system itself and you can install Android App to listen to some streaming platforms including Tidal and KKBox.

For me, actually because I have a subscription, it is Tidal and KKBox Moov. , JOOX, and Apple Music are all available, but Apple Music is more commonly used on Apple phones. I rarely use these Android phones, so this time I will use Tidal to share with you or KKBox.

In terms of price, the official price of Sony’s Black Brick is $11,990. But I see that there is usually a discount on the starting price, which is about $9,990. In fact, for DAPs under 10,000 yuan, I think it is a DAP worth playing.

The official price of this Cayin N7 is $14,999 because it just It was recently released, so the price is quite high. Of the two machines, the N7 has more features because it is a 1-bit DAC.

The other machines are all PCM DACs, so the one with the more fun in the middle must be the Cayin N7. Play "File" In fact, there are several different approaches between "streaming" and "streaming".

This time, I will first use the feeling of playing "files" to let everyone feel it. Now, why not let everyone listen to the performance of playing "files" on the two machines? I will use Denon D9200 headphones for both devices.

Of course, I have also used different in-ear headphones such as Sennheiser, Sony, Acoustune and even F-Audio. I have listened to many headphones, but with this method, at least it is easier for me to record. Let everyone hear it and use headphones to test it.

I think it is more effective in terms of power, control and analysis, so I use this method to share with you, but the sound performance and price are actually the same as what I am listening to now. Everyone is talking about the same thing.

Let’s talk about Sony’s Black Brick 2. In fact, I personally think that the sound orientation is more analytical and clear, and the calm three-band is average and not particularly special. When you look at the outstanding things, you can say that it has a bit of a digital feel, but the background is not completely black because pure black is at a higher level for BRIC II, so in this environment it is actually relatively black.

It doesn’t have as dark a background as a high-end machine, but in terms of sound quality, it’s actually relatively balanced. When you listen to all the songs, you’ll feel that they have a bland taste, as if they don’t have any character or anything special. There is some elasticity in the low frequency, but it’s not very deep. This is actually the sound direction of some of Sony's listening methods.

When you listen to Cayin N7, it will be more exciting because it is in the middle of low frequency and mid frequency. It is obviously pushed very smoothly, so you will listen For vocals, even bass guitar, and drum sounds, you will feel that the output of the 9200 is relatively comfortable and thick, but in exchange for some careful positioning, it will not be as clear as the Black Brick II.

I think it will be obvious when listening to File. It is easy to hear the difference between the two. Especially when listening to some more rock songs and more exciting music, fast songs, the difference between the two will be more obvious.

In addition, Before the streaming platform shared it with you, why not listen to two songs with you now? After listening to this song, in fact, between the two, when listening to the streaming platform, Cayin’s N7 is obviously better in terms of completeness of sound. I think it is better. What's better is that their engineers also use a method to bypass SRC for decoding and analysis of some streaming music on Android.

It means that even if you listen to the streaming platform, you can listen to your own File. Basically, if you listen to the same The consistency of the song is very high. Only with the loud sound of these big headphones, you have the opportunity to hear the small differences between the streamed version and your own File version. So if you listen to the streamed version here, Generally speaking, if you are a friend who pursues ultra-perfection, Cayin N7 may be more suitable for you.

What about Sony's Black Brick 2? It is not bad. In fact, it can present a Hi-Res feeling, but It will have another feeling, that is, the direction of the sound will be towards high-definition color separation and mid-frequency as the main low-frequency. It will be relatively low-key and darker.

The feeling of Hi-Res will be heavier because if you want to play string. In fact, the streaming platform must press the Hi-Res streaming upscaling function in the background, so here you will hear that it has an upscaling feeling, so in some locations, the song may have a lower bitrate or poor quality. It will be easy to hear the flaws because it is amplified digitally.

I think if you really want to perfectly present the sound that the streaming platform gives you, to be honest, the N7 will be better. The Black Brick 2 does not have A/ In comparison with B, I think you don’t think it has too many problems, and it can retain its monitor-level sound. When it comes to streaming platforms, Android must be used. For Android systems, Sony The stability of Sony's Black Brick 2 and Cayin N7 is actually significantly higher.

In comparison, you will think it is normal because there is no comparison. But if it is Cayin N7, sometimes we Sometimes when you listen to music, there will be some rustling noise, but this does not happen often. That is, you may have left the phone idle for several days and then suddenly take it out to listen to it. Maybe when playing songs, there will suddenly be some noise.

In this case, there may be some interference. You only need to restart the unit and then restart it. It can be solved. I think Cayin engineers are working hard because I After I got this machine, it has actually been updated with firmware more than four times, and there are many bugs that are slowly being improved, so I believe this problem will be solved soon, and other unstable situations before.

All have been solved, but at this moment, if the stability of the two machines is relatively high, I think the stability of Sony's Black Brick II will be relatively higher. When it comes to OS, you are actually playing songs.

At that time, the heat of the black brick was very low and you wouldn't even think it was heating. However, the Cayin N7 is almost obviously heating because it has Class A and Class A/B gameplay, and I like to use it very much.

The Class A method is used for playback, because I think Class A can fully express the processing power or timbre performance of the entire N7 machine, because I almost like some warm sound effects, but when you use Class A mode to play In fact, you only need to play N7 for about an hour.

In fact, it is already in your pants pocket. Even if it is a heating bomb, it must have a very obvious heat. I also saw many friends on the Internet directly asking whether they are also N7 brothers.

Do you have the same problem? I can tell you that it is normal. When using this machine, it feels warm, as if you are wearing a tube amp in your pants. But I think it is actually quite healing. The power of the two machines is very good.

I personally think that the Cayin N7 is better. Even if you don’t shut down the phone and turn off the screen, it can be left for a week. In fact, its power can still be maintained at maybe 60%-70%. However, I haven’t turned it on for a week.

Once I turn it on, I don’t need to restart it. As long as you press and hold the screen to turn on the phone, the battery is actually still alive. However, it is more difficult for Sony. If you don't turn off the phone and have not adjusted it to automatically shut down by itself, basically if you turn it on again after a week, it will actually not turn on. You can turn it on again.

I think the Cayin N7 did better when it was out of power. It should be more careful in terms of OS processing power and Idle Time processing. So in this case, if you don’t always remember to charge the N7, I believe It will be easier to use and faster, allowing you to listen to music.

Next, let’s talk about playability. In terms of playability, Sony Black Brick 2 and Cayin N7 have a lot to offer in terms of functionality. Black Brick 2 actually has a lot. There is a DSD mode, a vinyl mode, and EQ playback.

They seem to be different things, but in this case you will actually feel that it is adjusting some functions on the processing chip to make it have more EQ or on the loop. Make some things, but there is an invincible way to play on the N7, which is Class A and Class AB. Although we are not saying that it is really a Class A amplifier or a Class AB amplifier, it can do both in a transistor.

There are two functions, and the difference can be clearly heard in these two functions. It can give you a choice. You can choose the taste in the middle. Once you get used to the difference, you can choose one to play.

I think the N7 is a fever. From a perspective, it is obviously more fun. Of course, in terms of Sony's functions, such as DSD simulation or vinyl simulation or some Filters, I think they can all be used as a way to play, but the most playable one actually I think is DSD vinyl. In fact, I don’t think the gameplay has the obvious smell of vinyl. There are many different options in vinyl.

You have to choose one by one, but in the end you will feel that in fact, you may not use this function more, and it is not really a lot of functions. Or it’s very important. After using it, the feeling of the whole machine will be very different. I think this one has less DSD and the other one is better.

But there is a problem with DSD. When you play the PCM file or streaming situation, if you open this song, it will not work. If the sound is good, you will actually aggravate the effect of poor sound. Instead, I just use Direct output in the end.

To be honest, I think Sony's Direct output is basically fully usable and it is a very reassuring reference. Especially since I listen to omnivorous songs, they are all fun enough for Black Brick 2. Of course, if you say I want to have a fever, I will perfectly present it to a fever speaker and the details are in the DAP. Cayin I think N7 can make you very satisfied mentally.

This time, I tried out these two machines with you during this period and gave you a little demonstration. In fact, I really want to play a longer video. But to be honest, YouTube is amazing. As long as it lasts from three to four seconds or even five seconds, if you want to extend it a little longer, it will immediately block you. If we want to have a yellow label or not give profit, in fact, The algorithm of the video is a bit poor, so we can only cut it into pieces or show each song for everyone to listen to.

But I hope that I can use this method to let everyone feel the difference, but I still remind everyone of this. To be honest, a human head microphone cannot express 50% of the sound of the system DAP and headphones.

As you can see, my human head microphone basically has a lot of DIY and a lot of adjustments because of the ear canal of the microphone itself. It’s too short and its microphone is already next to the ear. You can imagine that the receiving position of our human ears is actually at the back and there is a very long ear canal on the ear canal. It cannot achieve this effect at all, even if we find some objects.

Use some tools to lengthen it. In fact, it can only be simulated. So I hope everyone will forgive me for not being able to faithfully show the sound effect to everyone. So I am actually saying that if I really want to try these two machines after listening to it.

After I said that, you have a feeling that I really want to try these two machines. Just go to the shops on the street, such as DMA Let's Go MasterPro in Mongkok, Yixuan or even Jinsheng. You can find these machines to listen to them because now this Both machines are basically Hit. If you want to listen, I believe it is not difficult to find your headphones.

Go to both machines, try it and insert the card and it will be done. I recommend that everyone do this. Don’t listen to me immediately. After I said that I would buy it, I immediately said that it would be better not to be like this when I was older, so I hope to give you some reference. Let everyone know what the characteristics of this phone are like and what the characteristics of that phone are. Of course, the prices of the two phones are. In addition, I think that when buying a machine, apart from listening to the sound quality, there are also some brand orientations. Some friends say that I like foreign brands, so Sony would be one of the choices.

Some people say that I think domestic brands are more cost-effective and high-quality. If it is better and stronger, I will choose the domestic brand. I think that everyone is free and free to choose. Today I found a good number with you. Today I shared the Cayin N7 and Sony Black Brick. I have shared my thoughts on the second generation WM1A M2 with you.

If you think these videos are good to watch or want to continue listening to me... If you are not happy with them, just leave a message and give me more likes. Give me more support and I will continue filming next time. Let me show you today's video. If you like this video, please give it a like. Subscribe to my channel and press the little bell next to it. We will notify you when we have good stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #14,353 of 15,987
I wonder where Sony goes from here. Will Z1R's get M2's? We'd be probably 4 years away from WM1-M3's, but what would they cost? Will I fullfil my dream of carrying around a DMP-Z1M2? Has the Signature series peaked? PlayStation not looking good. I'm guessing their next best player will be the ZX-909 in a few years 🤔

Stereo is dead. Long live stereo! ❤️

(I forgot Walkman's 50th is coming in 4 years? Could be big but cost $12,000 - more regions capped)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #14,354 of 15,987
Just to share this incredibly good(vocal control, emotional delivery and range) singer I discovered recently:

It would be so good if YouTube would not butcher the quality. Even with 1080p Premium there is no improvement. It is so sad that YouTube has absolutely 0 focus on audio quality

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #14,355 of 15,987
I wonder where Sony goes from here. Will Z1R's get M2's? We'd be probably 4 years away from WM1-M3's, but what would they cost? Will I fullfil my dream of carrying around a DMP-Z1M2? Has the Signature series peaked? PlayStation not looking good. I'm guessing their next best player will be the ZX-909 in a few years 🤔

Stereo is dead. Long live stereo! ❤️
Sony is still actively training it's AI to improve audio quality:
https://ai.sony/publications/VRDMG:...on-Posterior-Sampling-with-Multiple-Guidance/

They have examples here, they are able to correct clipped dynamics and other issues with audio using AI and this was in 2023:
https://carlosholivan.github.io/demos/audio-restoration-2023.html

The key here is how much the Audio Engineers at Sony is able to incorporate the new AI developments to improve the sound quality of the Walkman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back