SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 4, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #8,251 of 15,612
I am using 1AM2 6-7 hours daily, thanks to its efficiency, for each daily usage it only drains ~25-30% battery percentage. Assume that I keep using the walkman for 365 days, it just has ~121 battery charge cycles so the battery maybe needs to be replaced after 4-5 years, 3 times longer than other DAPs on market. What a robust device for long-time usage :beyersmile:

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #8,252 of 15,612
Double amplifications still exists, but to a lesser degree. However, there is a more optimal way to utilize Walkman phones out as a dedicated line out :)
Which is...?

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #8,253 of 15,612
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #8,254 of 15,612
There are few stereo amps that has line input like audiolab, roksan, musical fidelity. I got the audiolab 6000A which has it too, but too lazy to try it as it was connected to my avr for its front speakers, has been thinking of getting audioquest rca Y splitter. The beauty of it is it can bypass stereo amp volume control, means volume is control by the dap, though one thing im not sure is the voltage requirements which many sound too soft or too loud from the source.

Actually, I was quite impressed by the built-in bluetooth output of Audiolab 6000A, that I separately bought a ifi zen blue v2 for the LDAC mode, then using QED toslink to audiolab. But i still think line input will still be superior. Uh, my main worries of line input are i fear anything that has active power will kaput the walkman, hehe.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #8,255 of 15,612
There are few stereo amps that has line input like audiolab, roksan, musical fidelity. I got the audiolab 6000A which has it too, but too lazy to try it as it was connected to my avr for its front speakers, has been thinking of getting audioquest rca Y splitter. The beauty of it is it can bypass stereo amp volume control, means volume is control by the dap, though one thing im not sure is the voltage requirements which many sound too soft or too loud from the source.

Actually, I was quite impressed by the built-in bluetooth output of Audiolab 6000A, that I separately bought a ifi zen blue v2 for the LDAC mode, then using QED toslink to audiolab. But i still think line input will still be superior. Uh, my main worries of line input are i fear anything that has active power will kaput the walkman, hehe.
Ok, transformers line input is different than (Line input on an amplifier). All amplifier have to have Line input , because it needs a signals to amplify. These line in put can be either a solid state or transformers. Most of the amplifiers on the market are all solid state Line input. When an amplifier have transformer line input, it will explicitly states and disclosed so. Cayin for example, the HA-300
https://en.cayin.cn/features/7/59/574.html

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #8,256 of 15,612
o, these stereo amps line input are little different from the normal rca input, think they re-circuit the (special) line input extra set of rca. It's like working as a power amp bypassing the pre-amp.

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #8,257 of 15,612
o, these stereo amps line input are little different from the normal rca input, think they re-circuit the (special) line input extra set of rca. It's like working as a power amp bypassing the pre-amp.
I don’t know those specific devices. But there are very few Line input with transformers amplifiers and most of them are High-end, demanding high prices ! Or one can just buy the balances box as linked above to take advantage of Walkman as an Analog Line source. This way you can avoid current double amplification and only using Line voltage as any dedicated Line out would be

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #8,258 of 15,612
I am using 1AM2 6-7 hours daily, thanks to its efficiency, for each daily usage it only drains ~25-30% battery percentage. Assume that I keep using the walkman for 365 days, it just has ~121 battery charge cycles so the battery maybe needs to be replaced after 4-5 years, 3 times longer than other DAPs on market. What a robust device for long-time usage :beyersmile:
I have recently purchased a 1AM2 myself and am curious what your settings are as well have you uninstalled or disabled quite a few things in android to allow for such longevity. Also is your music library primarily FLAC or DSD as well. Thanks in advance for any info.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #8,259 of 15,612
There's an AM2/ZM2 optimisation thread here somewhere. I pretty much followed that and disabled everything I don't need to play music apart from the clock.

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #8,260 of 15,612
Thanks, yes I have found that thread and currently have disabled but not uninstalled with ADB apps in Android and lowered display brightness etc. Battery life is better but not near that much better. I am doing some streaming and probably leaving display on too long so I realize that accounts for quite a bit. Frankly I think I was spoiled from the older Sony 1A and ZX300 amazing battery life.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #8,262 of 15,612
Has anyone here done a detailed comparison of the wm1z m2 vs the wm1z? I don’t really need streaming so trying to get a better sense of what makes the new unit worth the premium
Some posts about Z having a little more clarity, which makes sense due to material emitting less noise and having better isolation. How big of a difference… there’s more memory for storage and leather case too, and some would definitely prefer the looks of the Z. Other than that I can’t give you much more. I even listen to the full interview in Japanese with subtitles to see where they smiled and if I could interpret if it was more sales/marketing or real differences when they talk about the two. It’s an interview when it was launched.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #8,264 of 15,612
Some posts about Z having a little more clarity, which makes sense due to material emitting less noise and having better isolation. How big of a difference… there’s more memory for storage and leather case too, and some would definitely prefer the looks of the Z. Other than that I can’t give you much more. I even listen to the full interview in Japanese with subtitles to see where they smiled and if I could interpret if it was more sales/marketing or real differences when they talk about the two. It’s an interview when it was launched.
Not only materials wise, the amplifications and S-master circuits have also been revamped, which at a rough visual inspection, do tell that the M2 has a more aggressive approach to it feedbacks and sampling networks in comparison to the M1. Then the power supplies all around as well

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #8,265 of 15,612
I have recently purchased a 1AM2 myself and am curious what your settings are as well have you uninstalled or disabled quite a few things in android to allow for such longevity. Also is your music library primarily FLAC or DSD as well. Thanks in advance for any info.
I just disable some default non-music applications like chrome, calender, clock, etc. I always enable airplane mode when playing offline music, and do not turn the screen on all during my usage (just use hardware buttons to control the device). Other information is I usually use low gain 50-60 volume to an external amp, DSEE enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back