Spacenaut Time
20221203_164538_(1)_(1)_(1).jpg

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #8,208 of 15,612
Sony! Yes !! Very much Sony. Tastefully modified

Internal pure gold 1ZM2
Internal pure gold Z1R and Oyaide silver rhodium sockets
Retuned dynamic dampener Z1R
Dekoni Hybrid pads Z1R

Has your 1Z balanced connector reached it's the magic 200hours ageing mark?

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #8,210 of 15,612
Ok so a good memory card can impact sound, as reading speed, noice and more can impact sound. From digging through some measurements and not even knowing there was some memory cards as expensive as this. Sony have some too… I wonder if all the small things in the Z vs A has less noise and that’s what people describe as clearer and more open, in some songs that would sound very good and in others not as good. Like a dark vs light IEM… it’s not so much the gold or cable makes the sound better as it’s less interference and clearer signal, which all combined does some minor improvements to the overall sound.

I am trying to justify the extra $2000 and not be able to afford the IEM’s to go with it… as I suspect I should get some Sony’s to go with it to max out the benefits. I just can’t see myself go $5000… for both. So I was considering the lower priced Walkman and some IEM’s or just the high end Walkman… but then just use what I have which are U12T’s and some Sure 846 etc.

Help! Lol.
I think the 1AM2 will serve you well enough. It’s not always necessary to go for the top tier models unless you are really going for its specific sound characteristics. After all, there’s plenty of DSP adjustments you can make in the 1AM2 to make the sound to synergize to your iem/headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #8,211 of 15,612
I started listening to 1AM2 using the VR1. I was not having a high hope as VR1 is quite source-sensitive. I plugged it into Sony, pressed played, and enable DSD-remaster. Time passed and the mofd I listened, the larger the smile on my face became.

I want to say with confidence with VR1, 1AM2 is besting my P6 pro which cost 2-3 times it!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #8,212 of 15,612
I started listening to 1AM2 using the VR1. I was not having a high hope as VR1 is quite source-sensitive. I plugged it into Sony, pressed played, and enable DSD-remaster. Time passed and the most I listened, the larger the smile on my face became.

I want to say with confidence with VR1, 1AM2 is besting my P6 pro which cost 2-3 times it!
LP P6Pro is R2R right ? I don’t search much about L&P, only casually here and there. But I am glad that you have confirmed what I found previously, even if you love R2R and NOS topology, Walkman will have it done even better. I know it since I already heard what all S-Master could have performed, including modified one, desktop version to Walkman, to other desktop R2R such as HoloSpring, AudioGD, even modified one :wink:….and I wondered why there are whole in my pockets!!

Technically speaking, R2R and NOS requires an in house developed algorithms and DSP. If you simply get them off the shelves, you can only rely on the brand of the chips that provided the IC to you. When speaking about Algorithms and DSP that is dedicated to Signal processing, I can’t think of anyone who is more dedicated and can be better than Sony. It is mind boggling, but a fact.

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #8,213 of 15,612
LP P6Pro is R2R right ? I don’t search much about L&P, only casually here and there. But I am glad that you have confirmed what I found previously, even if you love R2R and NOS topology, Walkman will have it done even better. I know it since I already heard what all S-Master could have performed, including modified one, desktop version to Walkman, to other desktop R2R such as HoloSpring, AudioGD, even modified one :wink:….and I wondered why there are whole in my pockets!!

Technically speaking, R2R and NOS requires an in house developed algorithms and DSP. If you simply get them off the shelves, you can only rely on the brand of the chips that provided the IC to you. When speaking about Algorithms and DSP that is dedicated to Signal processing, I can’t think of anyone who is more dedicated and can be better than Sony. It is mind boggling, but a fact.
Yes, it is R2R, resistor ladder DAP. I also wanted to give credit to VR1 capability. While I enjoyed DSD remastering with other IEMs, it was only with VR1 that I notice the distinct difference between the DSEE vs DSD resampling.

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #8,214 of 15,612
Yes, it is R2R, resistor ladder DAP. I also wanted to give credit to VR1 capability. While I enjoyed DSD remastering with other IEMs, it was only with VR1 that I notice the distinct difference between the DSEE vs DSD resampling.
Agreed, the more capable your gears are, the better it can reveal the differences. In this hobby, it isn’t about being ”golden ears”, you just need “experiences” and know what to look for, together with a very capable cans/buds, and perhaps a good cables and most importantly, a well recorded track or albums :p. I am glad to hear VR1 doing well with Walkman

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #8,215 of 15,612
Agreed, the more capable your gears are, the better it can reveal the differences. In this hobby, it isn’t about being ”golden ears”, you just need “experiences” and know what to look for, together with a very capable cans/buds, and perhaps a good cables and most importantly, a well recorded track or albums :p. I am glad to hear VR1 doing well with Walkman
Unfortunately these “experiences” usually don’t come free unless you are lucky enough to be living close to a well stocked audio store that allows you to demo gears freely at your own leisure.

I feel with the Sony Walkman, you are mostly assured that it has been well engineered from both the hardware and software digital signal processing side of things.

You don’t have to pay really a lot more extra to get features like DSEE Ultimate, DSD-Remastering and 360 Reality Audio Spatial Sound Processing.

I feel the most underrated feature for the Sony Walkman is its volume control implementation. The volume increase and decreases really scales with perfect like precision in terms of loudness linearity and also in its tonal balance and detail retrieval at lower volumes. Only a few other audio manufacturers can achieve such excellent linearity and yes they do cost a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #8,216 of 15,612
When speaking about Algorithms and DSP that is dedicated to Signal processing, I can’t think of anyone who is more dedicated and can be better than Sony. It is mind boggling, but a fact.
Well I have another friend of mine who is very anti-DSP/sound coloration. He believes that the sound must be pure/bit perfect direct from the music source. And guess what? He uses an Astell & Kern DAP. I just don’t agree with his point of view as I believe that any digital audio file is already a digitally processed sound(quantized) at the point when sound/voltages coming from the microphones enters the ADC chip.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #8,217 of 15,612
My essential during daily working:beerchug:

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpg
    IMG_2044.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #8,219 of 15,612
Why use the headband cover ? M curious
I have a shaved head and my skin is partly oily, so I just do not want to clean the headband often

Users who are viewing this thread

Back