SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 1, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #4,726 of 15,591
Is there a US version? I was looking to buy a US version, but could not find any information.
US & Canadian version not available or released yet , Sony distributor Bay Bloor Radio In Toronto Said may be August or later In Canada , USA may be the same time line , I Bought One From Asia , there is a world wide shortage of
the New Walkman's NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #4,727 of 15,591
US & Canadian version not available or released yet , Sony distributor Bay Bloor Radio In Toronto Said may be August or later In Canada , USA may be the same time line , I Bought One From Asia ,
Thank you for sharing this information. Any reasons to wait for a North American version rather than buying now from Japan, other than first-hand support? Is the user interface of a Japanese version 100% translated to English?

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #4,728 of 15,591
Thank you for sharing this information. Any reasons to wait for a North American version rather than buying now from Japan, other than first-hand support? Is the user interface of a Japanese version 100% translated to English?
You can change the language to English during setting up of DAP.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #4,729 of 15,591
100% interface translated to English , Will install Japan Firmware when updated , no real reason to buy from Japan but one may save a few 100 dollars maybe , but I must say a few new units in japan have had issues in quality and needed repair according to Japan social media , the main BIG reason to wait for North American Version is Warranty , I Wanted One And Could Not Wait , Quote "You can change the language to English during setting up of DAP" its 100 % English interface the same in all Walkman's

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #4,730 of 15,591
100% interface translated to English , Will install Japan Firmware when updated , no real reason to buy from Japan but one may save a few 100 dollars maybe , but I must say a few new units in japan have had issues in quality and needed repair according to Japan social media , the main BIG reason to wait for North American Version is Warranty , I Wanted One And Could Not Wait , Quote "You can change the language to English during setting up of DAP" its 100 % English interface the same in all Walkman's
New walkman are made in China, and previously, someone also had issues as well on 1zm2. Therefore, I don’t doubt the QC issues

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #4,732 of 15,591
US & Canadian version not available or released yet , Sony distributor Bay Bloor Radio In Toronto Said may be August or later In Canada , USA may be the same time line , I Bought One From Asia , there is a world wide shortage of
the New Walkman's NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Zenmarket rakuten store has some in stock. I just ordered one in canada.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #4,735 of 15,591
Does NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2 have digital out?
No, unfortunately there’s no digital out function. I’ve just tried connecting my L&P W2 and the 1ZM2 will power the dongle, but it won’t output any sound/music. There’s no option to turn on digital out via usb either.

Edit - got it to work. It does indeed work as a digital output.

56C1D64D-E5BC-4B73-B202-C0DBE9115BC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #4,736 of 15,591
No, unfortunately there’s no digital out function. I’ve just tried connecting my L&P W2 and the 1ZM2 will power the dongle, but it won’t output any sound/music. There’s no option to turn on digital out via usb either.
IIRC Sony only added USB DAC functionality with V2 of the OG WM1Z firmware. Hopefully they'll do the same here, otherwise that's a real bummer. Hopefully they'll add BT receiver mode too, because that's a really useful feature.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #4,738 of 15,591
Can't say for sure but it doesn't look like there's any SRC bypass happening. Bitperfect only seems possible with the Sony Music player. Sony would have to build their own SRC bypass tech for Android, and I don't believe they have. That said, as long as a music player app has its own driver, it could potentially bypass SRC on the M2 players. UAPP is a good example.
In simple layman’s terms (for me hehe!), would I be able to StreamTidal MQA songs and get the best quality sound from the 1ZM2 ?

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #4,739 of 15,591
In simple layman’s terms (for me hehe!), would I be able to StreamTidal MQA songs and get the best quality sound from the 1ZM2 ?
Again IIRC, the M2 only supports Tidal MQA for locally-stored MQA files as opposed to Tidal streaming. That's to say the Tidal app will always do the first unfold, but I don't think you're getting hardware unfold beyond that. I could be wrong, I'm sure @Damz87 can verify.
M2 does have USB DAC function just to be clear.
Sorry, my bad, confused the two. I wonder if you hook it up to the Taz's Walkman input via USB-C/Micro USB, if you can then play through the Taz. Likewise USB-C to USB-B. If not, that's a problem.

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #4,740 of 15,591
Sorry, my bad, confused the two. I wonder if you hook it up to the Taz's Walkman input via USB-C/Micro USB, if you can then play through the Taz. Likewise USB-C to USB-B. If not, that's a problem.
Wait I just got it to work :) @lycos

Outputting DSD to the W2 and it’s playing
3E98FB4D-3DA2-43E8-946F-DC8B1B8ADCB5.jpeg

Also works with Apple Music & Tidal MQA :D
9B215A3B-F560-4E8B-910B-EF726CF3E9EE.jpeg

88E9E08E-1762-4913-AAEF-33E44C31CCEF.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back