SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #3,211 of 15,614
You could be, if you don't know that better exists.

Same as above, but I could personally live with 256 kbps AAC if for some reason nothing else would be available anymore.

I'm not personally into this, so I can't comment. I just use a microSD card to have more available storage.

Well, of course that a smartphone cannot play at the same quality as the $3700 Walkman player.

If "better" can be achieved, then why not?

If you can get better sound quality by using a certain microSD card (aka if you can perceive differences, etc.), then it could be something to use one. Otherwise, if 256 GB is enough for your music, then there's no point, right?

What I'm asking is the noise, or whatever it is, should be at its best (lowest) just using internal storage with no mSD. My small HD music collection and streaming storage should actually fit in 200GB even though I do have a 512GB EVO mSD.

The UK sourced Z may be coming now as it seems to have been an "anti-fraud" payment delay that initially cancelled the order. If it doesn't mysteriously get cancelled again its meant to be coming Thu-Sat so I can hopefully give feedback about any EU/UK volume cap and missing high gain. No promises :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #3,212 of 15,614
The UK sourced Z may be coming now as it seems to have been a anti-fraud payment delay that initially cancelled the order. If it doesn't mysteriously get cancelled again its meant to be coming Thu-Sat so I can hopefully give feedback about any EU/UK volume cap and missing high gain. No promises :rolling_eyes:
Quoting myself, its looking much more promising! Just had an email

1651077200505.png

Looks like Hiby R5Gen2 will be out for delivery tomorrow too! Only 5 days from China and through customs. Not had any payment notice for any extra duties/fees yet

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #3,214 of 15,614
I wonder how you will think about this much anticipation and then it came with EU volume cap

I'm doing it for this thread :relaxed: Will likely be going back anyway and don't need to get CC refund until 18th June so not tying up money. Will be bloody amazed if it doesn't have the volume cap.

I'm still planning to get a A1M2 when Amazon Japan back in stock.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,215 of 15,614
I mostly use my Sony WM1Z docked and connected to TA-ZH1ES. Since the new one is using android, is there a remote which enable me to pick and choose the song so I don't need to do it through the player?

Apr 27, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #3,216 of 15,614
I mostly use my Sony WM1Z docked and connected to TA-ZH1ES. Since the new one is using android, is there a remote which enable me to pick and choose the song so I don't need to do it through the player?
RMT-NWS20 is said to work. I have one and think out of production but can get one one ebay. Its a great little remote. I can even use it with my S10+ phone.

bed8f6872167f6137ab906bf50d05737.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,217 of 15,614
Going to get M2 soon ?
Unlikely, the OG 1Z is so good as-is. But it's nice to know there's an upgrade path should I want one in a few years' time.
RMT-NWS20 is said to work. I have one and think out of production but can get one one ebay. Its a great little remote. I can even use it with my S10+ phone.

bed8f6872167f6137ab906bf50d05737.jpeg.jpg
Doesn't the TA-Z1HES remote allow you to skip forward/back/pause with Walkman file when the Walkman is connected?

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #3,218 of 15,614
Unlikely, the OG 1Z is so good as-is. But it's nice to know there's an upgrade path should I want one in a few years' time.

Doesn't the TA-Z1HES remote allow you to skip forward/back/pause with Walkman file when the Walkman is connected?
No, it only controls the TA-Z1HES.

I wish there was a remote that controlled the TA-Z1HES and WM1Z.

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,219 of 15,614
Received my pre-order early when the store staff told me that it will only arrive end of may/beginning June.
Set it up in my favourite combo and ready to go.
So far with the same setup using my zx2, the sound is very much improve in terms of wider soundstage and more clarity on the instruments without any loss tot he vocals.
This will be my music powerhouse for the next 6-7 years.
DSC_2008.JPG

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #3,220 of 15,614
Will you believe the words of the current Sony head engineer in charge of Sound Quality of the Walkman division, Mr Sato who has said that he can hear differences in microSD cards? Is he a liar?
Hiroaki Sato? I think he follows me on Twitter. I'll go ask him what brand of MicroSD card he would recommend then. It would be interesting to see what he says - if he responds back.

I personally don't buy all of this MicroSD card stuff, like just don't get some off-brand/knock-off card.

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,221 of 15,614
Hiroaki Sato? I think he follows me on Twitter. I'll go ask him what brand of MicroSD card he would recommend then. It would be interesting to see what he says - if he responds back.

I personally don't buy all of this MicroSD card stuff, like just don't get some off-brand/knock-off card.
I doubt he'd say anything else, or would contractually be able to say anything else than pointing to the fancy Sony one.

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3,222 of 15,614
Very true ! Don’t we all seek for it from new technologies and new products ? Cables ? Iems ? Phones ? Etc ?

I told myself every minutes that I should be content and satisfied. I would have saved a lot. I need to start meditation and quit this forum altogether 😂
before you quit this forum, have a look at this pdf:
https://dr.ntu.edu.sg/bitstream/10356/64272/1/CLASS-D AMPLIFIER POWER STAGE WITH PWM FEEDBACK LOOP.pdf

There’s quite a lot of information on audio amplifiers inside.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #3,224 of 15,614
Apr 27, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #3,225 of 15,614
Hiroaki Sato
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/dal/691795.html
BD28E3A6-0690-47B4-B762-E7E12EA6E94C.jpeg

Finally , I would like to ask you about the design of the Walkman. Perhaps the audio data is pre-read from the memory media, stored in the buffer, and then played back? If this buffer size is large, the microSD card's I don't think the behavior will be affected, but what about that?

Sato: Yes, we have a buffer, but it's a consumer device, so it's not that big. I have some margin so that the sound will not be interrupted, but there is still no capacity to read the entire song. Also, since the power does not turn off immediately after reading, I think that the influence of electromagnetic waves from here will inevitably come out.

0FC559B6-A8D5-47B6-B746-2EA76D922D7A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back