Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Jan 17, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #286 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beethovenian
OK, Andy, let's try:
If you just scroll the jog wheel, it will send you back to your current track list. You can from there go back one level up in the hierarchy, to the album/artist/group list (depending where you are), by pressing back in the jog button, as you can get into an album by pressing forward. If you press the jog wheel while in the current playing screen, it will send you to the top of you current mode (either album, artist, group, genre or others). If you press and hold the jog wheel, it will cycle through the modes. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information on how to use the remote, I just got mine today and thats a real help.

Just to add.... while a track is playing, you can add it to the bookmark list by pushing in and holding the 'play/pause/enter' button. I'm sure people know that, but just thought I'd say in case anyone had missed it!!

Jan 18, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #287 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalex
Firstly, I'll admit that I haven't really used any other music management software before, but what is it about SonicStage that is SO bad?

The biggest complaint seems to be that it's unintuitive. Sorry, but if people need anything more than a few minutes to figure out SonicStage, then there's something missing within the old grey matter.

Interesting comment. If it's stable, SonicStage is indeed not difficult to use. The problem is if you want to do advanced stuff, like moving your files around, or if it has any kind of conflict. Then it's a pain to solve the problem. But I also think it's better than the Creative software I know (though that was years old).

Lex101, on the HD1, using Shure's E3, I usually listen at half volume when commuting in New York. And I listen essentially to classical music, that has wide dynamic ranges and is not recorded at the high levels of pop.

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #288 of 860
The HD3 is now on www.sonystyle.com with all 5 colors
biggrin.gif

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...layers_Network

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #289 of 860
I've just a question again:

I'm not sure if I have high speed USB (USB 2.0). I think I havn't high speed USB.
It is possible to transfer files with the normal USB (USB 1.0) ???
I hope it is possible. The transfer speed may be low, but it isn't a big problem.

(I have a notebook st1500 from HP)

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #290 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schakal
I've just a question again:

I'm not sure if I have high speed USB (USB 2.0). I think I havn't high speed USB.
It is possible to transfer files with the normal USB (USB 1.0) ???
I hope it is possible. The transfer speed may be low, but it isn't a big problem.

(I have a notebook st1500 from HP)

Yes, it will work fine.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #292 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by azesty
the sony nw-hd3 looks like a very right-handed machine.

have any lefties tried it? how did you find it?

a

I know what you mean about it appearing right-handed.

The design is very similar to every digital camera (or ones I can think of), with its directional pad and a couple of buttons on top and a screen on the left hand side of the unit.

I own an HD3 and I am a 'lefty' - It is perfectly usuable left-handed.
Thinking about it though, I guess I probably use mine more right-handed than left, but its fine whichever you use.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #294 of 860
I finally decided to buy the black nw-hd3 on the strengths of the comments in this forum. I'm a poor student and so it was a tough decision between the more expensive ipod and the potentially hazardous sony. Anyways i didnt want to join the i-squad and i'd trust sony a million times over apple in terms of build quality. Most of the reviews for the nw-hd3 talk of the software being poor, however i should be able to figure it out. I never use an mp3 player without having read all the manuals so i dont care about it being intuitiver too much. Anyways, there is still an unresolved issue for me. Is the volume really poor? I mostly listen to the beatles and bob dylan, that kind of stuff. Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #295 of 860
I find the volume just fine - I've never had it on full volume yet. However, if you intend using it in a noisy environment (on the tube for instance) then bear in mind the volume doesn't go *really* loud. But rather than trying to drown out the background noise and making yourself deaf in the process, a decent pair of in-ear or noise-cancelling earphones should be all you need. If you're in the UK and in doubt, try Richer Sounds. They'll match Amazons price and you should be able to try them out instore or even buy them and return them if you're not happy with the volume.

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #296 of 860
Hi chaps!

Just joined the NW-HD3 brigade after purchasing one in the weekend (went for the black one) from Richer Sounds in the UK as they had them in stock (most places seem to have a 1-2 week wait on the Red and Black's at the moment, including various Sony stores I tried... ) and had an instore price of £219.95, same as Amazon. Course they tried to ring it up at £249.95 but after pointing out that their website says the instore price was cheaper they saw the error of their ways. Hmmm..

Anyway, worse thing about this player is the SonicStage software. It's not difficult to use, a monkey should be able to work it out, but it just doesn't work as it should. I had about 20 gigs worth of WMA's on my laptop ripped from my CD collection, and it's a right hassle to import these in to SonicStage's library. If you point SonicStage at the 'My Music' directory to try and import the loads of music folders in there, it pretty much seems to hang. I'm guessing it might well be working away, but the program is completely unresponsive, there is no progress gauge, and the window does not redraw when you move other program windows over it. It appears to have crashed. Importing a little bit at a time works better, but Sony have not utilised the ability to select multiple folders, so you're forced to import folders one at a time. Very very long winded way of doing it requiring far too many clicks and immediately resigns SonicStage to being dismal. They must have hordes of developers sitting round twiddling their thumbs at Sony, put 'em to work!
280smile.gif
Here's hoping Real update their plug-in support soon too.

Transfering to the unit using ATRAC is pretty slow going too, I had to leave it transferring over night and it still wasn't half finished in the morning. Of course I probably should redo everything in MP3 format but hey...

But overall seems a good player, not up to the sound quality of my E909 minidisc player (lacking low end) but fairly decent. The ability to use the E909's remote (RM-MC11EL) saved me a few pounds, and the volume is reasonable, I find that I turn it down when I get on public transport, and then find myself turning it down again a few moments later as it still seems overly loud. It's almost as if there isn't that much difference between half volume and full volume.

I do hope the volume limiting is in firmware though, and Sony relax this restriction sometime. Well, would be nice.

Right back to work.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #298 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasselhoffia
Hi chaps!

Just joined the NW-HD3 brigade after purchasing one in the weekend (went for the black one) from Richer Sounds in the UK as they had them in stock (most places seem to have a 1-2 week wait on the Red and Black's at the moment, including various Sony stores I tried... ) and had an instore price of £219.95, same as Amazon. Course they tried to ring it up at £249.95 but after pointing out that their website says the instore price was cheaper they saw the error of their ways. Hmmm..

Anyway, worse thing about this player is the SonicStage software. It's not difficult to use, a monkey should be able to work it out, but it just doesn't work as it should. I had about 20 gigs worth of WMA's on my laptop ripped from my CD collection, and it's a right hassle to import these in to SonicStage's library. If you point SonicStage at the 'My Music' directory to try and import the loads of music folders in there, it pretty much seems to hang. I'm guessing it might well be working away, but the program is completely unresponsive, there is no progress gauge, and the window does not redraw when you move other program windows over it. It appears to have crashed. Importing a little bit at a time works better, but Sony have not utilised the ability to select multiple folders, so you're forced to import folders one at a time. Very very long winded way of doing it requiring far too many clicks and immediately resigns SonicStage to being dismal. They must have hordes of developers sitting round twiddling their thumbs at Sony, put 'em to work!
280smile.gif
Here's hoping Real update their plug-in support soon too.

Transfering to the unit using ATRAC is pretty slow going too, I had to leave it transferring over night and it still wasn't half finished in the morning. Of course I probably should redo everything in MP3 format but hey...

But overall seems a good player, not up to the sound quality of my E909 minidisc player (lacking low end) but fairly decent. The ability to use the E909's remote (RM-MC11EL) saved me a few pounds, and the volume is reasonable, I find that I turn it down when I get on public transport, and then find myself turning it down again a few moments later as it still seems overly loud. It's almost as if there isn't that much difference between half volume and full volume.

I do hope the volume limiting is in firmware though, and Sony relax this restriction sometime. Well, would be nice.

Right back to work.

the bit where you say that SonicStage crashed, it hasn't crashed. SS likes to do things the way it may think that you won't notice it's doing (if you get me). it's working on importation in the background, and because it's trying to do it all at once it doesn't redraw itself until it's finished its work. SonicStage is just like that. it works a dream on my computer. well, if you thought the new version is cumbersome, you should have tried out the previous one!

in my opinion Sony's best piece of audio software is (or was) OpenMG Jukebox. it's the software that shipped with the previous generation Minidisc players, like MZ-N1. that just rocked! it used up like hardly any CPU power, yet had all the convenient features and editables while still being ultra-convenient.

maybe if we all start a petition Sony will bring it back!

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #299 of 860
Hi guys.

Got som questions about the HD3/upgraded HD1 that I hope you can help me with.

Does the HD3/HD1 sort files by the ID3-tags, like an iPOD, or only by the file structure in the player, for example like an iRiver 795 ? Or maybe both ways ?

Is there a way to charge the players by only using the socket in the wall ?

I am a big fan of the old Sony Minidiscs, still using an R90 today, works fine. In comparison, does the players play equally loud ?

hope someone can answer my questions...

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #300 of 860
killer,
It sorts them both ways. It uses the ID3 tags for sorting by artist, album, or genre. You can also search by group (the file structure in the player) which is usually the same as album, depending on how you put the files on sonicstage. Search by group is not very useful, since the HD3 displays groups by when they were put on the player, not alphabetical order.

Yup, the usb connection plug also can connect to a wall socket.

I've heard that the volume varies depending on your region, but i don't know if its true. I have a Japanese model. Supposedly the Euro version has less power. I have no problem with the volume, although it is slightly (very slightly) less than my Hi-MD and NetMD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back