Sony NW-HD1 and NW-HD5. One of the Best high capacity Head-Fi DAP's???
Jul 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
Well,

I came in the situation to pick up a brand new sony NW-HD1 and black NW-HD5 with the original 1-year warranty at a local store with a big discount.

I finally gave up and just bought them both. They also had some HD3's but I didn't like them very much.

Now the SQ is actually pretty damn good. These old sony babies have some stellar performance and they look soooo damn hot.

The best looking DAP's I've ever seen.

Has anybody else have experience with them? Especially the NW-HD5 has the best Line-out I've ever heard. Soooo clean...

rgds

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 36
HD5 is very good, HD1 sounds good also, but I don't like the form factor as much. The "upright" players fit the hand better and are more natural to control one-handed.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 36
hd5 is amazing, however i hate sonic stage and ran out of room so i am doing away with it (PLUG: for sale nwhd5
biggrin.gif
). Try to use mp3fm, and grab your music. Those two programs are good for the nwhd5 but i couldn't get them to work on my comp unfortunately.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd5 is amazing, however i hate sonic stage and ran out of room so i am doing away with it (PLUG: for sale nwhd5
biggrin.gif
). Try to use mp3fm, and grab your music. Those two programs are good for the nwhd5 but i couldn't get them to work on my comp unfortunately.

If you hate sonicstage have you tried using mp3 file manager? Sony eSupport - NW-E405 - Software Updates & Drivers
This allows you to transfer mp3s onto the hd-5 without using sonicstage. Also I find the newer versions of sonicstage actually work alright, I'm using version 4.3 and while not the greatest in the world it does allow you to sort by album on the player itself making it much easier to delete compilation albums from the player.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 36
i own the HD-5 20G....its major disadvantage is that the equalizer and the DSP effects can only be applied to atrac. sound files.For the mp3 format has digital "equalizer " where u can only change the highs and lows...Also the "broswer" is horrible and the only u can do is to select songs i own a cowon D2 and there is no comparison.for further information ,ask me...

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

If you hate sonicstage have you tried using mp3 file manager? Sony eSupport - NW-E405 - Software Updates & Drivers
This allows you to transfer mp3s onto the hd-5 without using sonicstage. Also I find the newer versions of sonicstage actually work alright, I'm using version 4.3 and while not the greatest in the world it does allow you to sort by album on the player itself making it much easier to delete compilation albums from the player.

if you read my post you'd see i said i've already tried to use it.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you read my post you'd see i said i've already tried to use it.

Oops sorry didn't see you mentioned mp3fm.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 36
I have the 30GB HD5H, it's a great player. I'm not a big fan of sonicstage but once you've transfered your music you can forget about it. I use Atrac3plus or whatever the last incarnation of it was so I can get gapless playback. The battery life is excellent too. When the time comes to replace it I'll probably go iPod because I'm a mac user and demand gapless. You're right about the line out though, very clean. Enjoy your HD5!

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotiris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy some other player!i doesnt worth comparing to new ones

What a crock of B.S.

The HD5 is one of the best sounding DAP's ever made. I own several of them (many of them backups in case my main unit dies/crashes) and I have never heard anything else like it, maybe except for my slew of MZ-RH1 Hi-MD units. With its 40-hour battery life (at ATRAC3plus 48k, I myself use 64k) and durability factor it stands tall against even today's units, and it can to, be also upgraded to about 40GB if you want (link right here How to Upgrade HD5 to 40GB! - ATRACLife Colloquium), and while that capacity may not compare (to some people) to some of today's players, as we say in the MiniDisc Community Forums (Minidisc Community Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)) and ATRAC Life Colloquium (ATRACLife Colloquium (Powered by Invision Power Board)), it's not about capacity, it's about sound, and that IMO is what most Head-Fi members care about most.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 36
HD5 does gapless, just only with ATRAC3+ encoded tracks.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a crock of B.S.

The HD5 is one of the best sounding DAP's ever made. I own several of them (many of them backups in case my main unit dies/crashes) and I have never heard anything else like it, maybe except for my slew of MZ-RH1 Hi-MD units. With its 40-hour battery life (at ATRAC3plus 48k, I myself use 64k) and durability factor it stands tall against even today's units, and it can to, be also upgraded to about 40GB if you want (link right here How to Upgrade HD5 to 40GB! - ATRACLife Colloquium), and while that capacity may not compare (to some people) to some of today's players, as we say in the MiniDisc Community Forums (Minidisc Community Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)) and ATRAC Life Colloquium (ATRACLife Colloquium (Powered by Invision Power Board)), it's not about capacity, it's about sound, and that IMO is what most Head-Fi members care about most.

Sorry but your statement makes perfect sense except.... You use the best sounding to listen to 64kbps music? Negates any difference in sound IMO.

Get some 256kbps ATRAC on there
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 36
you listen to atrac3plus64k and u talk about quality?come on be serious!and u have HD5 for back up?and why u dont back up your songs to a hard drive? strange things i read tonight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back