Sony MZ-RH910 or Rio Karma?
May 20, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Ok, the more I think about and with the input I've received the Karma is looking like the way to go. I do have a question though, typically on my computer I have things organized by Artist then within that folder more folders of albums. At work when I'm listening I tend to listen to a whole album so my preference would be for a folder type view as opposed to id3 tags. I've browsed the manual for the Karma and my question is when you browse by say Artist does it just bring up a list of the songs or can I see the folders or albums?

I'm pretty sure you have to browse by id3 tags (the only ones I know of that don't are the irivers and the iaudio). However, as long as you have the album tagged, you will have no problem listening to albums. I mostly listen to albums and have never been inconvenienced by the method. You just go Play music -> albums -> viola. If you don't have the albums tagged, it might be possible to retroactively tag them with a program, but I'm not sure.

May 20, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I'm pretty sure you have to browse by id3 tags (the only ones I know of that don't are the irivers and the iaudio). However, as long as you have the album tagged, you will have no problem listening to albums. I mostly listen to albums and have never been inconvenienced by the method. You just go Play music -> albums -> viola. If you don't have the albums tagged, it might be possible to retroactively tag them with a program, but I'm not sure.

Ok, so when I do it that way, Play music -> albums does it just list the albums alphabetically or does it list them by artist? The reason I ask is alot of times I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for so I'll just look through the main folder at the artists names, pick one, open the folder, then open a folder with the album in it, select all the songs and queue them into foobar. So basically I would like to be able to do something similar, browse through artists then pick a particular album by that artist. Is something like this possible?

May 20, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Ok, so when I do it that way, Play music -> albums does it just list the albums alphabetically or does it list them by artist? The reason I ask is alot of times I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for so I'll just look through the main folder at the artists names, pick one, open the folder, then open a folder with the album in it, select all the songs and queue them into foobar. So basically I would like to be able to do something similar, browse through artists then pick a particular album by that artist. Is something like this possible?

When you select Play music -> albums, it lists all albums in alphabetical order. However, to do it the way you want, you would select Play music -> artists, select the artist you want, and it lists each album by that artist (in addition to the option of 'play all songs by artist'). There you would select the album. That would be the same as you do in foobar.

May 20, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #19 of 26
Sweet, thanks for the information. Now all I need is for you to get your e4's and do a comparison with the UE's.
rs1smile.gif

Actually I have another question, has anyone bought a refurbished unit? Any problems?

May 20, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 26
I organize mp3 files on my computer by folder, using the "Artist->Album->xx-Songname" hierarchy. The preceding xx is a two-digit number (1 thru 9 have leading zeros) to reflect the order in which the song is listed on the CD:

Ex.
"01- The First Song.mp3"
"02-The Next Song.mp3"
"03-And the Next Song.mp3"

My ripping software just creates generic filenames, so I must edit these filenames manually (using plain old Windows Explorer) after I rip them from the original CD.

Then I use "Tag & Rename" software to insert all the proper id3 tags I want. The "Title" id3 tags is pulled from the filename automatically.

Now when I copy & play these songs on any portable player that uses id3 tags, I can effectively get the organization that you describe. An album plays like an album, in the 'proper' song order.

If I didn't go thru all of this, the songs would play in alphabetical order within an album instead.

May 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I organize mp3 files on my computer by folder, using the "Artist->Album->xx-Songname" hierarchy. The preceding xx is a two-digit number (1 thru 9 have leading zeros) to reflect the order in which the song is listed on the CD:

Ex.
"01- The First Song.mp3"
"02-The Next Song.mp3"
"03-And the Next Song.mp3"

My ripping software just creates generic filenames, so I must edit these filenames manually (using plain old Windows Explorer) after I rip them from the original CD.

Then I use "Tag & Rename" software to insert all the proper id3 tags I want. The "Title" id3 tags is pulled from the filename automatically.

Now when I copy & play these songs on any portable player that uses id3 tags, I can effectively get the organization that you describe. An album plays like an album, in the 'proper' song order.

If I didn't go thru all of this, the songs would play in alphabetical order within an album instead.

We organize things exactly the same way.
rs1smile.gif

May 20, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by neversummer
Personally, I would choose the rio karma.
$150 is a very reasonable price. Enough so that it's worth risking a failure.

Where is the Karma being sold for $150?

May 21, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 26
i just burnt a ATRAC3plus CD @ 64 kilobit/s for my ne300 and maybe i'm blessed with insensitive ears, but i can't hear much of a difference between them and the 320kilobit/s source MP3's... espescially when these are portable devices and you're most likely going to be listening while walking down the street or on public transit, the different will be 100% inaudible for me. For those who are pickey, well they'll need jackhammer quality ear muffs over their E2's (yes, double isolation!) to hear the difference...

Files that used to take up 10 megs are now 2 megs... i've got 341 tracks on a CD. Or, 500 songs per MD...

It did take a while to burn however (takes 10-25 seconds/song to convert), i'm on a 1800+ Athlon, and Sonicstage is far from being a perfect software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back