Sony MZ-RH1 still worth buying?
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 34
well,

I'm a long time MiniDisc/Hi-MD user and own an MZ-RH1.
To put it simple it's basically like this;

A) you want absolutely the BEST sound quality available in a portable device at the moment then the MZ-RH1 is the one and only candidate.

B) you want a fully functional and handy to use DAP that will provide you with some nice tunes during your daily things in a convenient way then the MZ-RH1 is not your cup of tea. In that cas you'd be better off with some decent flash player like iriver clix2, sony NWZ, Creative zen or ipod nano for example.

I must admit that I just LOOOOOOVE my MZ-RH1. MiniDisc is still the best for SQ imho. And armed with that double capacity Coupling Condensor other DAP's of any kind will have a hard time beating it.

Greetz

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dislike the RH1 for a DAP. It sounds great but the control layout stinks, and the sweet OLED display does not display track titles or group names (allows for a simple folder-type structure on your disc) or even the disc name. I really hate that. I heartily agree with the poster who said the NH900 and RH10 are much much better as music players. That poster mentioned the NH1 as a better player but it's pretty much exactly like the RH1 with an LCD instead of OLED display (no titles, group names, disc name display, etc.)

I would not advise just getting a Minidisc player just for kicks because you really need to build a Minidisc ecosystem around it to make it easy to use. Lots of discs, Sonic Stage loaded on a PC, and a dedicated Sonic Stage library unless you plan to just rip CD's to it as you go. But if it's something you want to dive into, then you'll probably like the sound.

i see, how is ur river h120 compare to the sound of rh1?

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well,

I'm a long time MiniDisc/Hi-MD user and own an MZ-RH1.
To put it simple it's basically like this;

A) you want absolutely the BEST sound quality available in a portable device at the moment then the MZ-RH1 is the one and only candidate.

B) you want a fully functional and handy to use DAP that will provide you with some nice tunes during your daily things in a convenient way then the MZ-RH1 is not your cup of tea. In that cas you'd be better off with some decent flash player like iriver clix2, sony NWZ, Creative zen or ipod nano for example.

I must admit that I just LOOOOOOVE my MZ-RH1. MiniDisc is still the best for SQ imho. And armed with that double capacity Coupling Condensor other DAP's of any kind will have a hard time beating it.

Greetz

Does the SQ of ur rh1 improved through line out? Do u have any complain of the battery life (10hrs for wav playback)?

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by CML86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see, how is ur river h120 compare to the sound of rh1?

Good question, I haven't used the RH1 for music in a long time (only recording) so I'll go compare the two and get back to you.

Also, my experience with the line-out is that line-out mode does give a noticeable improvement in sound quality over the headphone out. Yes they share the same jack and you toggle them in a software menu. And yes, it's very similar to headphone mode with volume on max and eq off. But I still notice a difference, and line-out mode is much better to my ears. Much cleaner and detailed, and more evenly balanced. I've seen a diagram of the circuit that showed the line-out mode does indeed physically change the signal path to avoid various stages of the headphone amp, so I don't think it's my imagination.

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 34
it does offer a quite good sound quility, i think if you can afford the time and effort to transfer the music into mds, it is worth of trying

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Greetz

Still using it, 3 years later?
biggrin.gif

Well it seems clear that the sound quality is the major capture factor for the MZ-RH1 and the Hi-MD format. Nothing else rivals it.

But who cares about sound quality on the go? Most of the forum threads decry the fact that the mini-disc threads refuse to die lol. Hard to let such a high quality audiophile track weapon pass into oblivion.

I'm not helping by bringing them all these minidisc threads back to life
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #23 of 34
I dunno. I guess so if you're using the computer to listen to music?
confused.gif

I prefer recording music on to the MD player direct from source, or from the CD/LP/tape/computer. It's easy to do with the line outs that are available on these highly specified MD players. iPods etc don't have that facility, so you can't just record direct from computer using the optical line out or the line out.

This is what makes mini-disc soooo neat
atsmile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 34
Well I was so happy with my minidiscs (soundwise and compilation wise at 256k) that I bought another 2 mz-rh1 including a silver one and an extra 150 1G discs for use into the future. Probably over-reacted cause I think the Cowon S9 sounds pretty cool for a DAP except it's not big enough. I only use simple burner though cause it gives a smoother sound which is why I've had to stick with Windows xp. I will be using my minidiscs until Cowon releases a larger DAP so I can store WAV files on them.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 34
Albioni - see if this is any clearer?

800pxMinidisc_Sony_MZ11.jpg

That's a chunky good classic styled MD player! I really like it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I already own a few MD players - feels a bit extravagant buying 'back up spares' and stopping others from enjoying these fabulous players!
smily_headphones1.gif

GCX15 - how much did 150x 1Gb Hi-MD discs cost you?!!!!!

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno. I guess so if you're using the computer to listen to music?
confused.gif

I prefer recording music on to the MD player direct from source, or from the CD/LP/tape/computer. It's easy to do with the line outs that are available on these highly specified MD players. iPods etc don't have that facility, so you can't just record direct from computer using the optical line out or the line out.

This is what makes mini-disc soooo neat
atsmile.gif

Easy but time consuming as it's real time only. Personally it's all just too long winded and the ergonomics of controls, menus, displays, was terrible. I was a long time user of md and himd but just got fed up with it.

There's still a few places selling the R1 near me but it's still €300.

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #28 of 34
Doesn't make sense to me.

Would anyone really try editing all their iPod songs, on their iPod only? Surely they rely on a computer to do so, and not the iPod?

I use a mini-disc hi-fi deck. It cost around 80 Euro new for top grade mini-disc editing. I've been told I could catch up with the rest of the world and use sonicstage to record from MP3. But I'm fine with real time recording: I can listen and enjoy the music at the same time.

Convenience ain't everything. Sound quality isn't either, but it's more than convenience
smily_headphones1.gif

300 Euro is wayyyyy too dear! Try £150! That's what I paid for mine new/boxed and still under warranty. Imagine that - 2010 - 1 year warranty for a Hi-Md still going! Ain't Sony grrrreat?!

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Albioni - see if this is any clearer?

800pxMinidisc_Sony_MZ11.jpg

That's a chunky good classic styled MD player! I really like it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I already own a few MD players - feels a bit extravagant buying 'back up spares' and stopping others from enjoying these fabulous players!
smily_headphones1.gif

GCX15 - how much did 150x 1Gb Hi-MD discs cost you?!!!!!

Yes its my very 1st MD player and I think but could be wrong this was one of the very first portable MD player bought out by Sony when the MD player was introduced to the market, also I think it might be a professional one. Mind you its had sweet bugger all use, as I used my CD player more.

My portable CD player from Sony was a Sony D7 another all metal construction, one again an oldie but a goldie:

http://hk.auctions.buystation.com/up...58_addpic1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back