Sony MZ-RH1 still worth buying?
Mar 18, 2008 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

CML86

100+ Head-Fier
MD seems to be dying on the market. Since I never own any MD player, I have no idea how does it sound. I read about the mz-rh1 having great SQ (it even rated higher than HD30GB9 on a Japanese web site). Is this true? how about comparing w/ HD60GD9? If anyone has experience w/ these players please give me some advice. What are the pros and cons of the mz-rh1? Base on its specs, it can only last 10hrs for PCM playback. If this is true, then it has to be the weakest feature of this player. Btw, does this player benefit much from line-out? Any helps will be appreciated.

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 34
Do you plan on using the RH1 for field recording, or just as a playback device? Although I own 14 MD units, unless you actually make live recordings, MiniDisc is not always the best options, although SQ is still far and above most other DAP's. You get very durable media and a coolness factor that is second to none, plus great remotes.

The latest versions of SonicStage are very stable, but many people don't like the way it interfaces as it's not drop and drag.

The line out is toggled with the headphone out; I have the NH1 which offers identical performance with its line out, it works well, but not quite the same as a dedicated line out.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by CML86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MD seems to be dying on the market. Since I never own any MD player, I have no idea how does it sound. I read about the mz-rh1 having great SQ (it even rated higher than HD30GB9 on a Japanese web site). Is this true? how about comparing w/ HD60GD9? If anyone has experience w/ these players please give me some advice. What are the pros and cons of the mz-rh1? Base on its specs, it can only last 10hrs for PCM playback. If this is true, then it has to be the weakest feature of this player. Btw, does this player benefit much from line-out? Any helps will be appreciated.

I have an RH1 , i have never heard the Kenwood but from what i hear the Kenwood suffers from Hiss , to me that contradicts its 'audiophile' status.
I can tell you that the RH1 is silent , no hiss , none and that it sounds great , to elaborate it is punchy , has well defined bass, tight treble and the mids are right where they should be.
I agree with superbaldguy though , if you dont record then it isnt ideal as a player. I think either a iaudio X5 (if you can find one) or maybe a new Sony (i have S618f and it sounds great).

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have never heard the Kenwood but from what i hear the Kenwood suffers from Hiss , to me that contradicts its 'audiophile' status.

In case you didn't know, Kenwood HD60GD9EC doesn't have a hiss problem. I mean every Daps has a little bit of hiss, especially depending on files you are playing. I didn't notice any special hiss with the HD60GD9EC.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you didn't know, Kenwood HD60GD9EC doesn't have a hiss problem. I mean every Daps has a little bit of hiss, especially depending on files you are playing. I didn't notice any special hiss with the HD60GD9EC.

Which earphone did u use?

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you plan on using the RH1 for field recording, or just as a playback device? Although I own 14 MD units, unless you actually make live recordings, MiniDisc is not always the best options, although SQ is still far and above most other DAP's. You get very durable media and a coolness factor that is second to none, plus great remotes.

The latest versions of SonicStage are very stable, but many people don't like the way it interfaces as it's not drop and drag.

The line out is toggled with the headphone out; I have the NH1 which offers identical performance with its line out, it works well, but not quite the same as a dedicated line out.

I would agree with above. The RH1 is a great field recorder, but not the best music player. Those honors go to the NH-900, NH-1, and RH-10. They were more 'music friendly' with features like aux battery pack and a display designed for navigating rather than recording, etc. The RH-1 is technically superior, but not as friendly a player. Then there's your music. If you rip directly from CD there's hope, but if you download or have an extensive library of MP3 files already, I don't think it'd be worth it. MD/HiMD WORKS BEST WITH ATRAC 3+. Good luck.

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by CML86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which earphone did u use?

Shure SE530. In fact, HD60GD9EC seems to have less noise than other three Daps I tried (Zen, Ipod and Zune).

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

My apologies, i made this statement based on reviews here and on a few other sites, from re-reading them it seems that hiss on this DAP is apparent to some users and not to others, probably depends on earphones.

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Shure SE530. In fact, HD60GD9EC seems to have less noise than other three Daps I tried (Zen, Ipod and Zune).

oh! Actually i was consider of buying ur HD60GD9, but it was sold so fast. good 4 u.

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 34
Wouldn't be without mine!
Its not just great for recording but also doubles as imo the best portable player out there!
But just make sure to use good headphones.
Very close in sound to my denon Rcd-m35 receiver
Just remember to stock up on discs!

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 34
I dislike the RH1 for a DAP. It sounds great but the control layout stinks, and the sweet OLED display does not display track titles or group names (allows for a simple folder-type structure on your disc) or even the disc name. I really hate that. I heartily agree with the poster who said the NH900 and RH10 are much much better as music players. That poster mentioned the NH1 as a better player but it's pretty much exactly like the RH1 with an LCD instead of OLED display (no titles, group names, disc name display, etc.)

I would not advise just getting a Minidisc player just for kicks because you really need to build a Minidisc ecosystem around it to make it easy to use. Lots of discs, Sonic Stage loaded on a PC, and a dedicated Sonic Stage library unless you plan to just rip CD's to it as you go. But if it's something you want to dive into, then you'll probably like the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back