Sony Minidisc vs. IPod or other player
Apr 30, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
lol.... how can they say compressed music EXCEED CD quality (uncompressed)..? total nonsense. ATRAC3+ may sound close, but so can MP3 at the right bitrate, or AAC, or WMA, etc....

I think that quote pertains to music recorded directly to MD using professional MD Deck. There were certain discussions where the ATRAC's artifacting added more warmth or depth (or whatever your favorite sonic qualities are) rather than taking away from it, but I find that to be hogwash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhw
It looked like the top bit rate is 132k on the Hi-MD using ATRAC3-plus compression scheme. How would this compare with the Apple lossless in terms of getting all of the nuance of the CD recording onto the minidisc? Perhaps it won't matter to ones ear, but I'd appreciate a run down on the formats and music quality.

While were at it:
HiMDs can record music at these settings or bitrates:
PCM: Uncompressed 44.1KHz, or also referred to as true CD Quality. 1GB will hold a bit more than 100 minutes or so, off top of my head. As it is true CD Quality recording, there are no compression introduced, and any artifacting you'll encounter will be at the source.
SP: 292kbps, limited to normal MD discs. The venerable ATRAC compression scheme has been with us since 1992 (?). The best recording quality you can achieve with a MD Unit currently, but oddly enough (due to algorithm problems, DRM, or some other unknown reasons) has been left out of the NetMD process entirely. While the new HiMD units can play old MD discs with SP tracks, the new HiMD discs can not record in this manner. Instead, we get:
HiSP: 256kbps. Intended to replace SP Recording, you can listen to HiSP tracks with SonicStage 2 software. It's, to my ears, CD Transparent. It is compressed so it isn't true CD quality, but very hard to tell it vs. the source audio. Uses Atrac3plus
LP2: 132kbps/105kbps. Under the right circumstances and your listening habits, equipments, comes at times brillantly, passable at times. I prefer LP2 over 128kbps MP3, and most LP2 tracks that are recorded directly from CD sources will compare favorably with 160kbps-192kbps MP3s. They do have uses, despite what MD purists and Codec tech-heads will say to you. One thing to note, quality of transcoded LP2, to my hears, sounds a lot worse in some cases vs. the original MP3s. If you're transcoding, you'll have better options.
HiLP 64kbps: First introduced with their line of CD walkmans and network walkmans a year back, uses Atrac3plus codec (from what I understand, the transform window is a lot smaller vs. traditional ATRAC). Sony's own "independent" testing showed that more preferred the quality of HiLP 64 vs. MP3s at 128kbps. Take this with a grain of salt, but most MP3s around 128, 160 survives the transcoding process to 64kbps fairly well. If you're used to listening to low bitrate MP3s, give this a try.
LP4: 66kbps. Suitable for lectures, audiobooks, or other applications where time needs are greater than quality. I'd say this setting is comparable to decent FM Broadcasting. But LP4 is basically dead and buried if you have a unit capable of playing HiLP 64kbps for HiLP 48bkps tracks.
HiLP 48kbps: Absolute worst of the lot, though to me sounds quite better than LP4. FM Broadcast quality. There may have been changes to the coded between the first A3p codec vs. the current A3p codec, hardware or software wise (or could be due to the parametric eq. of the new units). If you listen to any HiLP48kpbs tracks, you'll notice a lot of artifacts in the trebles (the usual metallic sounds, oddly sounding cymbols due to preecho or or what not). Not really worth it either, personally.

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 56
Please explain this term - "PCM"

Also, do you mean to say that AL and the direct record of the PCM stream will mean that both units will not lose any data in the transfer? Therefore, the quality of output and reality of output will depend on the amp in the unit?

If I understand correctly and all of above are accurate, which unit will give the most honest and exact replay, IPod or iHP or Sony Hi-MD.

Thanks,
Bruce

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhw
It looked like the top bit rate is 132k on the Hi-MD using ATRAC3-plus compression scheme. How would this compare with the Apple lossless in terms of getting all of the nuance of the CD recording onto the minidisc? Perhaps it won't matter to ones ear, but I'd appreciate a run down on the formats and music quality.
Thanks.

Huh? HiSP is 256k. You can even record PCM onto the MD if you really want to. You get something like half an hour on a reformatted 80 min blank (They're 300MB reformatted, up from 160MB on standard MD). 4 something hours with HiSP.

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhw
Please explain this term - "PCM"

Also, do you mean to say that AL and the direct record of the PCM stream will mean that both units will not lose any data in the transfer? Therefore, the quality of output and reality of output will depend on the amp in the unit?

If I understand correctly and all of above are accurate, which unit will give the most honest and exact replay, IPod or iHP or Sony Hi-MD.

Thanks,
Bruce

Both AL and PCM recording on HiMDs are lossless. AL is compressed like FLAC, but such that no information is lost during the compression process (think a ZIP file of a WAV that you've extracted from your CD). Windows Media Player 9 has such a compression setting as well, "Mathematically lossless setting" is what they call it. These files, on the average, will be about 40%-60% smaller than the original, most of them hovering around 50%.

The PCM recording mode is much like burning an Audio CD (to take an analogy). There are no compression involved with the entire recording process, so you've recorded essentially a exact duplicate copy of the audio source. Like FLAC, Apple Lossless ACC, APE and other lossless formats, there are no data lost. However unlike those compression settings, there are no compression applied to it at all. [/list]

Apr 30, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 56
Okay, If I might summarize:

HDD player has greater capacity (up to 40GB), hence able to record in lossless format multiple CD's

Hi-MD is 1GB, hence only able to record 1.5 CD's in lossless format, but able to do so nonetheless.

Hi-MD SP, although compressed will not be noted to be different from original music CD even with superior canal phones.

Music quality of Hi-MD vs. iHP or Ipod is maybe better on the Sony Hi-MD due to better amp and line output (debateable).

Sony Hi-MD also allows for transport of data files and for recording.

No one type is perfect in all respects. Audiophiles might gravitate toward the Hi-MD except for issue of having to change discs, but advantage of longer battery life.

Thank you all for helping me to work this out. I believe I'll probably go for the Hi-MD when it comes out.

Apr 30, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhw
Okay, If I might summarize:
Sony Hi-MD also allows for transport of data files and for recording.

So does most HD-DAPs, by the by. However, if you're working with Macs, HiMDs won't be one of your choices, as the software nor the unit works with Mac computers. If you use Macs as your primary computing platform, there is really no argument to go beyond iPods.

Otherwise, I think you have it right on the nose for the most part. The biggest question involving HiMD units are the HD Digital amps. From what I've heard (ancedotal), the HD-Digital Amps are better than most HD player's Amps...

May 1, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #22 of 56
One major thing to add to your summary is that the MD can record from almost any normal source. OK i know that the iHP 120 can record straight to MP3 (i've heard inferior encoding also) but a recording off of a 75$ MD recorder will blow it's doors off in sound q, not to mention flexiblity through on the fly editing. At the moment HDP with recording capabilities are like adding video fuction to a still camera, or adding still camera functions to a video camera. They are good at their primary function and crappy at their secondary. I use my iPod at work for listening and when I need to record I use my MiniDisc then transfer the recording to the computer.

The previous poster brought up Mac compatibility with Sony's Soundstage MP3 transfer software. Totally valid and true with transfering data to and from a computer, but MD is far from incompatible with Macs. I have a small box that hooks up to USB and provides optical ins and outs for recording music both to and from the computer to MD. The disadvantage is that it is all done in real time. So it's not so much that MD is compatible with Macs it's more like MD's are compatible with anything that generates sound.

Basically I love both my iPod and MD but they serve different needs. You need to look at what your individual needs are for the unit, then choose appropriately, or get both
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Basically I love both my iPod and MD but they serve different needs. You need to look at what your individual needs are for the unit, then choose appropriately, or get both
biggrin.gif

That's what I did
biggrin.gif
I have a 30GB iPod and MD. I'll likely get HI-MD when it comes out too.
k1000smile.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 56
I'm really behind the times but did HiMD ever come out? Did it survive at all I wonder.

I love my minidisc player and use it when travelling. I still can't tell whether this improvement is because the top end (read - most expensive minidisc on the market which I bought and still use!) minidisc quality on SP recordings is better than MP3s and the iPod, or whether it's down to the internal amp/line outs in the respective gadgets.

Does anyone else out there have any love for the minidisc format 5 years on?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 56
HiMD did come out, but at 1 GB/disc it completely failed against the iPod at 20, then 30 then 60 then 120 and now 160 GB. Sadly, Sony came out with the tech too late. Full PCM support with 1 GB/disc meant lossless CD quality, with about 1 CD/disc. Not that great when one can do ALAC and get 40-400 CDs on a single unit.

MD though...for whatever reason, just sounds better. I have always found that, ATRAC vs. MP3 I gave it to ATRAC. PCM on HiMD to ALAC or AIFF/WAV on an iPod, I gave it to the MD player. The death nell though has me looking to other options. I have an iPhone (32 GB) and I have a Classic (160 GB) and I still lust after the Hifiman HM-801 because it is truly audiophile capable (24/96) and takes SD cards (meaning limitless storage on the small end).

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiMD did come out, but at 1 GB/disc it completely failed against the iPod at 20, then 30 then 60 then 120 and now 160 GB. Sadly, Sony came out with the tech too late. Full PCM support with 1 GB/disc meant lossless CD quality, with about 1 CD/disc. Not that great when one can do ALAC and get 40-400 CDs on a single unit.

MD though...for whatever reason, just sounds better. I have always found that, ATRAC vs. MP3 I gave it to ATRAC. PCM on HiMD to ALAC or AIFF/WAV on an iPod, I gave it to the MD player. The death nell though has me looking to other options. I have an iPhone (32 GB) and I have a Classic (160 GB) and I still lust after the Hifiman HM-801 because it is truly audiophile capable (24/96) and takes SD cards (meaning limitless storage on the small end).

Wow! Thanks for that update. I had no idea about the speed of technology. Once I got my top end Sharp minidisc, I couldn't be bothered what else came out in the market and just happily chugged along with my Sharp MD and Senns HD25s
dt880smile.png

Carrying the minidiscs is quite a delight actually. I like a sense of closure to an album, ending in either 40 minutes or 74, rather than winding along interminably from mix to mix for 3000 songs. I'll have to look up the Hifiman - this isn't something I've heard of. You make it sound so exciting.

I've found the minidisc (just mine - the top end Sharp MT888 series) better than anything I've heard on iPod too. The iPod doesn't cut it for me at all. Maybe when I start pushing the amp side of it, it might (holy grail?) but the minidisc is far more enjoyable unamped. A lot of internet forum warriors seem to diss the MD as yesterday's technology, but the optical basis behind it is actually quite delightful!
biggrin.gif
In any case, it's a shame that blank minidiscs still sell for the same price that they did back in 2001 (minus inflation). ...

What a gorgeous portable medium!

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #28 of 56
wow, a 5 year old thread gets resurrected with no complaints. MD codec sounds different from CD - it is boosted and dynamically reduced more than MP3 - and that is the reason it sounds so good. It simply is 'photoshopped' for specific listening style. It is however, further from the truth than other formats.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, a 5 year old thread gets resurrected with no complaints. MD codec sounds different from CD - it is boosted and dynamically reduced more than MP3 - and that is the reason it sounds so good. It simply is 'photoshopped' for specific listening style. It is however, further from the truth than other formats.

It's *only* 5 years old - and not redundant as a format. Can we say the same about MP3 in 5 years??
biggrin.gif

Are you saying that the music from a minidisc is shaped by the minidisc format (rather than the equivalent of a graphic equaliser). Is this because of the ATRAC algorithm or some other gimmick then, rather than the optical technology of the minidisc, as opposed to the purely binary (abstract) stuff of digital? Well I am actually quite happy with CD or MiniDisc or even tape, but mostly vinyl! It's MP3 and the nudie emperor whom I'm not so hot on.

What is the truth...in other formats? Is it in the antiseptically sterile and clinically clean CD? Or the crick and crackle of the vinyl? Or the flat monotony of the MP3? I don't know about SACD. I have precisely one, which I was relieved, actually plays in my CD player!

As Nietzsche argues, we are not knowers of the truth. This is not our destiny. All we can do, is live out, our version of the truth.

I'll be quite happy to live out my plastic little life or vinyl version, well and truly above one that is compressed and flattened into an MP3 and passed around like a prostituted internet file!
beyersmile.png

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 56
mp3 is here to stay, its good enough for consumer level, and its quite easy to use, im not worried about mp3 going away, im more worried about people getting use to it and making it harder and harder for people to get music in lossless or high quality formats,

95% of people have chinese built crap supermarket brand mp3 players with 5 buck Pony headphones from the local supermarket, its fine to be an idealist, but i suspect that as we move to digital distribution of music, people who run those distribution channels will see that 90-95% of their sales are in lossy formats like AAC, WMA and MP3, and just wont bother providing high quality/lossless alternatives,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back