Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
May 29, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #35 of 392

bump

Are aware that you are looking for somebody owning (or having access to):
1) MDR-1ABT
2) M2AEBT
3) some of the incredibly expensive Sony devices with LDAC
Just only the point 3 means more than 1000 Euro.

Or do you just hope that by bumping often enough the aliens will sooner or later receive the digital message and send you an answer from Mars?
popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #37 of 392
  How is the passive noise cancellation?  This seemed poor on the MDR-1As. Also, are they prone to wind noise when outside (note that they have vents)? 

The noise isolation is okay. I'm not sure about the corded version, but these do suffer from the same wind noise issues as the MDR-1RBTMK2. It is slightly distracting when listening in a heavy breeze, but you can still hear the music.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #39 of 392
  Yep, those vents are still there. I'm considering plugging them with some microphone wind shield foam. It should do the job. 

EDIT: I just tried this. Cut out two small squares of foam from an old pair of cheapy headphones and rolled them up, shoved them in the holes. Went outside on what is a pretty windy day and the wind noise is almost completely gone with no noticable effect on bass.

You could try other materials.
I would suggest buying 2 or three of good (different) foam protectors for stage microphones, you know, those foam things which you apply on the head of the mics used to sing.
I used to beatbox and had a problem of "human wind" when doing some sounds. Those things are amazing.
They would block much more wind for sure.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #40 of 392
  3) some of the incredibly expensive Sony devices with LDAC
Just only the point 3 means more than 1000 Euro.

@Giogio Are you just misinformed or trolling?  I'm inclined to think it's the latter - as I've previously pointed out in this very thread, just a few posts back, the NWZ-A15/A17 DAPs support LDAC as of the firmware update 1.10 released back in April.

You can buy the A15 for around $200.  Anyone who thinks that's "incredibly expensive" should seriously consider whether being on this forum is worth their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giogio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or do you just hope that by bumping often enough the aliens will sooner or later receive the digital message and send you an answer from Mars? 
popcorn.gif

Hmm, definitely trolling...

beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #41 of 392
 I am especially curious about how they perform with another LDAC device as compared to just aptX? For example, would love to hear about a head-to-head comparison to the $100 more expensive Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.

bump

Also curious about LDAC performance, as this is a USP of these headphones.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #43 of 392
The LDAC works really well with the NW-ZX2. Sound is excellent!

Is there a way to force the 1ABT in Aptx mode?
I am curious if you can notice a difference in them, used with the SAME device (NW), when in LDAC or in Aptx.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #44 of 392
The LDAC works really well with the NW-ZX2. Sound is excellent!

How can you be sure that this is LDAC at work?  The ZX2 is a great sounding DAP by all accounts, even with non-LDAC headphones.  As per Giogio's question, have you compared it in LDAC vs AptX?

This will not be easy, as it would be even more difficult to discern the difference between AptX and LDAC than it is between MP3 and FLAC.

Therefore, it is crucial to use well-mastered hi-res source material, otherwise I would expect no difference in SQ between the two modes.  I made an emphasis on well-mastered, as I can't always can't tell the difference between between a hi-res track and the quality 320 kbps OGG / MP3 version on Spotify / Google Music, so this would be another important ABX test.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #45 of 392

How can you be sure that this is LDAC at work?  The ZX2 is a great sounding DAP by all accounts, even with non-LDAC headphones.  As per Giogio's question, have you compared it in LDAC vs AptX?

This will not be easy, as it would be even more difficult to discern the difference between AptX and LDAC than it is between MP3 and FLAC.

Therefore, it is crucial to use well-mastered hi-res source material, otherwise I would expect no difference in SQ between the two modes.  I made an emphasis on well-mastered, as I can't always can't tell the difference between between a hi-res track and the quality 320 kbps OGG / MP3 version on Spotify / Google Music, so this would be another important ABX test.

I use only lossless files, many of which are 24bit or higher.  I don't want to listen to anything through headphones that isn't well recorded or mastered, so I don't have that stuff on my NW-ZX2.

Per the NW-ZX2's documentation, I have set it so that "The Bluetooth connection is made using LDAC if the Bluetooth device you want to connect with has an LDAC function."  So, yes, it is connecting via LDAC.  

No, I haven't compared it to AptX.

I think the player/headphone combo sounds great.  More than that, you should hire an independent testing agency.  Feel free to discount my further postings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back