Sony MDR ZX700 Vs. Audio Technica ATH WS55
Mar 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

onionbaja

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking at a relatively low cost set of headphones and have roughly narrowed it down to:
Sony MDR ZX700 Vs. Audio Technica ATH WS55.

With traveling a lot good sound isolation for myself from outside noises on the road and for others around me is important.
I mainly listen to Metal but this can be a very diverse genre with many different levels of instruments and recording styles, so a good soundscape is important to pick up all the different instruments yet with full sounding guitars (check out Orphaned Land and Wintersun). Sorry EQs have never been a strong point of mine!

Originally considered crossfade M-80 but the sound isolation doesn't sound acceptable and with all the moving around they could get left behind!
ATH M-50 drew some appeal however they do seem quite bulky for my small head.

Sennheiser HD25-1 II were also considered but concerns over comfort and again cost pushed me back towards the 
Sony MDR ZX700 / Audio Technica ATH WS55.

Did also think of the AKG 450s but it seems that the sound isolation on these is also a problem.

The ATH WS55 do look slightly more portable than the Sony, but sound is a higher priority along with isolation. 

Whatever is decided upon will be attached to a Samsung Galaxy Sii.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Onionbaja

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 8
It is tempting to get the M80 as there's a new pair going for £121 online, is the isolation problems balanced out by the quality of sound?
The ZX700s are going for £62 which seems like a fantastic deal in comparison.
From personal reviews it seems the Denon Ah D1100 are built poorly and many arrive with cracks in the build.

Found the below tests very informative:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-100-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-oldskool-70-and-oldskool-rpm-33-1-3-added-03-01-12

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 8
ZX700 provides good isolation but they sound like the Etymotic HF5. 
Compared to the HD25 they lack a great quantity of bass but got bigger soundstage, usable for 1-2hrs and durable.
ZX700 are quite good for their price!
But I'd recommend getting a Basic Edition HD25-1 II which comes w/o the pouch & velour pads and sells for €149-€159.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Good call, I listened to the zx700 and GREATLY preffered my CALs because the zx's had a sharpeness or honkiness.
Maybe because it was the best buy model... 
BTW the build really isnt bad on the d1100
but good deal on those hd25s

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Good call, I listened to the zx700 and GREATLY preffered my CALs because the zx's had a sharpeness or honkiness.
Maybe because it was the best buy model... 
BTW the build really isnt bad on the d1100
but good deal on those hd25s

You are correcct.
The ZX700 is a bit sharp on highs and sometimes when listening to pop/vocal jazz gets fatiguing.
I now use mine for watching movies & HD25 for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back