Sony MDR-ZX600 or Audio Technica ATH-SJ55
May 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

djflorax

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am stuck between the two. Which do you think is better and why? Do you think I should just add more bucks to get the Sony MDR-V55? If I get the latter I will also get an Audio Technica ATH-ON300 for free. What do you think, guys? My budget is $80. It is okay if it exceeds, but not much. Thanks.

May 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Just curious, but what drew you to those two headphones in the first place? Was it looks? Reviews? Budget?

I don't have personal experience with either headphone, but if you could describe the kind of music you listen to, the source/player you'll be using, and the type of environment you'll be using it in, I'll try to give a recommendation based on my experiences.

If you've already gone through all this, then enjoy the guilt-free bump.

-Nylan

May 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Just curious, but what drew you to those two headphones in the first place? Was it looks? Reviews? Budget?

I don't have personal experience with either headphone, but if you could describe the kind of music you listen to, the source/player you'll be using, and the type of environment you'll be using it in, I'll try to give a recommendation based on my experiences.

If you've already gone through all this, then enjoy the guilt-free bump.

-Nylan

sorry for the late reply. look dont really matter to me but i dont want to go outside looking reprobate. the real deal for me is the sound. i usually listen to bruno mars, all american rejects, my chemical romance etc. i want to understand the lyrics bcoz i also listen to audiobooks. i end up in that choices also bcoz of budget. i am living in a country where 80 dollar cans are considered high end. i can also just save so the budget increases to 100 dollars. you can also suggest other brands like akg, senheisser or audio technica. thanks.

May 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 6
I have no idea what pricing would cost outside of the US, but for a solid portable under $50 for the genres you are describing, I would go with the Koss Portapro. It's fairly comfortable, light, fold-up, and sounds great. It's an open headphone, so you'll hear other sounds around you and they will "leak" sound.

If that is going to be a problem, I would look into the Sennheiser PX-200 II (darker sounding, lightweight) or the AKG K518dj (comfort is subjective on this one).

Another set to look at would be the JVC Flats, which typically run about $20 USD. They are another great "bang-for-the-buck" headphone that saw some interest here about two years but has probably been overtaken by something that I haven't heard of.

Good luck!

-Nylan

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 6
somebody mind responding to this again, I am stuck with the same problem.
I have much others in consideration though, but consider this my first step.

What really confuses me:
  1. Both received equally positive responses
  2. Both are at the same price range.
  3. They look similar.

There are spec differences but I don't think they are of a very big scale so....there.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, I own a pair of audio technica sj55 and I've tried the mdr v55. The SJ55's will block out more sound than the v55's and I think they leak less as well. Both have punchy bass, but I would say the Sony has more of it. Defiantly the basshead set of the two. The Audio Technica SJ55 are also really well built, with no creaking, unlike the V55's that creak like my old ST-550's. But then, Sony MDR-V55 are quite a bit more comfortable, to me at least. They both take some getting used to, but the SJ55 have so much clamping force that you don't even notice that there is no cushion on the head band. Also, the sound of the Sony's in general have slightly less detail than SJ55's. This is gonna be a tough choice my friend...

Here's a little break down.

1. Audio Technica SJ55
Pros: Detailed, warm sound. Isolate noise well. Sturdy build quality. I've heard some prefer them to the M50's, though they shouldn't be compared ($70 vs $130)

Cons: vocals is overpowering for some (not me though). Tight clamping force. WES may occur (Warm Ear Syndrome).

2. Sony MDR-V55's
Pros: They look sick. Like seriously, are you a DJ? Classic Sony soundstage with moar BASS, though the mids and highs are still very nice sounding (though slightly veiled when compared to the SJ55's). Decent build quality (not as study as the SJ55 in feel however). Red and black.

Cons: What ear pads? (They feel straight off of the ZX100's). Creak, creak, creak.

Remember, they both aren't especially comfortable and both need some getting used to, though I find the sj55's less comfortable. I ended up with the SJ55's simply because of the sound signature. Good luck!

Update: I now own both pairs, and it's really close, but I would go for the sj55's. Just as I said above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back