Sony MDR ZX 110! Really good budget phones!
Mar 27, 2016 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
I know I do a lot of reviews here. It seems like most of the headphones I review go under the radar. 

Anyway, I found these at Target for 20 dollars, and I've owned a couple of the zx series in the past. I picked them up wondering how bad they could be, since the other zx models aren't great (although not terrible either!). I can return them no questions asked within 30 days. 

Well, I won't be returning them. Seriously, these headphones sound great. They sound better than the JVC flats, the skull candy grind (to me anyway), and those 20 dollar philips I reviewed. They give the PX 200 II's a run for their money and they are by far much better sounding than the other zx models I've heard. 

Brief run down. 

Build: Adequate, but nothing special. These were 20 dollars...all plastic, although they don't creak, nor do they seem flimsy. 

Comfort: Pretty good actually. They are lightweight due to the plastic construction, don't clamp very much, and the faux leather pads are pretty soft and give a lot. No padding at all on the headband, but that isn't an issue for me. 

Isolation: Eh...they kind of isolate, but not a lot. They do get a decent seal but there is something about their build that lets more sound in than other on ears. That said, they don't do as badly as an open pair would, obviously. They do OK on this end, but other pairs do much better. 

Sound:

Honestly, I found the sound to be very natural and very full, if a bit on the dry side of things. Super balanced, with a lot of spacial direction and great instrument separation. The bass is full but has some good detail and impact (though it's not as impact-ful as the PX 200 II's, but there is more bass, which is good to me). It doesn't overwhelm the mids at all. The mids are fantastic, with a lot of good instrument separation in rock tracks (you hear the multiple guitar tracks and their crunchy sound with heavy metal, for instance) and a lot of clarity. The vocals also seem very clear and articulate. Highs don't seem rolled off and again, seem pretty natural.

Some people would say these have a bass emphasis, but I think they are ideal. You need a little more bass since the bass frequencies are easy to drown out and don't project as much as other high energy frequencies. They don't sound congested to me at all. I notice some congestion with the PX 200 II's (since they are so small). These have a pretty spacious sound. The sound is articulate overall, lacking any veil (something the other zx models seem to have a lot of). The attack of the sound is very good, and things like drums and the initiation of guitar strings hit with a solid attack and sound pretty realistic. 

Lastly, they do seem to require a little more power to get a lot of sound from. But, mostly fairly easy to drive. I'm just used to the flats and how loud they easily get. 

I'm pretty floored with how good these sound and how cheap they were. Really, just a really unassuming pair of cans. They may be my go to from here on out. They really are more fun than the PX 200 II's and might have just as good of clarity. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 27
You still need to get the Monoprice on-ear. $15 or less if there is any type of code. Nice impressions, btw. The ZX100 was well received so not surprised that these are solid.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 27
You still need to get the Monoprice on-ear. $15 or less if there is any type of code. Nice impressions, btw. The ZX100 was well received so not surprised that these are solid.

I had the old ZX 100's and these are a lot better. Seriously...I listened to like 5 albums with them today while walking at a park here (the weather was incredible today!) and I still can't get over how good they sound. 

That said, I think you just dared me to get those. I'm going to be realllllly impressed if they wind up being better than the Sony's. Why bother spending much money on headphones if you can get great sound on the cheap?!

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 27
Good they are a good step up. Sometimes going from the X00 to the X10 Sony doesn't do that much better until recently.

BTW, MAR15 is the 15% off code for the Monoprice. Ends today though.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 27
Good they are a good step up. Sometimes going from the X00 to the X10 Sony doesn't do that much better until recently.

BTW, MAR15 is the 15% off code for the Monoprice. Ends today though.

Hmmm... the temptation...

Well, interestingly, I have the old ZX 100's (actually ended up gifting them to my sis), and the ZX 300's, and I preferred the 100's to the 300's. The 300's ended up having a much boomier sound with more veil...I guess in their minds, better = more bass. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 27
Well that is a bit different 100 to 300:) That was the prevailing conclusion 100 liked over the 300. So it will depend on how the 310 is. If exactly the same amount better but applied to the 300. A bit better than the ZX100 but still worse than the ZX110?? My head is starting to hurt :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 27
I needed two cheap headphones for my children, so I bought two white 110s. I have to say, for 14.95 euro, they do sound pretty good. Better than I thought they'd sound.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 27
These are actually quite good.  Especially for their price.  I was honestly surprised, because I was thinking they'd be much more veiled, bassy and loose than they are from past experience with budget Sony gear.

These have a little bit of an L sound, with mid bass hump and some treble roll-off, but they are surprisingly fast and detailed and have decent mids and highs, at least with my V20 and lossless CD tracks.  To me these perform by far the best if they are centered on the whole ear, rather that centered on the ear-hole.  When centered on the ear-hole, the mids and highs are quite veiled by comparison to when they slightly overhang the back of the ear.

The only tweak I might suggest is if you notch down the 125Hz and 250Hz bands by a few DB to deal with the mid-bass hump, you can suddenly hear a good amount of sub-bass that was being masked by the mid-bass and that really improves the sound, imo.  The side benefit is that detail and instrument separation improve from less mid-bass hump as well.

Getting the position right gives 90% of the best sound from them that I've managed to get, and if you EQ out the mid-bass hump as well ...

Plus, as you guys noted, they are really light weight with very little clamping force, so they are comfy even though the pad material isn't special.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 27
The zx110ap with the mic has thinner wire & balanced sound.

The zx110 with no mic has a thick wire and the bass is all over place.

These are not sealed headphones. I had to use tape to cover up the openings. Easy to take apart and hack.

If like the zx110 try the MDR EX15 iem.

The zx100 are mono. The 310s are junkie.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 27
  Well, interestingly, I have the old ZX 100's (actually ended up gifting them to my sis), and the ZX 300's, and I preferred the 100's to the 300's. The 300's ended up having a much boomier sound with more veil...I guess in their minds, better = more bass. 

I first read your review of the ZX 310. Now it seems the 110 are also good budget headphones.

I'm a bit confused though. When you mention the 300 above, do you really mean the 300 or the 310?

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 27
I did not have a good experience with 310. It felt cheaper. The speaker dented from suction presure. I'm stuck with the 110 till if find something that catches me.

I'm not sure what you mean by dented. Was the speaker physical damaged?

The 110 is a cheaper model then the 310. Is the building quality however better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back