Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,431 of 2,440
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #2,432 of 2,440
Would a MDR-Z7 M2 owner with stock pads be kind enough to share the measurements of the inside cups in depth, height and width?

Thanks in advance for your precious help 🙏🏼
I could only find the sheepskin aftermarket AliExpress spares. The originals are in a box in storage. The outer diameter is the same on aftermarket and originals which is 100mm. The inner of the aftermarket is different and oval so I doubt that will help you. The depth is also different, the aftermarket is thicker on one end. IIRC the factory originals were flat. Sorry.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #2,433 of 2,440
Giving it another shot… anyone?
I measured using a tape measure, so not the most accurate, but front to back at its widest is roughly 4.4 cm and top to bottom is about 6.4 cm, depth at the front of the earpads is roughly 1.8 cm and at the back is roughly 3 cm.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #2,434 of 2,440
I could only find the sheepskin aftermarket AliExpress spares. The originals are in a box in storage. The outer diameter is the same on aftermarket and originals which is 100mm. The inner of the aftermarket is different and oval so I doubt that will help you. The depth is also different, the aftermarket is thicker on one end. IIRC the factory originals were flat. Sorry.

I measured using a tape measure, so not the most accurate, but front to back at its widest is roughly 4.4 cm and top to bottom is about 6.4 cm, depth at the front of the earpads is roughly 1.8 cm and at the back is roughly 3 cm.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #2,435 of 2,440
Thanks a lot guys!!!
Oh, forgot to mention that the depth of the earpads at the back was measured from the driver, and the driver is angled. Measured from the inner lip of the earpad itself, the back of the earpad is roughly 2.4 cm thick.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #2,437 of 2,440
Hey y'all, I have a new pair of these Sony Z7m2's and was wondering if I could get some advice.

This is my third pair of Z7's, the original Z7's were my first jump into high end headphones. I tried the mk2's last year as I was on a binge of trying new headphones. I thought they were great but I didn't think they were THE headphone for me to covet. I wanted to try them again since my source chain has changed since then and this is where I am now. The pair I have is brand new and without flaw. Pad seal on my head is perfect but the comfort is a little annoying with the pad shape being so cupped I think.

So far I am finding that these make everything sound a degree softer than the other headphones I'm used to (ZMF Auteur, LCD-2, WP900, HD600). I can't say that these sound close to any of my other cans, maybe a darker sounding LCD-2 but that's still a stretch. I find that I am missing some of the incisiveness of my other cans and that these Z7m2's sound on the dull side of a relaxed signature. Lacking some excitement but I'm hearing really nice detail and air in the vocals, its just really calm. Definitely changing the feel of a lot of songs.

I heard that there is a burn in on these but I'm not sure that it would fix this small level of dullness I am hearing. I am listening through a solid state amp right now and I'll be swapping in my tube amp this weekend. Should be exciting.

So my question is how much better does this headphone perform with mods? I could replace the cable, interior wiring, pads, and then maybe experiment with dampening material if I should. Is it worth it? I have fond memories of the original Z7, being able to just drown myself in waves of music and zone out at the end of a day. I want that again but I'm not sure if I'm just chasing a dream. The OG Z7 had a lot of problems with harshness which is fully fixed here thankfully.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #2,439 of 2,440
Hey y'all, I have a new pair of these Sony Z7m2's and was wondering if I could get some advice.

This is my third pair of Z7's, the original Z7's were my first jump into high end headphones. I tried the mk2's last year as I was on a binge of trying new headphones. I thought they were great but I didn't think they were THE headphone for me to covet. I wanted to try them again since my source chain has changed since then and this is where I am now. The pair I have is brand new and without flaw. Pad seal on my head is perfect but the comfort is a little annoying with the pad shape being so cupped I think.

So far I am finding that these make everything sound a degree softer than the other headphones I'm used to (ZMF Auteur, LCD-2, WP900, HD600). I can't say that these sound close to any of my other cans, maybe a darker sounding LCD-2 but that's still a stretch. I find that I am missing some of the incisiveness of my other cans and that these Z7m2's sound on the dull side of a relaxed signature. Lacking some excitement but I'm hearing really nice detail and air in the vocals, its just really calm. Definitely changing the feel of a lot of songs.

I heard that there is a burn in on these but I'm not sure that it would fix this small level of dullness I am hearing. I am listening through a solid state amp right now and I'll be swapping in my tube amp this weekend. Should be exciting.

So my question is how much better does this headphone perform with mods? I could replace the cable, interior wiring, pads, and then maybe experiment with dampening material if I should. Is it worth it? I have fond memories of the original Z7, being able to just drown myself in waves of music and zone out at the end of a day. I want that again but I'm not sure if I'm just chasing a dream. The OG Z7 had a lot of problems with harshness which is fully fixed here thankfully.
hope its not an OTL amp you refer to?
i find them a tad bloomy on mine unfortunately. wish i had bought an OTC instead sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back