Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 28, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #2,296 of 2,440
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #2,297 of 2,440
Thank you :)

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #2,298 of 2,440
Can anyone tell me what the best replacement ear pads to get for Sony MDR-Z7 MDR-Z7M2; and how to replace them. Sony advices to send them back to them for ear pad replacements. That is really a hardship. Is there a good replacement pad that one can buy other than from Sony that sounds just as good?

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #2,299 of 2,440
Can anyone tell me what the best replacement ear pads to get for Sony MDR-Z7 MDR-Z7M2; and how to replace them. Sony advices to send them back to them for ear pad replacements. That is really a hardship. Is there a good replacement pad that one can buy other than from Sony that sounds just as good?
2 posts up.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,300 of 2,440
If installing the stock firmware will work - it may not now that I think about it, I will get back with what I mentioned before.

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #2,301 of 2,440
I miss this headphone, I sold it because it wasnt any good for competitive games but whenever I listen to music on anything else I miss it, I been going through alot of headphones trying to find something that gives me as much joy while listening to music and also does competitive games well, does anyone have any suggestions for this? Should I buy one again? I owned the original z7 aswell but I much prefered the m2, i hope they bring out a m3 sometime :D

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #2,302 of 2,440
I miss this headphone, I sold it because it wasnt any good for competitive games but whenever I listen to music on anything else I miss it, I been going through alot of headphones trying to find something that gives me as much joy while listening to music and also does competitive games well, does anyone have any suggestions for this? Should I buy one again? I owned the original z7 aswell but I much prefered the m2, i hope they bring out a m3 sometime :D
I think you can get a good deal on them used these days. I've seen them go for about $350 used on regular basis.

After modding other headphones and coming back to these, I think these are highly underrated.

The driver is excellent and highly capable, where it falls short is the boominess in the bass and the peakiness of the lower treble which make it a bit sibilant and bright. I think these issues are caused by an overabundance of resonance coming off the plastic pieces on the headphone and excessive vibration of the aluminum earcup. I had to use alot of little pieces of the ta32 tape all over the inside of this headphone, it is very sensitive to the placement of the tape. I spent countless hours placing and replacing the tape to find the right spots. The mods are in the history of this thread. cdacosta came up with the ingenius idea to use this tape to refine this headphone and I added other things on top of his mods.

Using the fo.q tape to mitigate those issues have made my set just simply amazing. The bass is tight, clean, well textured and faster. The peakiness in the treble is gone and it not fatiguing anymore.

I'm in northern NJ near the GWB, if anyone wants to hear them, lmk.

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #2,303 of 2,440
Modding is clearly a strong possibility, but not for everybody though and for those who don't wish to go that route you can equalize the Z7 M2. I do, but oddly I bass boost and I also apply a little equalization boost to the mid and upper treble. I have a friends pristine set on hand so I have had the opportunity to play around. I have owned the original Z7 and Z1R and I actually find the stock signature to be a little shy in the bass. I can see that there could be boominess though in the upper bass that depending on the music being played might be detail obscuring, but for me the bass needs more impact.

I will continue to evaluate the effects of my equalization looking to see if I perceive the bass as tight enough. Sometimes boosting can as everyone knows, result in bass becoming a little flabby so that is worth avoiding where possible.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,304 of 2,440
I listened to my MDR-Z7M2’s tonight. I got them on a great deal new, but didn’t listen to them much for 2 years, as I have some ‘better’ high-end ‘phones.

I’m impressed! When I forget about all the reviews and wonky frequency response, and just pay attention to the sound, they have a great sounds like a good set of classic speakers - maybe not perfect, but VERY musical. I happen to put on Pink Floyd’s The Wall from Qobuz tonight, and it was a perfect match with these ‘phones.

I continue to wonder how close the Z7M2’s are to the 1ZR’s. When Sony first released the 1ZR’s, I was set to buy them until all the bad reviews started flowing in. Then when I got Z7M2’s on discount, I figured it was ‘good enough‘ - but I’m still curious if I’m missing much.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #2,305 of 2,440
I listened to my MDR-Z7M2’s tonight. I got them on a great deal new, but didn’t listen to them much for 2 years, as I have some ‘better’ high-end ‘phones.

I’m impressed! When I forget about all the reviews and wonky frequency response, and just pay attention to the sound, they have a great sounds like a good set of classic speakers - maybe not perfect, but VERY musical. I happen to put on Pink Floyd’s The Wall from Qobuz tonight, and it was a perfect match with these ‘phones.

I continue to wonder how close the Z7M2’s are to the 1ZR’s. When Sony first released the 1ZR’s, I was set to buy them until all the bad reviews started flowing in. Then when I got Z7M2’s on discount, I figured it was ‘good enough‘ - but I’m still curious if I’m missing much.

The speaker analogy is on point. The original Z7 had two strategically placed ports on along the sides of the earcups. Reminds me of a typical speaker's design.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #2,306 of 2,440
The speaker analogy is on point. The original Z7 had two strategically placed ports on along the sides of the earcups. Reminds me of a typical speaker's design.

Never heard the MDR-Z7M2. But I own both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7. The Z7 is actually much harder to get sounding good, meaning it’s difficult to drive totally correct. When underpowered it’s boomy. Though when all is fixed up and the Z7 is catered to, it’s a more simplistic approach to the Sonics the MDR-Z1R would make a reality. You can hear how they are related, but the MDR-Z1R is easier to make correct. Way bigger soundstage and an involvement in the mids make you realize where your money went. Also it’s funny as the Z7 in a way is small, meaning I can lay back with them, but the Z1R demands almost non-laying back listening, due to the cups being so big. The Z1R is not perfect but what it has is a magic, where it’s like no headphone I ever heard exactly, and that’s at least special. IMO

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #2,307 of 2,440

When I first got a pair of MDR-Z7m2 I did not like them stock. I used a parametric EQ and they were better. I decided to mod them and then they came to life. Mods I did are earlier in this thread. I currently use a different pair of cans but for the money they can offer a fun experience.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #2,308 of 2,440
Also it’s funny as the Z7 in a way is small, meaning I can lay back with them, but the Z1R demands almost non-laying back listening, due to the cups being so big. The Z1R is not perfect but what it has is a magic, where it’s like no headphone I ever heard exactly, and that’s at least special. IMO
Some of my best listening experiences have come while laying down. While the music plays my mind can drift off into a space somewhere in-between full consciousness and sleep. Distractions are minimal and the music is the focal point. Occasionally, it can be transcendental.

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,309 of 2,440
Despite z7m2 having glaring issues it is a headphone that's full of character.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,310 of 2,440
FR is rather off with Z7M2 but it has very good macro dynamics and very little compression which makes them sound "alive", I can relate to real music being performed in a real room, most other cans compress too much. Not natural FR or timbre, but natural dynamics. And, yes, the timbre or sound character is like a high-end stereo system with a beefy amp and large speakers from the eighties. They sound the best on classic rock imo.

And yes, the cups could need some damping as there is a sense of resonances, I haven't done that myself, but I would expect it to be a good mod.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back