Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,636 of 2,440
When I heard z7m2 I didnt expect it to sound as totl as utopia or hd800s, I know that headphone is aimed at audience who seek fun sound and music to just chill around.

But that quick visceral bass and warm massive sound with speed simply took my attention and I said I gota have those I like it !!!

70mm driver is indeed huge, compare that to my 10mm dd in my iem LoL very huge feeling

I want to experiment with z7m2 if headphones can be my thing. But I love Tia noir best iem ever.

Also got spme love for z7m2 because it reminds me a lot my beloved tia trio which I really liked back then

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,637 of 2,440
When I heard z7m2 I didnt expect it to sound as totl as utopia or hd800s, I know that headphone is aimed at audience who seek fun sound and music to just chill around.

But that quick visceral bass and warm massive sound with speed simply took my attention and I said I gota have those I like it !!!

70mm driver is indeed huge, compare that to my 10mm dd in my iem LoL very huge feeling

I want to experiment with z7m2 if headphones can be my thing. But I love Tia noir best iem ever.

Also got spme love for z7m2 because it reminds me a lot my beloved tia trio which I really liked back then
I want some of that bass!

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,638 of 2,440
At some
I want some of that bass!

At some point I was aiming at lcd 2 closed for some time!
When I heard z7m2 I was like whaaaat that good and less expensive dang I buying it !

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,640 of 2,440
Nice I'll have to find a place online in canada that sells these.

I am in canada to didnt found no body who sells that.

I got it from adorama I guess I will be slamed with custom fees as they didnt want to undervalue the package sucks

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,641 of 2,440
Yeah it's pretty known in measurement or mod threads elsewhere.
:frowning2:

Yes, I agree. When I was modding, I was actually able to reduce the z7m2 problems, but only to encounter z1r type problems after...
:p

I am of belief that many companies are not researching as well as they should, to eliminate these ringing/decay errors that show up in CSD grapths and add to the headphones sound, instead of being clear/transparent.
Companies simply don't believe consumers need Utopia level resolution. Just a nice musical sound.

The z1r actually does have top notch resolution though.
It's just that many are distracted by its signature sound.

Anyways, none are perfect. They a have a different character, so it's a choice of preference and sytem synergy..

Well there's a reason why the Utopia's like 3x the cost. After all, if the Z1R accomplishes what the Utopia does, nobody would buy the Utopia then.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,642 of 2,440
@KuroTaka @dazzerfong @newworld666 @Tsukuyomi @CoryGillmore @jaibautista

Hi recent threaders, I'm wondering if we can band together to have the legendary audio engineer, oratory1990, borrow a z7m2 for measurement. Basically we're wondering if anyone lives near Austria and would want to temporarily send their Z7m2 in to oratory to get it measured so he can produce a parameterized EQ for the headphone. He's the primary source of EQs on popular tools such as AutoEQ, which is a database of hundreds of headphones and earphones that have measured.

I've also posted a thread in the Headphone marketplace: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wtb-sony-mdr-z7m2-rental-so-it-can-be-measured-and-eqd.934200/ which is looking for someone who wants to ship their headphones as well as a central place to track the progress of this crowd effort.

There are tons of reasons to send yours in as the EQ produced would uniquely be catered to your pair of headphones, you'd be marked in history as the sole representative of the Z7m2 in oratory1990's measurements and AutoEQ, and I'd throw in $25 for yourself. I'd do it myself but I'm very far from Austria, my Z7m2 are backordered, and those would be my first pair of high end headphones. I'm starting by tipping the person $25 to whoever will be sending the Z7m2, but I'd like to crowd fund the rest which would be about $50 for two way shipping, as well as giving a $25 tip to oratory1990, so about $75 all together. If you'd like to help please comment at this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wtb-sony-mdr-z7m2-rental-so-it-can-be-measured-and-eqd.934200/. Thanks y'all!

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,643 of 2,440
@KuroTaka @dazzerfong @newworld666 @Tsukuyomi @CoryGillmore @jaibautista

Hi recent threaders, I'm wondering if we can band together to have the legendary audio engineer, oratory1990, borrow a z7m2 for measurement. Basically we're wondering if anyone lives near Austria and would want to temporarily send their Z7m2 in to oratory to get it measured so he can produce a parameterized EQ for the headphone. He's the primary source of EQs on popular tools such as AutoEQ, which is a database of hundreds of headphones and earphones that have measured.

I've also posted a thread in the Headphone marketplace: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wtb-sony-mdr-z7m2-rental-so-it-can-be-measured-and-eqd.934200/ which is looking for someone who wants to ship their headphones as well as a central place to track the progress of this crowd effort.

There are tons of reasons to send yours in as the EQ produced would uniquely be catered to your pair of headphones, you'd be marked in history as the sole representative of the Z7m2 in oratory1990's measurements and AutoEQ, and I'd throw in $25 for yourself. I'd do it myself but I'm very far from Austria, my Z7m2 are backordered, and those would be my first pair of high end headphones. I'm starting by tipping the person $25 to whoever will be sending the Z7m2, but I'd like to crowd fund the rest which would be about $50 for two way shipping, as well as giving a $25 tip to oratory1990, so about $75 all together. If you'd like to help please comment at this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wtb-sony-mdr-z7m2-rental-so-it-can-be-measured-and-eqd.934200/. Thanks y'all!

For the record, DHL'ing it would be $298 AUD for me.

Seriously, just wait and if you hate it, send yours in. I'm hearing a lot of excuses of why you can't send it in yourself if it's that big of a deal.

On the off-chance you want to do make an EQ yourself, here you go:

https://medium.com/@jaakkopasanen/make-your-headphones-sound-supreme-1cbd567832a9

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,645 of 2,440
Are there any Z7M2 owners out there who also own a pair of Focal Clears? I was wondering how they compare. I have a pair of the Z7M2s, but it looks like I'll be sending them back, as although I LOVE the sound, my ears are heating up after 30 minutes, making them uncomfortable. It's a damn shame, as they sound soo good! I know for a fact that open-backed headphones are much more tolerable to me. I was just wondering how the two sets of headphones compare musically.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,646 of 2,440
Are there any Z7M2 owners out there who also own a pair of Focal Clears? I was wondering how they compare. I have a pair of the Z7M2s, but it looks like I'll be sending them back, as although I LOVE the sound, my ears are heating up after 30 minutes, making them uncomfortable. It's a damn shame, as they sound soo good! I know for a fact that open-backed headphones are much more tolerable to me. I was just wondering how the two sets of headphones compare musically.
Sounds like you need to stay away from leather or leather type earpads. My ears get sweaty too from all my leather ear padded headphones but I never once considered sending a pair of headphones back because they made my ears hot. I mean what are you doing in these things, doing jumping jacks or something? To me it seems a bit ridiculous to send a pair of headphones back because of a little sweat on the ears. Especially a headphone you enjoy the sound of. My LCD2C is open backed and it makes me sweat too. It's the leather.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #1,647 of 2,440
Sounds like you need to stay away from leather or leather type earpads. My ears get sweaty too from all my leather ear padded headphones but I never once considered sending a pair of headphones back because they made my ears hot. I mean what are you doing in these things, doing jumping jacks or something? To me it seems a bit ridiculous to send a pair of headphones back because of a little sweat on the ears. Especially a headphone you enjoy the sound of. My LCD2C is open backed and it makes me sweat too. It's the leather.

Maybe go with velour? Tought I heard it makes isolation worse... but so so comfy!

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,648 of 2,440
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,649 of 2,440
Velour itself isolates less because it doesn't stick as well to your head. However, velour is very rarely used for closed headphones.

Switching pads to another material is generally not a good idea as the sound tuning is fundamentally tied with the earpads. Check it out here:

https://dekoniaudio.com/frequency-response-curve-new-dekoni-sennheiser-hd600-pads/

Yea but sweaty ears and good sound or super comfy and can listen for hours?

It's almost like a game changer here

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #1,650 of 2,440
Yea but sweaty ears and good sound or super comfy and can listen for hours?

It's almost like a game changer here

Which then comes back to my original premise: just find another headphone. There are so many good headphones - makes fixing headphones a pointless cause unless you can't return them and you're stuck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back