Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Feb 26, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,292 of 2,440
Any suggestions for 4 pin XLR cable or 4.4 female to XLR 4 pin male adapter?

I own and use the three Beyerdynamic T1 cables sold by Beyer, including XLR, 3.5mm and 2.5mm. The quality is excellent.

Meze Audio’s 99 Series headphone cables also work well. The 2.5mm cable is a good value at $50. I don’t think they make an XLR cable though.

Feb 26, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,293 of 2,440
I own and use the three Beyerdynamic T1 cables sold by Beyer, including XLR, 3.5mm and 2.5mm. The quality is excellent.

Meze Audio’s 99 Series headphone cables also work well. The 2.5mm cable is a good value at $50. I don’t think they make an XLR cable though.
Aren't the Meze 99 cables 2-pole instead of 3-pole connectors on the headphone side? Will the 2-pole connectors work with our Z7m2?

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,294 of 2,440
Aren't the Meze 99 cables 2-pole instead of 3-pole connectors on the headphone side? Will the 2-pole connectors work with our Z7m2?
You're correct. They work, but it sounded like something was missing. Hard to put my finger on it, but they didn't sound quite "full" enough. In fact, I ended up selling my Meze 99 Balanced Cable on eBay.

In comparison, running the stock 4.4mm cable over my newly acquired FiiO Q5s, sounds richer/fuller.

1582772131481.png

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #1,295 of 2,440
You're correct. They work, but it sounded like something was missing. Hard to put my finger on it, but they didn't sound quite "full" enough. In fact, I ended up selling my Meze 99 Balanced Cable on eBay.

In comparison, running the stock 4.4mm cable over my newly acquired FiiO Q5s, sounds richer/fuller.

1582772131481.png

I prefer it over the stock cable. For some reason, when using the headphones with the stock cable, they kept generating static electricity which would create a shock when I touched the cable and would trigger my Schiit Bifrost 2 to mute itself, needing a reboot. After a day of that I switched to the Meze cable, which worked well. Then I discovered my Beyer cables worked and have stuck with them since.

Out of about 50 pairs of headphones and twice as many cables, I never had that static problem. It seems to be something with the material the cable is made from along with the cold, dry weather.

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,296 of 2,440
P.S. I’ve got one of those cheapo, crappy Fantasia cables as well. I much prefer the Meze cable; it’s higher quality, sounds better, and is balanced.

Since it seems all the cables I bought for my Elear work with the MDR-Z7M2, I’ve got a fair selection.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #1,299 of 2,440
After a bit of listening with my FiiO m11 balanced my first impression is that these are very pleasant headphones. With warm sound, a bit recessed mids and I think you need to spend some time with and get used to the sound signature. I like the sound and keep going back to them. My intention is to use these daily outside, at work and for commute. These are certainly not for critical listening but great for a comfortable immersive experience for very long listening hours. The only odd thing, at least with the FiiO, is that at high volumes these get alive and at low are a bit dull. currently playing at low gain and 70 volume. At 60 is dull and at 80 is great but a tad too loud. The problem is that I can’t listen loud music for long. I will spend some more time daily with my FiiO before moving on to my desktop with THX AAA789 balanced. More will follow.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,300 of 2,440
After spending some time with my TXH AAA 789 it’s obvious that these headphones need POWER. With good clean power these deploy their full potential. Frankly with the FiiO M11 was good but with the 789 is totally different (in a very good way).

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,301 of 2,440
Was a local sale on these brand new for 400€, I couldn't resist, let's hope it was worth it. I have a bias for Sony cans as the MDR-CD770 was my only can for like 20 years :D

Anyway, it will be real fun evaluating them and a nice addition to the collection!

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #1,302 of 2,440
My MDR-Z7M2 is now waiting at the pickup point, will be doing the first testing tonight :)

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #1,304 of 2,440
I have listened to them for a short while, have had to work a lot so it was as a quick inbetween. They do sound alright, dark without veil and without sibilance, total blackness between tones very little resonance from the cups. It's the kind of sound I associate with high end audio gear, nothing is tinny. They sound meaty and not starved for power. Overall very good!

My pair was manufactured in Japan 2018 with serial nr 5196, contrary to later pairs made in Thailand. They seem to have made a detour through Russia as there was a Russian sticker on them. Probably from some overstock which trickled over to the EU to be sold at a reduced price, I feel lucky to have caught the deal :)

More impressions will follow!

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,305 of 2,440
I have had the time to listen slightly more, this is the least compression in a headphone I have heard, dynamics are superior. Classic rock is immensely enhanced by this, that alone makes it a great buy! Also weak sounds like reverbs and such are better reproduced than I have heard. Exactly nothing is harsh, sibilant or edgy. Very smooth sound. This beats the HD600 in a lot of parameters, if not all, will have to do some comparisons but the Z7M2 can do some things the HD600 can't at all. Bass is also very good, best rendition of bass drums I have heard not a bit over the top like the 1AM2 but just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back