Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,321 of 2,440
I found the Amiron overpriced. I had that and the Z7M2 and decided to return the Amiron. I actually still have the beyerdynamic Custom Game and prefer that over the Amiron as it relates to price/performance. I'm a closed back guy, so I also prefer the DT 1770 over the Amiron Home (which is an open back).

So, the question really becomes open or closed back. Personally, I've never preferred open back headphones, even though I have some (Drop + HIFIMAN HE4XX).
I have both Amiron versions, the closed and open back. I also prefer closed back too. I guess I have to get the Z7M2 to try it out or leave it and stick to my Beyers and Meze 99 Classics. They've never disappoint me tho.

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,322 of 2,440
I have both Amiron versions, the closed and open back. I also prefer closed back too. I guess I have to get the Z7M2 to try it out or leave it and stick to my Beyers and Meze 99 Classics. They've never disappoint me tho.
I would recommend the Z7M2 as an addition to your collection. They are all different and will provide you a new wrinkle and a different sound signature. What's better is relative, it's really what you prefer. I enjoy the Z7M2 quite a bit and it scales well, so for me, it's my top closed back in the $600ish price range.

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,323 of 2,440
I found the Amiron overpriced. I had that and the Z7M2 and decided to return the Amiron. I actually still have the beyerdynamic Custom Game and prefer that over the Amiron as it relates to price/performance. I'm a closed back guy, so I also prefer the DT 1770 over the Amiron Home (which is an open back).

So, the question really becomes open or closed back. Personally, I've never preferred open back headphones, even though I have some (Drop + HIFIMAN HE4XX).
You shoud demo the LCD2C. I just picked one up over the weekend and I also tend to prefer closed backs and IEMs because of their thick and impactful bass reproduction. The LCD2C is the closest I've heard an open back get. It's really quite good!

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,324 of 2,440
You shoud demo the LCD2C. I just picked one up over the weekend and I also tend to prefer closed backs and IEMs because of their thick and impactful bass reproduction. The LCD2C is the closest I've heard an open back get. It's really quite good!
A lot of us don't have a way to demo the Audeze. Can you give us your impressions of the LCD2C compared to the Z7m2?

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #1,325 of 2,440
I would recommend the Z7M2 as an addition to your collection. They are all different and will provide you a new wrinkle and a different sound signature. What's better is relative, it's really what you prefer. I enjoy the Z7M2 quite a bit and it scales well, so for me, it's my top closed back in the $600ish price range.
I guess I have to torture my wallet (again) But yes, exactly my thought as all the headphones are different. So indeed a nice new one to my collection.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #1,326 of 2,440
A lot of us don't have a way to demo the Audeze. Can you give us your impressions of the LCD2C compared to the Z7m2?
Yeah I didn't demo it either. Actually the only can I've ever tried before I bought was the 1AM2. Which blew me away in Best Buy.

The LCD2C is dark, thick/luscious. I think if you like the Sony house sound, Audeze is right there with it. I haven't listened to my Z7 or Z7M2 since I got my LCD2C so I can't compare directly. But if you like the Z7M2 I think you'll like the LCD2C

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #1,327 of 2,440
I caught headphone-addiction... How is the Z7M2 compared to Amiron Home/Wireless and T5p.2? According to some reviews it's overpriced. Is that true?

I have the original Z7 to which I no longer listen.
I also have the Amiron Home now, for the second time,
The first time - about six months ago - I returned them in favor of the dt1990.

This time I'm keeping them; I like their sound very much.

BTW my Amiron Home are the wired version.
I've not heard the wireless version.

The Z7M2 and AH are quite different from each other.

The main difference to me is that the amiron has more bass
and slightly less treble.
The AH also have a marvelous texture to them
that I've not heard before from any headphone and really am not
able to describe. I guess I could say it's a type of warmth, maybe
a somewhat "tube" sound.

The AH soundstage is deeper and wider, but not as much as one might think
since the AH as we know is open and the Sony is closed. --Though the Sony
has so many vents in the earcups that IMO it could reasonably be called "semi-open"..

Also, as comfortable as the Sony is (very}, the Beyer is even more so.
I don't imagine anyone saying either is uncomfortable to wear
for any length of time.

The AH are wired with the original cables while the Sony I have are wired with
Kimber Kable which I bought direct from Sony.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,328 of 2,440
I don't have the Z7M2 but I have both the original Z7 and the LCD2C, they sound about the same the Z7 can loose it bass on certain songs, but am talking about Rap which is all heavy bass, I take the Sony close-back over the LCD2C.

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #1,329 of 2,440
I don't have the Z7M2 but I have both the original Z7 and the LCD2C, they sound about the same the Z7 can loose it bass on certain songs, but am talking about Rap which is all heavy bass, I take the Sony close-back over the LCD2C.
The original Z7 does have some of the most impactful and satisfying bass I’ve ever heard in a headphone. Many people say it’s distorted, flabby and bleeds into the mids. I’m not one of those people. I think it’s a great headphone. I go back and forth between it and the Z7M2 on which I like more. I am thoroughly enjoying the LCD2C at the moment too. We’ll see once the new wears off which I really prefer. Too soon and too biased right now to be honest with myself. Plus I haven’t done much back and forth comparing, really just mainly using the Audeze right now.

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,330 of 2,440
The original Z7 does have some of the most impactful and satisfying bass I’ve ever heard in a headphone. Many people say it’s distorted, flabby and bleeds into the mids. I’m not one of those people. I think it’s a great headphone. I go back and forth between it and the Z7M2 on which I like more. I am thoroughly enjoying the LCD2C at the moment too. We’ll see once the new wears off which I really prefer. Too soon and too biased right now to be honest with myself. Plus I haven’t done much back and forth comparing, really just mainly using the Audeze right now.
Classic "new girl" syndrome. It wears off. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #1,331 of 2,440
Have had the Z7M2 for a few days now, can't say I have found anything that doesn't sound great. This is very close to my ideal SQ, only big improvement I can think of is if they where wireless :)

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,332 of 2,440

On the Z7, the sound improves the older the ear cushions get. When I first got the Z7 the bass was loose. Mids felt distant and highs were rolled off. Then after about a year the Z7 started to sound better. After 2 years they sounded phenomenal. Bass was better controlled. Highs has sparkle. Mids more balanced and vocals sounded more natural... This month I finally decided to change the original pads for a new replacement OEM set. The reason for the swap was because one pad had compressed too much which caused my ear lobe to contact the clothes covered driver grill. It was annoyance. The pads were physically intact with no damage to the leather. Immediately, and to my disappointment, I noticed an abrupt change in the sound signature with the new pads. This is when I realized how sensitive the Z7 is to ear cushion wear. The new cushions are naturally less compressible than the older ones they replaced which means the driver is further away from the ear canal than would be the case with 'broken in' ear cushions.

It's been almost two weeks now with the new cushions and the sound has improved but it still has ways to go.

I think many people especially reviewers who dismissed the Z7 would have a different opinion if they heard a Z7 with broken in pads.

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #1,334 of 2,440
it is well known that on dynamics headphones the pads can change dramatically the sound, for example Campfire Cascade made new pads and they sound way way better now.
And yes' you are totally right - there will be a difference in sound between your old pads and the new one, so my previous suggestion is not a joke.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,335 of 2,440
Yeah I didn't demo it either. Actually the only can I've ever tried before I bought was the 1AM2. Which blew me away in Best Buy.

The LCD2C is dark, thick/luscious. I think if you like the Sony house sound, Audeze is right there with it. I haven't listened to my Z7 or Z7M2 since I got my LCD2C so I can't compare directly. But if you like the Z7M2 I think you'll like the LCD2C

Thanks for the feedback on the LCS2C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back