Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #886 of 2,440
I’m really enjoying the Z7M2! Being able to directly compare the Z7 and the Z7M2 has been interesting. I do believe the Z7M2 is a better all round headphone. You can really pick out that shouty peak the Z7 has in certain tracks. It’s almost painful. No such peaks with the M2 for me. Just a smoother all around experience. And honestly, I don’t think the Z7 has much more bass than the M2. The Z7 is kinda known as a bass head can but the M2 hangs right there with it!

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #887 of 2,440
I'll believe you will, especially with Kimber Kable upgrade is another level or two up. Enjoy!
What makes you think he's getting a Kimber to go with it? I don't know if you were referring to the Kimber he has for his 1A in his siganture, which I believe is single sided and won't work with the Z7M2.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #888 of 2,440
What makes you think he's getting a Kimber to go with it? I don't know if you were referring to the Kimber he has for his 1A in his siganture, which I believe is single sided and won't work with the Z7M2.
Since you've said he have a Kimber with his 1A, I don't see the reason why he not getting one for his new Z7M2.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #889 of 2,440
Does Kimber really make that huge of a difference? It's around 50% of the price of the headphone and I'm very doubtful the cable could make any discernable difference. It looks so pretty that I'm very willing to be persuaded though...

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #890 of 2,440
I’m really enjoying the Z7M2! Being able to directly compare the Z7 and the Z7M2 has been interesting. I do believe the Z7M2 is a better all round headphone. You can really pick out that shouty peak the Z7 has in certain tracks. It’s almost painful. No such peaks with the M2 for me. Just a smoother all around experience. And honestly, I don’t think the Z7 has much more bass than the M2. The Z7 is kinda known as a bass head can but the M2 hangs right there with it!
Didn't you say that you had the Z7M2 before but returned and replaced it with IER-M9s because you didn't enjoy them, or did that change?

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #891 of 2,440

Since you've said he have a Kimber with his 1A, I don't see the reason why he not getting one for his new Z7M2.
The cable I have for my 1A isn't Kimber unfortunately, it's just the standard braided one. I may upgrade to Kimber for my Z7M2s though, not sure. I suppose it depends how much I like it with stock

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #892 of 2,440
Didn't you say that you had the Z7M2 before but returned and replaced it with IER-M9s because you didn't enjoy them, or did that change?
Oh I enjoyed them, just not full retail $900 enjoy them lol. I'm glad I was able to get reacquainted with them at a much lower buy in. Because they are a good can.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #893 of 2,440
Does Kimber really make that huge of a difference? It's around 50% of the price of the headphone and I'm very doubtful the cable could make any discernable difference. It looks so pretty that I'm very willing to be persuaded though...
A292314D-6D94-4180-87EE-AE387E8103AC.jpeg
It’s definitely pretty! As for sonic differences? Man I don’t know. Sometimes I feel like yes, sometimes I feel like meh. It’s definitely not as portable and compact as the stock 4.4 cable.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #894 of 2,440
It’s definitely pretty! As for sonic differences? Man I don’t know. Sometimes I feel like yes, sometimes I feel like meh. It’s definitely not as portable and compact as the stock 4.4 cable.
Do you have anything more power to drive them than the ZX300? They really come to their own with the PHA3 and above. Not even the 1Z can drive properly let alone the ZX300. You owe it to yourself to hear them with properly amplification.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #895 of 2,440
Do you have anything more power to drive them than the ZX300? They really come to their own with the PHA3 and above. Not even the 1Z can drive properly let alone the ZX300. You owe it to yourself to hear them with properly amplification.

Does a RME ADI-2-DAC count? Honestly, you don't need absurd amounts of power, they're no HD600s with their insane impedance swing.

Does it hurt? Nope. Does it do anything? Not really TBH..........

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #896 of 2,440
Don't doubt before you try it.

The Z7M2 with Kimber really make a difference and the money really well spent. It open up the sound stage by 2 level up. The reason I said 2 level up, cos if it is only 1 level up, it's kind like hard to tell immediate different especially playing different tracks. But with 2 levels up mean you can hear the immediate difference whatever tracks you listening to. Also heard immediate different on, high is more airiness, lively, mid and bass response more cleaner with bass added clean weight.

The best thing, Z7M2 with Kimber now you can have open back headphones like soundstage quality on outdoor usage, which my old Audeze LCD2 still an indoor quiet room listening headphone only.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #897 of 2,440
Don't doubt before you try it.

The Z7M2 with Kimber really make a difference and the money really well spent. It open up the sound stage by 2 level up. The reason I said 2 level up, cos if it is only 1 level up, it's kind like hard to tell immediate different especially playing different tracks. But with 2 levels up mean you can hear the immediate difference whatever tracks you listening to. Also heard immediate different on, high is more airiness, lively, mid and bass response more cleaner with bass added clean weight.

The best thing, Z7M2 with Kimber now you can have open back headphones like soundstage quality on outdoor usage, which my old Audeze LCD2 still an indoor quiet room listening headphone only.
Do you have both cables and did you compare them? I think to buy a kimber cable, but I don’t know if there will be a big difference in sound.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #899 of 2,440
Does a RME ADI-2-DAC count? Honestly, you don't need absurd amounts of power, they're no HD600s with their insane impedance swing.

Does it hurt? Nope. Does it do anything? Not really TBH..........

it isn’t about the loudness you know. The PHA3 warmer and bassy to tonal balanced just seem to work really well with the Z7 M2 in my experience. zX300 is plenty loud enough but it isn’t as expansive or as layered compared to something like the PHA3 which has one of the biggest and deepest soundstaging from a portable device. I think your RME will do fine too. What I am trying to say just don’t judge the performance of the Z7 m2 from the ZX300 that’s all.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #900 of 2,440
Do you have both cables and did you compare them? I think to buy a kimber cable, but I don’t know if there will be a big difference in sound.
Unfortunately both cable plugs not the same can't swap them just like that. Don't know your definition for big difference how big you need it to be, but I have a fewRSS ppl can't tell a difference between a 320kpbs mp3 in Bluetooth connection and a wave file with same headphone wired directly plug into same dap, I was like huh? Seriously you guys?

I'm a guy into Audiophile. If I bought a cable that do nothing, I will tell everyone who ask, coz I don't want others to be the victim of useless accessories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back