Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #661 of 2,440
so i just double checked and with currency rate between the u.s. and canada. 598.99 USA is basically 803.932 CND.. an on amazon canada its selling for 898.99$... so... might as well just pay 100$ more but get it from amazon instead of accessoryjack which im not familiar with. and will end up paying more fees for shipping + duty.
True, but I live in the US so fortunately it won't be $800 for me. I'm sure Accessoryjack is safe so I'm fine with purchasing stuff from them.

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #663 of 2,440
I tried MDR-Z7M2 at one Sony store today & tested it using WM1A & ZX300.. It sure is a big headphone compared to my MDR-1AM2 and it's very comfortable to put on.. Regarding sound quality, the bass is very controlled, not that punchy.. Vocals tend stay at the back, a slightly clearer mids would be nice.. While the treble quite rolled off, a bit more presence & brilliance would be much preferred.. Soundstage is good, wider than my much cheaper MDR-1AM2.. USD600 is quite tempting though - luckily I don't have that kind of money now .. :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #664 of 2,440
Would you guys say the Z7M2 (or the Z7) is worth the money when paired with the ZX300? I've briefly heard the Z7 around 8 months back, and to me it sounded like an improved version of the 1A, but I was unable to decide if the price was justified. Any thoughts?
Definitely Z7M2 ...

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #665 of 2,440
I may end up picking the z7m2 over the elegia. Focals headphone range sounds a little too similar across headphones, with some changes far and few between them. To me the z7m2 may seem like a completely different headphone where the sound would be very diffirent from what im accustomed to..

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #666 of 2,440
I may end up picking the z7m2 over the elegia. Focals headphone range sounds a little too similar across headphones, with some changes far and few between them. To me the z7m2 may seem like a completely different headphone where the sound would be very diffirent from what im accustomed to..
Why don't you just try some out on Amazon.ca and if you don't like them, return them? I remain convinced of the splendid interplay between the Z7M2 and the ADI-2 Dac. With Roon running it all, I really have no desire whatsoever to upgrade or tweak again.

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #667 of 2,440
You didn't like them?
It's not that I don't like them. I have too many headphones, so I ended up passing them on to someone who could utilize them better than I. They were a gift from work. Pretty sweet deal for the fella who snagged them

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #668 of 2,440
Received international version yesterday for $600 from amazon.

Initial impressions are bellow.
My current headphones are Custom Studio (modded DT 770) from e10k with bass boost, and EQ-ed 1000xm3.

Build: looks fancy and impressive comparing to plasticky Custom Studio and 1000XM3.
Comfort: feels heavier than my other headphones. Earcaps comfort is good but they may be warmer comparing to valuer. I feel some pressure from headband comparing to nimble Custom Studio.
Sound: initially I was disappointed because of much less airness comparing to Custom Studio and 1000xm3 sound, but as time goes I see appeal in smooth, thick, batter-like sound and started enjoying it.
Also EQing mids helps to make vocals more prominent, because they sound recessed in some songs.

I bought this to use in office for prolonged hours of listening, because Custom Studio are too harsh and fatiguing at times.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #670 of 2,440
Received international version yesterday for $600 from amazon.

Initial impressions are bellow.
My current headphones are Custom Studio (modded DT 770) from e10k with bass boost, and EQ-ed 1000xm3.

Build: looks fancy and impressive comparing to plasticky Custom Studio and 1000XM3.
Comfort: feels heavier than my other headphones. Earcaps comfort is good but they may be warmer comparing to valuer. I feel some pressure from headband comparing to nimble Custom Studio.
Sound: initially I was disappointed because of much less airness comparing to Custom Studio and 1000xm3 sound, but as time goes I see appeal in smooth, thick, batter-like sound and started enjoying it.
Also EQing mids helps to make vocals more prominent, because they sound recessed in some songs.

I bought this to use in office for prolonged hours of listening, because Custom Studio are too harsh and fatiguing at times.
Thanks for your review on Z7M2.. I was considering of getting one later (not immediately).. But since you mentioned about recessed mids (vocals), that's quite a low point, a disappointment, I must admit.. In my humble opinion, good headphones should never be EQed especially when playing DSD files.. I would rate how good a headphone is based on how it comes out of factory, not with DSP adjustments..

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #671 of 2,440
Thanks for your review on Z7M2.. I was considering of getting one later (not immediately).. But since you mentioned about recessed mids (vocals), that's quite a low point, a disappointment, I must admit.. In my humble opinion, good headphones should never be EQed especially when playing DSD files.. I would rate how good a headphone is based on how it comes out of factory, not with DSP adjustments..
As I mentioned I have 2 other headphones, and I EDed them both to get best sound:
- DT770 is too bright and fatiguing in my taste, and needed bath boost
- 1000XM3 has too moody bath

What headphones you have/consider which doesn't need EQ? Especially closed back?

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #672 of 2,440

I beg to differ. The vocal on my Z7 is fine by me. I don't use stock cable so that may explain why. I still love this phones. It pairs quite great with the CMA600i.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #673 of 2,440
I beg to differ. The vocal on my Z7 is fine by me. I don't use stock cable so that may explain why. I still love this phones. It pairs quite great with the CMA600i.
Curious if Z7 different from Z7M2 in this regards.
Several people noticed the same.

Also some people say that Z7M2 provide more instrumental details, like finger snapping etc, I suspect it may be partially because vocals are recessed and other sounds are more noticeable.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #674 of 2,440
As I mentioned I have 2 other headphones, and I EDed them both to get best sound:
- DT770 is too bright and fatiguing in my taste, and needed bath boost
- 1000XM3 has too moody bath

What headphones you have/consider which doesn't need EQ? Especially closed back?
Well, my MDR-1AM2 doesn't need EQ when I listen to DSD & FLAC 24-bit files.. My XBA-N1AP earbuds are more or less like that as well.. When I tested 1000XM3 few times few months back, yes this model definitely needs EQ. ..

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #675 of 2,440
Well, my MDR-1AM2 doesn't need EQ when I listen to DSD & FLAC 24-bit files.. My XBA-N1AP earbuds are more or less like that as well.. When I tested X1000M3 few times few months back, yes this model definitely needs EQ. ..
I agree about 1AM2, I enjoyed sound signature out of the box too.
So in my humble opinion (your ears may be different) Z7M2 sounds unusual, and may be risky choice for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back