Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #646 of 2,440
Can anyone tell me the size of the drivers in the Sony MDR Z7 MK2? are they 70mm? i'm just looking for clarification.
The drivers are 70mm / 2.76inch

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #647 of 2,440
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #648 of 2,440
The drivers are 70mm / 2.76inch
Okay thanks, I was just hoping that someone who owns them could clarify this. I've never owned a headphone with drivers any bigger than 55mm, so i'm tempted to try the Z7 MK2. One thing i've learned is that the bigger the drivers, the more spacious the sound. I've been listening to some classical music with my MDR7510 and the soundstage and imaging is already very good for that kind of music, I cannot imagine anything better, however it seems like the Z7 MK2 would be the natural step up from the MDR7510.

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #649 of 2,440
Would you guys say the Z7M2 (or the Z7) is worth the money when paired with the ZX300? I've briefly heard the Z7 around 8 months back, and to me it sounded like an improved version of the 1A, but I was unable to decide if the price was justified. Any thoughts?

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #650 of 2,440
Would you guys say the Z7M2 (or the Z7) is worth the money when paired with the ZX300? I've briefly heard the Z7 around 8 months back, and to me it sounded like an improved version of the 1A, but I was unable to decide if the price was justified. Any thoughts?
From what iv'e been told, the Z7m2 is better than the Z7 when its paired with the WM1A and WM1Z, so im assuming the zx300 will be better with the Z7m2.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #651 of 2,440
From what iv'e been told, the Z7m2 is better than the Z7 when its paired with the WM1A and WM1Z, so im assuming the zx300 will be better with the Z7m2.
Huh, that's some interesting info. Would you say it's worth $600 on AccessoryJack, or even at the MSRP of $900?

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #652 of 2,440
Huh, that's some interesting info. Would you say it's worth $600 on AccessoryJack, or even at the MSRP of $900?
Well i was deciding on either getting the ZX300 or the A&K SR15. I would always say try to get a deal, pay less if you can, but never buy used. I only ever buy new! (except for cars obviously lol $$$$$) but when it comes to audio, i only buy new. if you can get it for 600$ new, grab it. if not, 900$ may be your only option if you're buying it straight from Sony.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #653 of 2,440
Well i was deciding on either getting the ZX300 or the A&K SR15. I would always say try to get a deal, pay less if you can, but never buy used. I only ever buy new! (except for cars obviously lol $$$$$) but when it comes to audio, i only buy new. if you can get it for 600$ new, grab it. if not, 900$ may be your only option if you're buying it straight from Sony.
If I were to consider getting a pair of these, I wouldn't have to worry about buying these used as somehow they're being sold new for a little under $600. Pretty good steal, but if there's another pair that sounds better at a cheaper price then I might as well go for those instead.
Screenshot_20190319-125945_Chrome.jpg

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #654 of 2,440
hmmmm, well that seems like a good deal then.
In my city its still full price $899.99 for them. so i can either wait until it drops in price "globally" or buy it now for full price... its gonna end up costing me.. $1,035$ :frowning2: after tax..

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #655 of 2,440

exactly, sound signature is very similar to 1A. I've owen z7m2 for roughly 5 months, about 150 hours of music and more hours on movies, the difference I noticed so far (z7m2 compared to itself) is tighter bass, mids a bit more forward.
1A has more boomy bass, z7m2 has more bass impact if that makes sense. I hear more details in SOME of my music on z7m2, with other music it's not a matter of more resolution on z7m2 but rather better management of sounds. Instruments sound crammed on 1A, while they're well separated on z7m2 which also makes imaging much better. In a movie for example, while people in a room, the ambient sounds outside the room is very audible on z7m2.
overall,
z7m2, relaxing, pushed back sound, smooth bass, amazing low end, suit anything, music movies even gaming is great.
1A, engaging, in your face presentation, a lot of bass, they force bass on anything you play, really great resolution for 150$.

is Z7M2 worth the extra price?
up to you, the sound in my opinion is 20 - 25% better in a matter of details/resolution. however, sound presentation is different, you might like 1A more!.
900$ is certainly a waste of money while you can get 80% of that sweet sony sound on 1A or 1Am2 for less than 200$.

for me personally, I've bought z7m2 for 500$ (ebay),(ahhhh and I think it's too much money). I like them more because I can turn up the volume without a certain frequency hurting my ears, I've no complaints.
just over an hour on 1A, they get sweaty, besides, my ears need a break from the exaggerated bass.

if you use headphones for <2 hours, 1A is more than enough.

for me, at least 5 hours a day, z2m2 gives my ears the room and gentle sound presentation they need.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #656 of 2,440
exactly, sound signature is very similar to 1A. I've owen z7m2 for roughly 5 months, about 150 hours of music and more hours on movies, the difference I noticed so far (z7m2 compared to itself) is tighter bass, mids a bit more forward.
1A has more boomy bass, z7m2 has more bass impact if that makes sense. I hear more details in SOME of my music on z7m2, with other music it's not a matter of more resolution on z7m2 but rather better management of sounds. Instruments sound crammed on 1A, while they're well separated on z7m2 which also makes imaging much better. In a movie for example, while people in a room, the ambient sounds outside the room is very audible on z7m2.
overall,
z7m2, relaxing, pushed back sound, smooth bass, amazing low end, suit anything, music movies even gaming is great.
1A, engaging, in your face presentation, a lot of bass, they force bass on anything you play, really great resolution for 150$.

is Z7M2 worth the extra price?
up to you, the sound in my opinion is 20 - 25% better in a matter of details/resolution. however, sound presentation is different, you might like 1A more!.
900$ is certainly a waste of money while you can get 80% of that sweet sony sound on 1A or 1Am2 for less than 200$.

for me personally, I've bought z7m2 for 500$ (ebay),(ahhhh and I think it's too much money). I like them more because I can turn up the volume without a certain frequency hurting my ears, I've no complaints.
just over an hour on 1A, they get sweaty, besides, my ears need a break from the exaggerated bass.

if you use headphones for <2 hours, 1A is more than enough.

for me, at least 5 hours a day, z2m2 gives my ears the room and gentle sound presentation they need.
Damn, thanks for the comparison! Yea I figured the Z7M2s might be a overpriced at $900, but as I did mention previously Accessoryjack does sell them at $600 instead so that's a little better. There are likely other headphones out there that give better bang for your buck, but the reason why I'm leaning towards the Z7 is because I won't have to worry about the sound signature, since it'll basically be what I'm familiar with and enjoying.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #657 of 2,440
Anyone looking to get a really good deal on these? My Z7M2’s just came in the mail today,
They’re still wrapped in factory plastic. I have too many cans, so I’d like to pass them on. Let’s talk, Shoot me a PM. $500

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #658 of 2,440
Has anyone noticed any differences (major or minor) after burn-in? I started listening to mine right out of the box and I'm still under 50 hours.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #659 of 2,440
Has anyone noticed any differences (major or minor) after burn-in? I started listening to mine right out of the box and I'm still under 50 hours.
people have said it takes "200 hours" but from speaking with a mate of mine whos a structural and material engineer. he said when it comes to sonic vibrations on the crystal coated driver, he did say it would make it much stiffer but should reach normal flexing under use after 48hours if nothing has changed in sound after that short a time. its just your ears conditioning themselfs to the sound thats set already.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #660 of 2,440
If I were to consider getting a pair of these, I wouldn't have to worry about buying these used as somehow they're being sold new for a little under $600. Pretty good steal, but if there's another pair that sounds better at a cheaper price then I might as well go for those instead.
so i just double checked and with currency rate between the u.s. and canada. 598.99 USA is basically 803.932 CND.. an on amazon canada its selling for 898.99$... so... might as well just pay 100$ more but get it from amazon instead of accessoryjack which im not familiar with. and will end up paying more fees for shipping + duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back