Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #616 of 2,441
My experience with other Audio Technica cans is that the sound is entirely different from this Sony line. Much more of a neutral, reference, studio tuning.
this, my Audio Technicas "solid bass" wanna be sound flat and neutral except for a bit of emphasis on bass.

http://www.accessoryjack.com/

Currently has these for $609.00. I purchased my pair from them in November 2018 for $668.00. This is about as cheap as I've seen them. Good luck.

you're late to the party, I bought them for 500$ shipped last Nov.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry if this video was posted before, very interesting sound comparison please skip to 13.30.

Z1r sound more forward, Z7 sound horrible, z7m2 sound the best on my z7m2s :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #617 of 2,441
I actually heard these last evening at a Best Buy Magnolia location. They were driven by the Sony Hi Resolution $698 player plus a separate Sony portable amp. I liked what I heard.
As do I. I am sadly shipping them out today (I am selling my friends set). Very nice headphones for sure. I wish that I was keeping them!

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #618 of 2,441
The whole CanJam and other contenders, I would grab Z7 m2 if I actually needed a closed back that could serve me well in an affordable high performance category. But I don’t, atm, I have too many gears already, and nothing at CanJam jumped out at me

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #619 of 2,441
this, my Audio Technicas "solid bass" wanna be sound flat and neutral except for a bit of emphasis on bass.

you're late to the party, I bought them for 500$ shipped last Nov.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry if this video was posted before, very interesting sound comparison please skip to 13.30.

Z1r sound more forward, Z7 sound horrible, z7m2 sound the best on my z7m2s :L3000:

Where did you buy them for 500 ?

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #621 of 2,441
He mentions that new $1,250 Audio Technica flagship closed. Just Googled it. Not out yet but looks promising as a Z1R competitor for a lot less.
Yeah he just put up a snip of impression for it. Sounds like its not even in the same ballpark with the sound sig of the two Sony's flagships hahah.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #622 of 2,441
Hello everyone, so im just a bit curious.
why do so many people give negative reviews for the Z7M2. is there a particular reason why?
all im hearing is that people say it doesnt sound as good as the first iteration or not worth it when you can buy sonys higher end z1r.

surely these cans are good and not a waste of money?

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #623 of 2,441
I personally like mine better than the first version. A lot nicer and more even frequency balanced. The Z7 and Z1R have too much bass for me and my preference goes toward the Z7 M2.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #624 of 2,441
I personally like mine better than the first version. A lot nicer and more even frequency balanced. The Z7 and Z1R have too much bass for me and my preference goes toward the Z7 M2.
how would you say they stack up against other similar closed back cans? i know people say these cans are more for relaxing and not really mastering/mixing/analytical listening. but im a bit curious about these cans as im looking for a pair of closed backs i can just relax in. currently the only closed backs i have are my B&O H6 which i use for outside/transit/travel.
I was also looking at the Focal Elegia and Audeze LCD2Closed. not sure if you've tried thoes as well ?

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #625 of 2,441
I can't comment against the above headphones. I personally like it just as much as the Aeon Closed Flow....again, we all hear differently and prefer different sound signature.

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #626 of 2,441
how would you say they stack up against other similar closed back cans? i know people say these cans are more for relaxing and not really mastering/mixing/analytical listening. but im a bit curious about these cans as im looking for a pair of closed backs i can just relax in. currently the only closed backs i have are my B&O H6 which i use for outside/transit/travel.
I was also looking at the Focal Elegia and Audeze LCD2Closed. not sure if you've tried thoes as well ?

I've made several posts here about the Z7, Z7M2, and Audeze LCD2 Closed Backs. Here are a couple excerpts:

I found the Z7 too dark, and upgraded to the Audeze LCD2 Closed Backs. I preferred the LCD2 Closed Backs' sound, and would have stayed with them if the Z7M2 hadn't appeared. To me that Audeze and the Z7M2 sound similar, but the Audeze bass is rougher and more "slamming", while the bass in both Sony models is smoother and I find it much more pleasurable. (Another factor was the size and weight of the LCD2 Closed, which is less of a concern if you're looking at the LCD2C, but all Audeze models are big.)

The LCD2 Closed Back of course have a wider sound stage, because they are ginormous! :) They are so heavy, I usually take them off in less than an hour. I can wear the Z7 or Z7M2 for hours and hours, although on a hot day all of them can get a bit stickier than cans with velour pads like my Beyers and Senns. Anyway the LCD2-CB sound stage is not that much better, as they are of course closed backs. To me the sound stage and imaging on all of these are are close enough.

Do I find the LCD2 Closed way better than the Z7? Well, I got them as an upgrade from the Z7 because I found the Z7 too dark, and yes the sound was way better for me in many ways, but then I got the Z7M2 and fell in love. The Z7M2 fix all the problems of the Z7 while retaining everything I like. The Audeze bass is rougher and more slamming, the mids and treble a bit harsher. The Sony sound is smooth and incredibly pleasant.

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #627 of 2,441
Do you guys know if the pads on the Sony Z7m2 are glued on or replaceable ? they look like it might go flat after a year of normal use.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #628 of 2,441
I think I gave you my thoughts on all this before. You just give the Z7M2's a go. As mentioned before, the ADI-2 DAC/Z7M2 combo is really nice. I've been listening to it all week via Roon. I't s a combo that doesn't have me tweaking anything or reaching for my other headphones. Just works super well and makes for a very immersive experience in the music rather than in the gear.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #629 of 2,441
I think I gave you my thoughts on all this before. You just give the Z7M2's a go. As mentioned before, the ADI-2 DAC/Z7M2 combo is really nice. I've been listening to it all week via Roon. I't s a combo that doesn't have me tweaking anything or reaching for my other headphones. Just works super well and makes for a very immersive experience in the music rather than in the gear.
Yeah i remember, i cant demo the sonys in my city since no shop carrys them. However later this month an audio convention is gonna show up and if sony is there ill def give them a listen. My above question is more concerning pads as i hopped they were replaceable if damaged over time. But it looks like thats not a possibility. Ive narrowed my choice between the z7m2 and focal elegia. Ive reread all the old quotes mentioned by people on this thread and im trying to find even more sources of comparison. Its good to do some research before dropping a lot of money into it. The resell audio community in my city is almost non-existent.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #630 of 2,441
Hello everyone, so im just a bit curious.
why do so many people give negative reviews for the Z7M2. is there a particular reason why?
all im hearing is that people say it doesnt sound as good as the first iteration or not worth it when you can buy sonys higher end z1r.

surely these cans are good and not a waste of money?

That is a good question. I have not heard them but they seem very attractive to me. The build quality looks excellent. It seems that they have a particular sound signature that some reviewers do not like - scooped our upper range with elevated top octave. I would like to read more reviews. I would also like to find them for less than $600, as has been reported......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back