Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #601 of 2,440
I own the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and have a pair of the Focal Elegia on loan.

The long and short of it is that the Sony is a more laid back headphone and offers a very easy on the ears presentation. The Elegia, to me, offers a very exciting presentation. The sound really jumps out at you. They have a lovely sparkle to them.

I hate to say this...but I think they both have a great place. They are very different. One not better than the other just different.
20190211_145306.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #602 of 2,440
He mentions that new $1,250 Audio Technica flagship closed. Just Googled it. Not out yet but looks promising as a Z1R competitor for a lot less.
I am glad that AT is back at full force in highend headphones game. Usually the "Ti" version is more or less a limited closed back model.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #603 of 2,440
He mentions that new $1,250 Audio Technica flagship closed. Just Googled it. Not out yet but looks promising as a Z1R competitor for a lot less.

My experience with other Audio Technica cans is that the sound is entirely different from this Sony line. Much more of a neutral, reference, studio tuning.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #604 of 2,440
My experience with other Audio Technica cans is that the sound is entirely different from this Sony line. Much more of a neutral, reference, studio tuning.

The Sony of old is much more neutral compared to the Sony of now though. The Z7 M2 kinds of steer back toward that sense of neutral. AT phones that I have tried (L3000, W2002, A100Ti, 11JPN, 10VTG, and W5000) are all very nice but are more boxy sounding with forward presentation. Well, the W2002, and L3000 were my favorites.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #606 of 2,440
I have been reading as much as I can find about the Z7m2's. I really like their build quality and the way they look. I would like to buy a pair of good quality closed back headphones. I have narrowed my selection list down to these and the Focal Elegia's. I have not seen much regarding comparing the two and would appreciate any comments. Thanks. Also, I cannot find a price on new Elegia's less than $900 while I can find the Sony's for about $630.

And where, if I may ask, have you found the Z7m2's for $630?
That is an extreeemely attractive price, at least to me.

Many thanks, if you care to share...

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #607 of 2,440
Shame, I literally sold an absolutely as new Z7M2 for $750 Canadian! I prefer to sell in Canada as PayPal is less optimum than a direct transfer into my bank account which takes all of 3 minutes within Canada. Good luck finding a solid deal soon.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #608 of 2,440
And where, if I may ask, have you found the Z7m2's for $630?
That is an extreeemely attractive price, at least to me.

Many thanks, if you care to share...

No problem ------ They were on ebay last week - brand new - excellent seller - Don't know if they are still there. There were two pair left. I was very tempted but purchased a pair of Elegia's instead. I might get the Sony's later.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #611 of 2,440
I own the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and have a pair of the Focal Elegia on loan.

The long and short of it is that the Sony is a more laid back headphone and offers a very easy on the ears presentation. The Elegia, to me, offers a very exciting presentation. The sound really jumps out at you. The have a lovely sparkle to them.

I hate to say this...but I think they both have a great place. They are very different. One not better than the other just different.

This is excellent information for me. I was seriously considering both headphones. I finally decided on the Elegia's. They will be delivered tomorrow. I am still interested in the Z7M2's, particularly in light of your comments.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #612 of 2,440
Of course you'll have to pay air shipping from Hong Kong. I think that was about $40.00 for me. More depending on where you live. But it's still a pretty good deal.
Shame, I literally sold an absolutely as new Z7M2 for $750 Canadian! I prefer to sell in Canada as PayPal is less optimum than a direct transfer into my bank account which takes all of 3 minutes within Canada. Good luck finding a solid deal soon.

Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back