Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 2, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #91 of 2,440
Warm n' fuzzy has never been a signature that I've much cared for, but I do realize that there are many who do.
I agree with you some of us do like a warm headphone, however I am one that don't find them fuzzy. It all boils down to how our ears hears sound and also our listening chain, amps dac and so on.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #94 of 2,440
I'm kinda worried those are shipped from China. I wonder if the store is an authorized reseller at all because of warranty concerns.
I posted the link just to show the price, as there was speculation about what was the price going to be. I have never bought anything from Accessory Jack , so I have no opinion. I am sure there have been members here that have. I would use the search for such info, also a email to them should help.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #95 of 2,440
Wrong post
Woops, thanks XERO1 for the heads up :)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #96 of 2,440

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #98 of 2,440
Not sure what to take about this guy first impressions, but he mentioned that original Z7 had emphasized mid-high, so there are glares from what he observed, where as MkII does not have this glare as in softer, more lush, less boomy and tighter + more punchy bass. I agree about the bass, and logical to improve upon, but to have more lush in the mid-high hmmm ? And Z7 has that emphasizes ? Hmm ? Ok...

You can see the new MK2 pads look to be the same as the Z1R pads. Though I wonder if they are authentic sheepskin? Z1R replacement-pads from Sony are $300! It looks like they are making the cups even more open.

I own both the Z7 and Z1R, and figure the MK2 is allowing for more vents to make the headphone in effect be semi-open like the open material cups of the Z1R?

Funny now we pay the same price as the Japan made Z7, but hopefully get better sound with the improvements? I’m actually a fan of the original Z7 though I do notice the areas where people could take-off points. This new headphone will most likely get an expanded out mid-soundstage acting as a canvas for the new mid-detail? Though with openings like that I guess the bass will also become more diffuse like the Z1R. At this point it seems the Z7 will go down in history with old-school bass placement. Our new headphone will be a direct step closer to making the new Z7 MK2 the Z1R little brother.

Don’t know if I want it, but I will definitely get a listen. It sure does look cool. You never know.................at $700 and sounding close to the Z1R we could very well have a massive headphone hit here?

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #99 of 2,440
This Mk2 is the headphone I've been waiting for ever since I sold my original Z7 a couple of years ago. As some prominent reviewers pointed out back in the day, it had its fair share of issues, but hopefully these design optimizations help in that regard. I already have a Z1R and Tazzy (TA-ZH1ES), so it's hard to justify getting these right away at anywhere near MSRP, but hopefully someday I'll hunt down a used or discount pair.
If you have the Z1R would the be any point in getting these?I thought these headphones are for ppl who can't afford the Z1R but gets them that bit closer,I would love to have a listen but not sure who will be selling them in the UK

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #100 of 2,440
If you have the Z1R would the be any point in getting these?I thought these headphones are for ppl who can't afford the Z1R but gets them that bit closer,I would love to have a listen but not sure who will be selling them in the UK

That's actually a very good question. I do love the Z1R, and but I owned the Z7 for a while before that and I feel that just in terms of overall signature and tonal balance it had its own special character to it that still compliments the Z1R in some way. The Z7M1 did have noticeable shortcomings so I do feel that if the M2 fixes things, they're probably both worth owning. Take my words with a pound of salt though, I'm a Sony fanboy that also owns an R10.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #101 of 2,440

That's actually a very good question. I do love the Z1R, and but I owned the Z7 for a while before that and I feel that just in terms of overall signature and tonal balance it had its own special character to it that still compliments the Z1R in some way. The Z7M1 did have noticeable shortcomings so I do feel that if the M2 fixes things, they're probably both worth owning. Take my words with a pound of salt though, I'm a Sony fanboy that also owns an R10.

My feeling exactly except that if the new MK2 becomes specificity a mini-Z1R it lessens the value for Z1R owners. But the MK2 IS the ticket for those wanting the Z1R sound on a budget if it does truly come out sounding that way.

The TA and Kimber cable seem to go a long way towards making the original Z7 more listenable. Though it’s the focused bass of the original Z7 that’s separating the Z1R and Z7. It’s that old style bass that makes owning the Z7 today a nice complement with the Z1R. But the Z1R always goes to show how Sony was a success in overcoming the midrange issues of the original Z7.

But it’s a great price point if infact it’s Z1R trickle-down technology. It’s just if this new headphone has much of the soundsignature of it’s older brother the Z1R; it’s makes it not really a needed commodity to Z1R owners. If the new MK2 had the original focused bass; but the Z1R midrange, then it would be something I would want.

Who wants a watered down Z1R if you own a Z1R?

At least the original Z7 had it’s own personality, even if it was rude in the
midrange. Lol

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #102 of 2,440
Wow you do like your Sony headphones, I've made this mistake many times that the flagship is always the one to go for, they designed the lower models with something missing from the flagship but like you said, models can have a certain quality of their own, I've got the Mrspeakers Aeon open and I love them, not flagship but the most enjoyment I've had from a headphone. I think the world would be a sadder place without Sony around

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #104 of 2,440
I think I'm gonna buy the Sony wi 1000xm3 for the gym,probably go for the silver to match my gym leggings.a tiny fan on the outside of each ear cup would be nice to cool my ears while training

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back