Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,426 of 2,453
Even after owning an LCD2C for over a month, I still reach for the Z7M2 more than any other headphone I own. Honestly I think I prefer the Z7M2 over the much more respected LCD2C...The LCD2C may reach down lower but the Z7M2 is more impactful and to me more satisfying in it's bass response. The Z7M2 also has more treble presence. I've been listening the the new record from The Strokes, The New Abnormal, and to me it sounds much more enjoyable on the Z7M2 compared to the LCD2C. Somethijng about this record just suits the Z really well.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #1,429 of 2,453
Even after owning an LCD2C for over a month, I still reach for the Z7M2 more than any other headphone I own. Honestly I think I prefer the Z7M2 over the much more respected LCD2C...The LCD2C may reach down lower but the Z7M2 is more impactful and to me more satisfying in it's bass response. The Z7M2 also has more treble presence. I've been listening the the new record from The Strokes, The New Abnormal, and to me it sounds much more enjoyable on the Z7M2 compared to the LCD2C. Somethijng about this record just suits the Z really well.

Same here. The LCD2C lacks slam and without equalization it seems to me to be somehow shouty.
Plus, the Audeze is much harder to drive. I use my Fiio X7 mk2 to great satisfaction with the Z7M2, but its shouty and lacking presence with the Audeze.
A good desktop amp (in my case Oppo Ha-1) solves Audeze's most issues although.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,430 of 2,453
What do you think about mids? Are vocals recessed in relation to bass and treble?

Yes, to me it's a V-shaped headphone. I have to EQ 1kHz around 3-4 dB to get it to a satisfying amount.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,431 of 2,453
Same here. The LCD2C lacks slam and without equalization it seems to me to be somehow shouty.
Plus, the Audeze is much harder to drive. I use my Fiio X7 mk2 to great satisfaction with the Z7M2, but its shouty and lacking presence with the Audeze.
A good desktop amp (in my case Oppo Ha-1) solves Audeze's most issues although.
Yeah even driving both from my Jotunheim I tend to prefer the Z on many albums. There are certain albums that the LCD2C is magic with though. The Audeze seems to really shine with fast paced progressive rock/metal. I love Tools Fear Inoculum on the Audeze, for instance.

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #1,433 of 2,453
What do you think about mids? Are vocals recessed in relation to bass and treble?
I had both z7 & z7m2, and I think the z7 had more recessed trebles issue.
The stock z7m2 sounds balanced to me.

I wonder how the Denon AH-D7200 Compares to the Sony?

Or maybe it’s not fair to compare them.
It is fair, as they both are similar in performance, with different signature.

The Denon costs more, and in stock form has a bit less trebles than the sony, but with a great natural tone.

The Sony in stock form has nice smooth & slightly larger soundstage.
:)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,434 of 2,453
I tried the Sony MDR-z7m2. I find the pads to compress flat and both ears touch the drivers. Clamp pressure doesn't seem bad. I guess the foam is just too soft. Also, the pad material causes my ears to become sweaty pretty quickly. I found a decent pair of Amazon warehouse returns for $484 and it looks like they're going back. The sound did not impress me enough either. The bass was good and they seem pretty V-shaped, which I do enjoy for a change, but the comfort was just lacking for me. I think I preferred the DT-770 over these and might try those again (would want a removable cable mod), or shoot for another closed-back like the Eikon or LCD-2 closed. Closed back might not even be a preference now.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,435 of 2,453
I tried the Sony MDR-z7m2. I find the pads to compress flat and both ears touch the drivers. Clamp pressure doesn't seem bad. I guess the foam is just too soft. Also, the pad material causes my ears to become sweaty pretty quickly. I found a decent pair of Amazon warehouse returns for $484 and it looks like they're going back. The sound did not impress me enough either. The bass was good and they seem pretty V-shaped, which I do enjoy for a change, but the comfort was just lacking for me. I think I preferred the DT-770 over these and might try those again (would want a removable cable mod), or shoot for another closed-back like the Eikon or LCD-2 closed. Closed back might not even be a preference now.
Are you looking for more attack? Have you tried the DT 1770 Pro?

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,436 of 2,453
Are you looking for more attack? Have you tried the DT 1770 Pro?

I'm looking for some slam and warmth, but not too much. The TH-X00 were too bassy. I am currently using the Hd6xx and Auteur and find I have to increase volume to get bass impact, then midrange is too forward. I think I am sensitive to midrange and have always v-shaped stereos since I can remember. I am looking for a bit of a V-shape or recessed mids and want to use my Hiby R6 without EQ. I am even thinking of looking at IEM's. I apparently am the most wishy washy person. What's weird is sometimes the Auteur sound perfect, then sometimes there is something wrong with them that I can't quite put my finger on. Metal571 mentioned a bit forward mids with them and maybe that's it. I find I reach for the HD-6xx lately over the Auteur. Someday I hope to enjoy music with headphones instead of use music to analyze headphones. :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,437 of 2,453
I'm looking for some slam and warmth, but not to much. The TH-X00 were too bassy. I am currently using the Hd6xx and Auteur and find I have to increase volume to get bass impact, then midrange is too forward. I think I am sensitive to midrange and have always v-shaped stereos since I can remember. I am looking for a bit of a V-shape or recessed mids and want to use my Hiby R6 without EQ. I am even thinking of looking at IEM's. I apparently am the most wishy washy person. What's weird is sometimes the Auteur sound perfect, then sometimes there is something wrong with them that I can't quite put my finger on. Metal571 mentioned a bit forward mids with them and maybe that's it. I find I reach for the HD-6xx lately over the Auteur. Someday I hope to enjoy music with headphones instead of use music to analyze headphones. :)

That's interesting that you would say that because I've found my HD6XXs to almost have too much bass at times.
I heard the DT 1770 Pro headphones were super detailed but also really aggressive. Maybe check out the 17XX from Drop? I've got the Meze 99 Noirs on the way which are supposed to be both comfortable and warm.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,438 of 2,453
That's interesting that you would say that because I've found my HD6XXs to almost have too much bass at times.
I heard the DT 1770 Pro headphones were super detailed but also really aggressive. Maybe check out the 17XX from Drop? I've got the Meze 99 Noirs on the way which are supposed to be both comfortable and warm.
Did you test drive the Meze 99 Classic or Neo? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your comparison of the Noir vs. the Classic and Neo.

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,440 of 2,453
I switched back to Eikon pads on the Auteurs. Sounding good this morning...

Doing it right
Everybody will be dancing and we'll
Feeling it right
Everybody will be dancing and be
Doing it right
boooooom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back